Easy Calculator!! BMI, RMR, calories, HR

Options
I really wish I would have had a link to this VERY easy calculator when I first started with MFP. So many people try to explain TDEE and BMR, RMR and it is soooo confusing!! Web MD has a "BMI calculator Plus" which gives personal results on 6 different weight and fitness measurements. If you are trying to figure out your healthy caloric intake, as well as track your BMI throughout this process, this tool is an EASY way to do so. I just wanted to pass it along as I thought it may be useful for others. Hope it helps!

http://www.webmd.com/diet/calc-bmi-plus

Replies

• par57
    par57 Posts: 74
    Options
    THANK YOU!!!
  • Routerninja
    Options
    I always have an issue with the "Healthy weight range"...

Your Personal Summary
    Height: 6' 8"
    Current Weight: 476
    Current Pant Size: 54
    Weight Goal: Lose 2 pounds per week
    BMI: 52.3
    Waist to Height Ratio: 0.68
    Healthy Body Weight Range: 168 and 227
    Target Heart Rate: 91 to 136
    Target Caloric Intake to Meet Weight Goal: 3460

If I was between 168 and 227 I'd be dead, or well on my way there.

I'm looking more like 270-300 as a reasonable goal.
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Huh, this is really cool :)

ETA: The only problem I have with this is that it goes off of pants size and not waist measurement... I wear my pants fairly low, so that skewed my result
  • BlairCottier
    BlairCottier Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Your Personal Summary

Whatever your goals are, its up to you. I highly doubt you would be dead though. I know many guys who are that height and at that weight range and are very healthy. This tool is just to give you an idea, and it explains a little in terms most people can understand. Good luck to you in your journey.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Your Personal Summary

Why do you believe you'd be dead if you weighed 227 lbs?
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    It's too simple for my taste. Asking for pants size instead of waist and hip measurements can lead to misleading results. As always, the normal weight range is too high for me. The calorie recommendation of 1200 is a tad too high for me if I'm in full-on weight loss mode. The writer seems to believe in "starvation mode."
  • Fit_Mama84
    Fit_Mama84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I really liked the second part about the body shapes.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Thanks for link, easy to use and seemed to work OK for me
  • bcattoes
    Options
    If you scroll down, there is a chart of waist size in inches to height.
  • BlairCottier
    Options
    It's too simple for my taste. Asking for pants size instead of waist and hip measurements can lead to misleading results. As always, the normal weight range is too high for me. The calorie recommendation of 1200 is a tad too high for me if I'm in full-on weight loss mode. The writer seems to believe in "starvation mode."

I always recommend using multiple sources when figuring out a plan. I personally looked at soooo many different tools and methods doing research before I started MFP, and before now I would have agreed with you, but now I believe that going below 1200 cals is not good for your body. Yes, you may lose 5 pounds in a week, but eventually you will gain it back. Most doctors would also agree with that premise. Using this tool as a starting point will help most beginners. But I also think everyone should check multiple sources and use an "average" of the data that is found.
  • BlairCottier
    Options
    THANK YOU!!!

Your welcome!! Good luck to you!
  • justme1403
    Options
    thanks so much :smile:
  • Active37
    Active37 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am not sure how correct this is because it is saying I should eat 1200 calories to loose weight here, but many on here are telling me thats too low because its under my BMR
  • BlairCottier
    Options
    I am not sure how correct this is because it is saying I should eat 1200 calories to loose weight here, but many on here are telling me thats too low because its under my BMR

MFP is telling you that? Or the Web Md calculator is telling you that? 1200 is right at the fine line. How tall are you? Many shorter people can eat 1200 cals and not be malnourished. However, if you are taller with bigger bone structure, in my opinion, you should be eating more than that. (I would NEVER claim to be any kind of expert, I have just done a lot of research throughout my 6 months being on MFP) I started my goals at 1200cals 6 months ago, then I stalled in weight loss, so I upped my cals to 1300, then to 1500. Each time I went up, I would lose more weight. Sometimes I net under 1200 calories, but my goal is set up at 1540 and I am actually eating around 1600 to 1700, depending on how much I work out. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but seriously, the more you eat the more you can lose weight (if you do it correctly).
  • Active37
    Active37 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Both the MFP and the WebMD are saying I should eat 1200 to loose weight. I have talked to people on here last few days explaining to me that the MFP is not exactly correct and I need to calculate my BMR and TDEE. So I am looking at more needing like 1450 calories a day according to that. Its odd that the WebMD told me to also eat 1200 though. I am 5"6 and 3/4 basically and right now I weight 155 looking to get about 130-135. According to that WebMD thing if I was 159 I would be overweight. And that my body shape is concerning. I am just starting to get really confused and I want to do this right :(
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    the pants size variable seems stupid to me. for one, my pants size can vary immensely based on the store i'm shopping at and the cut of the pants. secondly, i have wide hips due entirely to bone structure, so the result of that could indicate that i'm unhealthy which is just stupid at 115 pounds and 5'4".
  • Routerninja
    Options

Your Personal Summary

Why do you believe you'd be dead if you weighed 227 lbs?

Ok, bad choice of words, But I don't think I'd look healthy at that weight.. I was right around 300 as a bouncer in the 90's and I looked good then, just a little on the heavy side with my frame size. being both tall and wide (regardless of weight, getting skinny isn't going to make my shoulders or hips any narrower) is not fun.
  • bcattoes
    Options

MFP will only tell you to eat 1200 if you are sedentary and do no exercise. If you exercise and are using MFP correctly, you need to log it and eat the extra calories.

WebMD gives you a fixed amount of calories, taking exercise into account. Some people find eating a consistent amount of caloires easier, others like to add as they burn them through exercise.

Do whatever works best for you. But, if used correctly, neither plan will have you eat 1200 total calories if you do more than sit all day long.
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    I think it is better to go off BF%: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Well, it's worked out great for me anyway. Different things will work for different people.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Thanks!