Wedding rings getting loose

Options
I am sure others have had this issue, but my wedding band and engagement ring are getting pretty loose. When do you get them resized? I am thinking of waiting until I am 1/2 way to my goal (46 lbs. from now). Any ideas?

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Mine haven't become lose yet but my plan is to wait until I am at goal and if they need to be resized than I will get them done.

I would recommend waiting until you are at your goal. If you resize them half way through you may need to get them resized again... depending on the rings you may not be able to do it twice. If you decide to wait either wear the rings on a necklace until you are at goal or get one of the plastic/rubber sizers that you put on the bottom of your ring which makes it smaller without having to resize it.
  • SinCity2003
    SinCity2003 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I would also wait until you reach goal. Most jewelry stores sell a ring guard that will get you through until you reach goal. I got mine at Kay's and they run $20, but they didn't charge me because that's where my rings came from and that's where they will ultimately be sized at. Depending on the manager, you might get the same deal :)

Also, I have an irrational fear that they will send back fake diamonds when they send out my ring, so I want to keep it to a minimum LOL.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I rarely wear my engagement ring but I just bought a sizer for it
  • mickiebabs
    mickiebabs Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    When I lost 60 pounds 2 years ago, I bought a ring guard so that I could still wear them. For our anniversary, my husband bought me a temporary set, simple plain band, until I was finished with my weightloss journey and then we'd get them resized.
  • sarahanncarson
    sarahanncarson Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I didn't get mine resized until they didn't stay on my finger anymore. Until that happened I hated to admit it, but I used some tape to take up some of the room. lol
  • kdz526
    kdz526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Yeah this is starting to happen. Plus the cold weather makes my fingers shrink even more. I am not sure what i'll do when it happens.
  • Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My wife and I Haven't had ours resized yet (although she's at goal; i'm not yet) we are using "proxy" rings for the time being (A couple of hematite rings we found at faire that we really liked the look of - super inexpensive until we re-do the real ones) Unfortunately I shattered mine in about a hundred pieces yesterday smacking a stuck lid (Whoops) But at a cost of about $2 a piece they're pretty replaceable :)
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Put them on a chain and wear them around your neck. That's what I did years ago when my wedding set got too big and I wanted to wait to get them resized.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    My husband had lost about 30# ...... halfway to his goal ..... and last summer in the middle of a whitewater rafting trip, we all saw his wedding ring go flying through the air ...... oopsies :sad:
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Wait until you are at goal. Resizing can often damage the integrity of the ring if it is done more than once. I love the idea of proxy rings that people are suggesting. When I lost the weight before (pre-wedding and baby) I bought a package of plastic ring guards for about $5. That did the trick until I was ready to resize.
  • kimika23
    kimika23 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of getting $2 "proxy" rings! Good thought!

What's weird. My wedding ring still fits, but is just a little looser. It's a size 3-1/2 (I've always had small fingers). But on my right hand, I used to wear a size 5 on my pointer and middle finger and now I can only wear a 4 on my pointer and middle! Mysteriously shrinking right hand???? :huh:
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I had it done when my ring went flying across the grocery store as reached for a box of cereal. I found out that our jeweler did it for free, so there was no need to wait. Besides they didn't really shrink that much more over the last 25 pounds.
  • lythy77
    lythy77 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    this topic made me smile.. yesterday i managed to get my wedding ring back on after a long time and it now spins on my finger nicely....
  • RyLaneB
    RyLaneB Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My husband had lost about 30# ...... halfway to his goal ..... and last summer in the middle of a whitewater rafting trip, we all saw his wedding ring go flying through the air ...... oopsies :sad:

Kinda the same thing here...We put off sizing our rings, mine are not too loose yet, my husband's however was very loose. He has lost about 20 and over the summer his ring slid off while swimming in the river :cry: Cost me way more to replace it then the sizing we put off would have!
  • MonolithTMA
    MonolithTMA Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Just be really aware of how the rings are moving on your hand. I lost mine over the Christmas holiday, it slipped off my extremely dry hand into a big cardboard recycling dumpster. Fortunately my ring was nowhere near as expensive as my wife's. My new ring is the same size, but seems to want to stay on better.