Great ideas!
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    bump, always love the new ideas
  • DeeOnAMission
    DeeOnAMission Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I make them into burritos and/or tacos. I cook them until they're tender, drain, saute some onion in a little olive oil, add the lentils, and then season as I do tacos: chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika, and salt. mix well (sometimes needs a little water to spread the seasoning around-just a couple TBSP). Cook until the water's gone if you added some. Then put in a taco shell or soft tortilla (I use the low carb varieties), add cheese, salsa, lettuce, onions, etc.

This,mmmm. You can also cook them as above and just sprinkel some soft cheese and avocado, skipping the taco shell. soooo good.
  • dukesangel
    dukesangel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My go to lentil recipe is cooking the lentils till soft and tossing with some sauteed onions and peppers. Then some spices (usually an italian mix) and topping it over some seasoned wild rice. Sometimes I'll add cheese sometimes I'll just eat it like that.
  • casandrasdsd
    casandrasdsd Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Look up on youtube a recipe called Peserattu. Its like a savory pancake made from lentil batter. I love it!
  • Sproutlady135
    Options
    Hey there, Here is how I prepare sprouted lentils. Soak 1/3 of your bag of lentils in water overnight. Anytime the next day drain the lentils in a strainer and leave them in the strainer but cover them with a towel. Run water on them twice a day until they grow a small tail. (a couple of days) That's it. Put them in a container in the fridge and sprinkle them on your salads as an excellent source of protein. According to studies done by Chavan & Kadam (1989), Cuddeford (1989) and Shippard (2005), changes during the sprouting process result in:

* Increases in protein quality
    * Increases in crude fiber content
    * Increases in essential fatty acids
    * Increases in vitamin content

Protein

Your daily calorie intake should consist of 10 to 35 percent protein, or 50 to 175 g per day for a 2,000-calorie diet. Getting adequate amounts of protein supports virtually every bodily function. It promotes healthy muscles, cells, hair, nails and skin, and provides you with energy. Protein is vital for the health and development of children as well. A cup of sprouted lentils contains nearly 7 g of protein.
    Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates are your body’s main source of energy, and MayoClinic.com recommends getting most of your carbs from whole grains, fruits, vegetables and legumes, making sprouted lentils an ideal choice. Your calorie intake should be 45 to 65 percent carbs, which is 225 to 325 g per day for a 2,000-calorie diet. A cup of sprouted lentils contributes about 17 g to your daily goal.
    Iron

A cup of sprouted lentils contains about 2.5 mg of iron. With daily intake recommendations being 8 mg for men and 18 mg for women, sprouted lentils are a good way to ensure an adequate intake. Iron aids in transporting oxygen throughout your blood for delivery to internal organs that rely on it for healthy function. A deficiency could result in anemia, which produces symptoms that include weakness and fatigue.
    Sodium

A diet too high in sodium increases your risk of high blood pressure, which contributes to heart disease. Most people should get no more than 2,300 mg of sodium per day, making sprouted lentils a healthy choice, with just 8 mg per cup.
    Potassium

The daily intake recommendation for potassium is 2,000 mg, and a cup of sprouted lentils adds 248 mg to this total. Potassium is important for several aspects of your health, including digestion, bone health and contraction of your muscles. Adequate potassium intake is also associated with a healthy blood pressure level, protecting you from developing heart disease.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/528531-nutritional-content-of-sprouted-lentils/#ixzz2IeWbaKSe
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    bumples got some good ones here
  • aalpass
    aalpass Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    This is a butter chicken recipe http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-makhani-indian-butter-chicken/ Looks daunting with so many ingredients but i think it tastes like restaurant quality! I adapt it and instead of putting chicken in I put in chickpeas, lentils, and as many other types of beans I can get my hands on. I make a massive batch, freeze portions, then take it to work, served with quinoa. YUM!
  • Imanido
    Imanido Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Great ideas to try!! I am always also looking for variation in pulses´ recipes, at home no one wants to even try them.
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Lentils, tin of tomatos and then any leftover veggies. Chuck everything in pan and leave to cook until lentils are soft. Add whatever flavour you desire, I usually use thai red curry paste or regular curry powder or Oregeno and Garlic - Italian
  • Imanido
    Imanido Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Look up on youtube a recipe called Peserattu. Its like a savory pancake made from lentil batter. I love it!

What a brilliant idea! Thank you so much for posting this. This could be a healthy alternative to the normal tortilla wraps and fill with chicken, cheese or whatever you would like.
  • aalpass
    aalpass Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've just had some red lentil curry for dinner today!! Was so delish!! Low cal too :)

http://pinchofyum.com/red-curry-lentils

After reading this forum today I specially made this for dinner tonight. And YES my gosh so good. My daughter (5) helped with all the cooking and ate it too. We left out the cayenne and added a bit of greek yoghurt to serve just to keep the heat down. Highly recommend! Oh and we had it with papadums.
  • CardioKnitter
    Options
    I just cooked some red lentils for lunch today. It was my second attempt and it was super good. I melted some coconut oil in a pan and then added the lentils, coating them and browning them for about a minute. Then i added beef broth and a splash of barefoot moscato wine and let it simmer till they were all yummy. It was super simple but very very good. My lil sis is only 8 and she even ate them and wanted me to make her some. I ate it with some steamed broccoli. very good.

I do want to try the curry though. Something a little more complex

yeah ingredients
    1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil
    1/4 red lentils
    1/2 of beef broth
    splash of wine of choice (mine was sweet, but it was all I had. Tasted pretty good)
  • janinems1
    Options
    I have read where lentils are a great substitute for ground beef. To that end, I have used them in spaghetti sauce, lasagna, tacos and stuffed peppers. I have tried meatloaf, meatballs, and burgers, but I can't seem to get them to hold together-in spite of mixing them with other ingredients including egg. They always seem to fall apart. Anyone have any suggestions for me?