Strength Training help?

Options
Hi, was wondering if anyone could give me any advice re: strength training. I've heard it's quite effective for burning fat if you're slimmer to begin with?

So far I've just been doing loads of cardio & crunches, as well as classes. Doing one class involving full body weights for 1hr a week, but I get the feeling this isn't enough!

Am I supposed to use the machines or the weights at the gym - I'm really unsure and don't want to end up looking muscly as I'm quite slim and my arms especially are stick thin. Just want an effective way to burn the fat, & was wondering if anyone could advise me!!

Thank-you
Sindy :smile:

Replies

• aj_20_04
    Options
    At my gym the girls that are in the best shape are the ones always at the free weight area. No idea what their routine will look like however im sure google can help you along with people on here.
  • sindy_1989
    Options
    Hmmm... just think I'd look like a bit of an idiot over with all the massive men in the gym! Lol.

Yeah I'll have a look through google - just need to figure out the right workout for me.
  • jmariscal3
    jmariscal3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I was in this boat, too, and I can tell you to go to bodybuilding.com. There are tons of tips, forums, and workouts to use. It helped me out a lot and I am in week 3 of the LiveFit program on there with Jamie Eason. Good luck!
  • MudDancer
    MudDancer Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Use the free weights, you'll see better results vs using the machines
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    IMO free weights are better than machines. It's a more natural range of motion.

Google Starting Strength, and Stronglifts. I'm doing New Rules of Lifting for Women, but I think the first two I listed are a little more straight forward.
  • denisedwrt
    denisedwrt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you don't know how to use the machines/weights, I would highly suggest at least one session with a personal trainer or take a weight training class. And, unless you are using steroids, as woman, you will not become bulky. Weight training also helps increase bone density and speeds up your metabolism which helps you burn more fat.
  • dmeyers1969
    dmeyers1969 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    If u belong to a gym, see if they offer sessions with a trainer just to learn the equipment or a single training session
    Weight training adds lots of benefits regardless of your size

Good luck
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    First off, exercise, regardless of the type, doesn't burn fat. It burns calories. Where those calories come from depend on a variety of things... diet being a big one. So if your diet isn't right, exercise won't have much impact.

Now, to your question. In most cases, free weights are going to be more effective than machines, provided your form is good. Actually, form is important for all strength training, but even more so when you start talking about heavy free weights.

It sounds like you know what you need to do... so quit overthinking it and just go do it. Free weight, machines, body weight... doesn't matter, just so long as you're putting in the work, which means really stressing the muscles. Do the work, reap the rewards.
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Check out New Rules of Lifting for Women. Great plan :)
  • aj_20_04
    Options
    Hmmm... just think I'd look like a bit of an idiot over with all the massive men in the gym! Lol.

Yeah I'll have a look through google - just need to figure out the right workout for me.

I know what you mean. In my gym, apart from the few regulars, very few females venture in to the free weights area. I can assure you guys will not look at you funny, if they do then they need to reevaluate what they are doing at the gym them self as women can benift as much as guys do from free weights.

Go for it, ull never look back!

P.S have you ever saw the bum of a girl that squats? ooft!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you know what you need to do... so quit overthinking it and just go do it. Free weight, machines, body weight... doesn't matter, just so long as you're putting in the work, which means really stressing the muscles. Do the work, reap the rewards.

^^ This. Don't over analyze it. Just get out there and get started. You're not going to get too much muscle or look like a body builder over night just by touching the weights. It takes years and years of work to do that kind of thing. Women generally don't build that much muscle anyway.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

This.

Stronglifts 5x5
    Starting Strength

If you don't have a gym or don't want to go to a gym you can check out

Convict COnditioning
    You Are Your Own Gym

Just want to clarify. Weight lifting isn't the best "fat burning" exercise. Weight lifting will help preserve and in some cases gain muscle while in a calorie deficit. But you'll still need to be in a calorie deficit if your goal is to lose bodyfat.
  • sindy_1989
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the responses guys! Guess I'll have to be brave and venture into the weights room. Lol.

I'll have a look on google first & have a think about the personal trainer. Try and work out what's best for me and suck It up and get on with it :)

Thanks for all your help :)
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

This.

Stronglifts 5x5
    Starting Strength

If you don't have a gym or don't want to go to a gym you can check out

Convict COnditioning
    You Are Your Own Gym

Just want to clarify. Weight lifting isn't the best "fat burning" exercise. Weight lifting will help preserve and in some cases gain muscle while in a calorie deficit. But you'll still need to be in a calorie deficit if your goal is to lose bodyfat.

I do NROLW at home :) I didn't feel comfortable at first either, so I just bought some equipment for home (most of it used). It worked out to less than what I would have paid for a year membership at the gym :)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Hi, was wondering if anyone could give me any advice re: strength training. I've heard it's quite effective for burning fat if you're slimmer to begin with?

So far I've just been doing loads of cardio & crunches, as well as classes. Doing one class involving full body weights for 1hr a week, but I get the feeling this isn't enough!

Am I supposed to use the machines or the weights at the gym - I'm really unsure and don't want to end up looking muscly as I'm quite slim and my arms especially are stick thin. Just want an effective way to burn the fat, & was wondering if anyone could advise me!!

Thank-you

Sindy :smile:

You can do whatever you want, and you are NOT going to get too bulky unless you have unusually high testosterone levels, or you are taking testosterone.

Lift weights as heavy as you can handle, and you'll end up with muscles, but not body builder muscles. I have been squatting, dead lifting, etc for months... I have arm muscles, but really can't see them unless I flex. I have pretty strong leg muscles, but they are not defined yet.
  • cbart2818
    cbart2818 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I love the NROLFW program. I have never lifted free weights in my life and now I am addicted! I do it at home, but check out your options and I am sure someone at the gym will be more than willing to give you a hand with them. Good luck!
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i used to hate planks. my trainer always made me do them and i did as i was told..once i saw the results of what those planks did for me then..well i dont complain any more.

for push ups,being a female, it is hard to do. i just did what i could -- the male version of pushups . if i couldnt do anymore i tried going half way down and holding myself in that position for ten seconds and then go up ..id do that as many times as i could. it helps to add upper body strength and its a killer

this is nice because you can do it without accessories and at home