Running after ankle injuries

Options
It has been a long-term goal of mine to be a runner. I do fairly well on elliptical machines and generally like the feel of them, but I could run outside and participate in 5k, half marathons, etc if I were a regular runner.

My only issue is that I have sprained my right ankle about 5 times during the 25 years I've been alive, requiring crutches and walking boots when I do injure it. It has caused some permanent tendon damage to my right ankle, and I notice it is far less flexible, and not as strong as my left ankle. I also notice it swells more than the left one, as there will be marks left on the right ankle if I wear tight socks, but not the left one. My last injury was about 2 years ago.

Part of the reason I'm afraid to run--- really run--- not slowly jog, walk quickly or simply walk, is because I am so afraid of spraining it again. It is so very painful and completely debilitating. The last injury I had I was in a walking boot for 2 months and it completely ruined my summer, and caused me to gain about 10lbs.

Is there a special pair of shoes I can buy, or is it OK to wear those ankle braces (the ones you can get at drug stores and they look like ace bandages)? Anyone else have a similar situation?

Replies

• meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    You really should discuss this with your dr to get their take on it. Any responses you get here will be how individuals who aren't experts have handled their injuries.

People do run with additional supports - such as athletic tape, ace bandages, etc. I have definitely done it - like you I have some chronic problems with my ankles due to a high number of severe sprains in a short period of time.

You're going to want to strengthen the muscles around your ankle to give it support - it helps.

If you do decide to tackle the running, do so carefully. Take it slow, run/walk in the beginning, and listen to your body (or in this case, your ankles :) ). Also - get fit at a running shoe store where they will analyze your gait and recommend appropriate footwear for you.

I've been running for about 7 years now. I ran my first full marathon last fall. Weak ankles don't always take you out of the game, you just have to be smart and careful about how you train.

:)