Night Time Snacking - How Do I Break the Habit?

Options
After looking at my food journals, I realize that the time in which I eat the most unhealthy food is late at night. How can I break this habit, or if not what kind of things can I try and eat? I always just grab the easiest thing to eat, which usually means chips or other junk food. Help?

Replies

• sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    If it fits into your calories, it really doesnt matter. Is an apple better than a 100 calorie pack or 1/2 cup of ice cream, well yes. But snacking late isnt going to kill all progress. Notice I said snacking late. I would not advise you to eat a full 500+ calorie meal then go straight to bed. That can affect your sleep and digestion.
  • GanjaBall
    GanjaBall Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water and decaf tea. Doing a short yoga session when the urge to eat hits helps too, brings me back to mindful behavior.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I have little self-control when it comes to junk food, so I simply don't buy it. If it's not in the house, I can't snack on it, and usually after wandering around the kitchen and looking in cabinets for a while and only finding healthy stuff the cravings tend to dissipate. :)
  • canadiandee
    canadiandee Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I save the majority of my calories for later in the day. Then, beginning around 5, I space out my remaining calories. A light dinner, an apple, a piece of cheese, some frozen mango, some sushi ... I just have healthy stuff lined up and as soon as I feel a little hungry, I nab one of my preferred snacks and I'm usually able to make it to the end of the evening.

My husband is the exact opposite of me. He has the bulk of his calories early in the day and that helps him keep his eating in check for the rest of the day.
  • TheRealPDouble
    Options
    Hook the fridge and pantry with an alarm system that will go off when you open them in the middle of the night.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with snacking at night. If it fits into your calorie goal and you're hitting your macros numbers, then eat it.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Snack on healthier things. Veggies and fruits are much lower in cals than chips, etc. Start there, then see if you can find ways to change the snack urge itself.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Simple...you take action on the choice.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. I have been trying to change this bad habit. That is actually my biggest downfall. I used to buy a big bag of dill pickle chips and eat them all within two nights. Now, I cut up a bananna and strawberries and drizzle some honey on them, or I make popcorn on the stove. I also try to eat maybe a few crackers.
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I am having the same issue right now. Night time is the worst. I can go all day, eat the right amount of calories and make good choices.... but night time rolls around and I just can`t help myself....out comes the chips and chocolate. During my 50lb weight loss I still ate those food....but mesured them out.... I think I just need to get back to basics...

I am going to keep chips and chocolate out of the house...if I am hungry find a healthier alternative.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Get the junk food out of your house, and go to bed early. I had the same problem and this is how I fixed it.
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    If you don't buy it, you can't snack on it, right? :) A hot drink like tea or some of that international foods instant stuff is usually enough to distract me when the late-night munchies hit. Try those?
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Oikos fat free frozen yogurt. Great late night snack. Lots of protein. Sometimes I have soy milk or wheat thins or protein powder with Greek yogurt. Don't have to break the habit. Just feed it right.
  • pixiee88
    Options
    I have little self-control when it comes to junk food, so I simply don't buy it. If it's not in the house, I can't snack on it, and usually after wandering around the kitchen and looking in cabinets for a while and only finding healthy stuff the cravings tend to dissipate. :)

This works for me too! I've lost count the number of times I've searched the kitchen trying to find something "naughty" to snack on...but obviously finding nothing because I haven't bought it so opting for something a little more healthy and nutritious or nothing at all. I like to tell myself the desperate raid of the kitchen burns a few extra calories too haha.
  • amwoodruff
    amwoodruff Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hot herbal tea works for me, most nights. Peppermint is my go-to, since I think it tastes ok without adding sugar or cream. Vanilla Rooibos is another one I do.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options

^This^

If it ain't there, I can't eat it.
    Also, having carrot batons ready to munch on as they are sweet and crunchy.
    If all else fails, have a bath and go to bed!
  • kmmpink
    kmmpink Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Try painting your nails every time you get the urge to snack at night if you have already eaten all of your calories for the day. You surely will not want to mess up your nails digging into a chip bag! And you should feel a little better after your nails are always pretty and people compliment them! Good luck!
  • mistyladidah
    mistyladidah Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    No advice on breaking the habit... I eat most of my calories from 4 til 12. I don't know if it would work for you, but if you have the app, you can try this.

I plan my day roughly, leaving room for things. I know I personally aim for a ton of protein, so I usually start with that, adding carbs and fats that go with them. Then I look at my pie chart for the day, and see what areas I need more of, and about how much. Then I pick a snack that gives me some of that. I go back and check my chart again, and repeat until my calories are used, trying to keep my percentages close to where they should be. Them I alter portion sizes until the percentages are right.

It takes some fiddling, but for me it's like a game all day, seeing if I can make my pie chart happy. Once I know my plan for the day, I can move stuff around and either eat the naughty stuff early or save it for before bed. If I have a late workout, dessert has gotten me through it.
  • bodicegoddess
    bodicegoddess Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Kellogg's Special K Cinnamon Pecan is what I've been going with as a late night snack replacement. It's delicious, sweet, and tastes a little bit like pie.
    We've also been stashing the junk foods in hard-to-reach or pain-in-the-butt cabinets so we don't go after them at my house.
  • Tatonka_usn
    Tatonka_usn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I've always had a problem with late night "grazing" as well. Having kids, there always seems to be a plethora of junk food around the pantry, and over time I'd hear it calling my name (even if I wasn't really hungry). Starting on the site, and utilizing the food journal, has really helped provided a tangible reminder of how much room I have to "cheat" on a given night. I've also made a concerted effort to keep "good" snacks around, to include a 2lb bag of baby carrots, miscellaneous fruit (I prefer grapes or bananas), and (most recently) have discovered Pop Light has a reduced butter popcorn which is only 20 calories per 1 cup serving. At 3 cups, I"m pretty much stuffed, and it's only 60 calories (popped). Soooo, there you have a couple options, but I certainly wish you luck!!!