Tofu Recipes?

Options
Maidofmer
Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
I'm trying to lay of chicken for a while and can't eat beef. Anyone know any good tofu recipes?

Replies

• Curvatures
    Options
    Tofu coconut curry - it is fabulous, super fast, and you can toss in whatever veggies are laying about. The coconut milk is very fatty, but it's one of the really healthy fats.

1 can of coconut milk
    about 2-3 tblsp red curry paste, to taste (the thai kitchen one is often available in regular supermarkets, and not very spicy, unlike the real asian ones.)

melt it together in a pan
    toss in your veggies (peppers, onions, snow peas, scallions, mushrooms, broccoli, shredded carrots, napa cabage, etc. ),
    Heat through, but don't overcook the veggies, crispier is better :)

meanwhile...

fry your tofu cubes in another pan in a tiny bit of coconut oil, just till they are getting brown and crispy on a couple sides.
    Toss tofu cubes into sauce, sprinkle with cilantro (if you like it) or some fresh basil leaves, or both.

Hm, I think I'm making this tonight...
  • beebee0925
    beebee0925 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    bump
  • underthecherrytree
    underthecherrytree Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sadedoes
    Sadedoes Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    1. Wrap a block of tofu in some kitchen paper (one square is enough), then in a kitchen towel, put it between two dishes, and then put some weight on top 2kg -4.5lb. Press the tofu for at least 30 minutes, 1-2 hours is best.

2. Prepare a marinade with for instance: soy sauce, olive oil, chili peppers, garlic, ginger, pinch of sugar.

3. After the tofu has been pressed, cut it in slices, about 5mm (1/4in) thick, and marinate for at least 15 minutes. Why do we press? So the tofu has less water content and absorbs the flavours of the marinade better.

4. Heat a pan, dry fry the tofu by simply picking it from the marinade and putting it on the pan. Best to let it undisturbed for a few minutes then turn so it gets crispy. Remove from pan and keep warm.

5. Saute-steam a nice amount of veggies in the same pan (I like to add a couple tbsp of water / broth so I don't need to add oil). Add the rest of the marinade and reduce. Add the tofu to give it a quick warm up.

Serve over rice / noodles.
  • Sadedoes
    Sadedoes Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Another one:

1. Press the tofu as above. Honestly, just do this all the time when using firm / extra firm tofu. Then slice.

2. Cover with some BBQ sauce of your choice (I like a pomegranate one). Put in an oven dish and bake for 20mins at 200C / 400F(?)

Serve with veggies and roasted tatters, for instance.
  • NixxyPetal
    Options
    Press 400g tofu as someone Sadedoes described above, then crumble and fry in a little oil. Take it off the heat while you fry (at least) 2 onions, 2 peppers, 2 courgettes and as many mushrooms as you want. Stir in the tofu and a can of sweetcorn - you can also add some spring onions if you want. Add some spices - cumin, chilli flakes, that kind of thing. Add some cheese, stir until it melts. Top with fresh coriander, and serve with salsa and low fat sour cream. Unbelievably nice. Having this tonight!
  • auntjenny74
    auntjenny74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    There were some tasty recipes on this thread last week as well!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/858165-cooking-tofu