OUCH

Options
My right quad is killing me. Why only the right one? Since I was doing squats shouldn't they be the same?

Namaste, Kristine

Replies

• harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Are you right or left handed? Free weights or machines?
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Our bodies are funny. I've had experiences where one body part aches on one side but not the other (i.e right glute sore but left ham sore from squats) What I've read is that if there's a weakness in your body, it attempts to do an exercise with the least amount of stress possible. if this involves recruiting other muscle groups to "assist", then that's what your body does. Maybe you're right side dominant and your right can place much of the strain on your quads where your left has to diffuse the stress to other muscle groups.

You may also just be favoring your right side, or leaning a bit, which you need to correct if this is the case.
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    It's possible that you were using one leg more than the other?

For this reason on leg day I do squats AND single leg presses. I find that one of my legs is always a bit stronger than the other.

I hope it gets to feeling better soon!
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Whichever quad is hurting is obviously much weaker that the other one... Everyone has a more dominant side than the other. :wink:
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    ps you can always train single legs on a leg press or with bulgarian split squats to correct a side strength imbalance.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/correcting-a-strength-imbalance-qa.html
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    How does it hurt? DOMS or does it feel like knives poking into the muscle when you flex it?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I am right handed but, that is my weeker side. I was hit by a car may years ago.

I don't know what DOMS means, sorry.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I am right handed but, that is my weeker side. I was hit by a car may years ago.

I don't know what DOMS means, sorry.

DOMS = Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness

Muscle soreness that is usually felt within 12-48 hours of exercise and often happens when you're first beginning a workout program or when you signficantly change your program. Experts believe we get sore because of microscopic tears in the muscle fibers. Some symptoms of DOMS include:
    Stiff or tight muscles
    Fatigue
    Weakness
    Muscle pain

(definition got from http://exercise.about.com/od/injurytreatmenthelp/g/doms.htm)

Can you describe the pain?
  • hark15
    hark15 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Depends on the type of pain you are feeling. If its a more acute pain as opposed to muscle soreness it would be possible for you to hurt one leg and not the other - just the strange way our bodies work!
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I think it is delayed muscle soreness on my non-dominate leg. I'll just be more thoughtful about this from now on.