2 years in...

Options
McFrench
McFrench Posts: 205 Member
I have been on MyFitnessPal for over 2 years now. I wanted to share my progress and story.

I am 32 years old, I have a 1 and 3 year old, and I work full time. If I can do this, so can you.

Here is my starting picture. I hate this picture. Here I am hiking with my son on my back...weighing my heaviest.
th_DSCN0682-1.jpg

I started a Biggest Loser competition at my gym January 2011. It was 8 weeks long, and I loved it. It was a great jump start to a new healthy lifestyle. I did the summer competition, and the fall. And in 2012, I did the January, summer and fall Biggest Loser again. Here is my January 2011 Before pictures, and my November 2012 after pictures.

Picture.jpg?t=1358800364

I've accomplished a lot along the way. I went from running 30 seconds, to running a 5k. Last May, I ran a 12K (7.4 miles). I also ran a 15K (9 miles) trail run up and down our local mountain. I trained for a sprint triathlon, although a freak accident the week before kept me from competing. I am stronger, faster, and I feel so much better!

Eating has been another journey. I still have bad days, but have learned what makes me feel good and gives me energy....and it's not fast food or sugar. We have slowly transformed our eating, cutting out more and more crap, and adding more and more clean, whole, real food.

My favorite quote: "You can have excuses or results, but not both". During this time, I have had major shoulder surgery, a torn plantar fascia, pulmonary edema (Landed me in the ICU), and I currently have a torn ligament and tendon in my elbow, which 3 cortisone shots has not fixed. I am waiting for surgery this spring. I have orthostatic hypotension/POTS. Any of these could have derailed me. I chose not to let them.

I have made some changes: Date night with my husband used to be Outback for appetizers, a meal and dessert, followed by popcorn, soda and candy at the movies. Now, it's a 25 mile bike ride along the river, a 9 mile hike, or whatever new challenge we can come up with. I try to plan my workouts in my schedule. My husband works shift work in law enforcement, so I juggle his weird schedule with my full time job as a social worker. I plan our meals, and I pack my lunch. As I eat cleaner and cleaner, I get made fun of for the ice chest I carry, with all my real food!

With 2 kids, ages 1 and 3, sometimes we can't go to the gym. We have bike trailers, hiking packs, and jogging strollers. 40 pounds on your back adds a great extra bit to a hike uphill! I have found I can get a great workout at the park. Burpees, chasing, running under the swing and all around it...you can workout anywhere! We swim with the kids at the pool. They love the gym daycare, but they only go on days they didn't go to daycare while we were at work....Let me tell me, I am the queen of scheduling.

I do a lot of different workouts. I walk. Run. Hike. Bike. Step Areobics. Combat. Pump. Gravity class. Personal Training. Spin class. Water Aerobics. Zumba. Jillian Michaels. Biggest Loser DVDs. Tried TRX (fell flat on my face). My husband and I write our own workouts for home or the gym, we created a killer 12 days of Xmas workout this year, that we did Christmas Eve! I love my Biggest Loser competitions, great last chance workouts and team challenges! Working out never gets boring!

I still have a ways to go. I want to lose more weight. I want to drop my BMI. I want to run a half marathon. I want to compete in a duathlon (biking/running). I have a huge fitness bucket list. But I am also proud of what I have done so far.

Be stronger than your excuses! A year from now, you'll be glad you did. 2 years in, I am still working, and so happy to be living this healthy lifestyle!

Replies

• jscheuf
    jscheuf Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That is great motivation. Thanks for sharing!!
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    wow! great loss@ u look great!!
  • SexyLovinmeCook
    SexyLovinmeCook Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    You look great....you have done so so well in these 2 yrs....Keep going it definitely shows it's a lifestyle for you...
  • soufauxgirl
    soufauxgirl Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Wow you are a true inspiration, you are the role model of NO EXCUSES lol.

That has really make me wake up to myself, that I need to incorporate more activities into my life. Gym work bores me to tears, I love walking and bike riding but I know that I need to keep adding variety. Thanks for the wake up call.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Great job! You look gorgeous. :)
  • alphabetsoup2013
    alphabetsoup2013 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    That is really inspiring. Thank you for sharing your story.
  • katattak73
    Options
    Awesome!! COngrats you look great!
  • gcanter
    gcanter Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Good job, you look great!
  • zannyzanzanzibar
    zannyzanzanzibar Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration!! You look amazing, your hard work has definitely paid off. Congrats on all your achievements and thank you for sharing your story :)
  • teaspoon43
    teaspoon43 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! You really hit home when you said "you can either have excuses or results, not both" - that's amazing and very inspirational. You look beautiful
  • LWolford84
    LWolford84 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I get lovingly made fun of for my cooler size lunch box too :-) Great job. I love the 12 days of Xmas idea.
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    You're an inspiration every single day!
  • JO4IT
    JO4IT Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for sharing. You look great! My "date nights" with dh are similar to what yours were. I like your ideas of adding more activity into our outings. Slow start, but we went bowling the other day, and didn't partake in ANY of the typical bowling alley junkie foods!

Jo
  • Samantha44145
    Samantha44145 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Awesome job. Keep trying. All you have to do is keep showing up to your workouts and keep focused on your accomplishments! You've come a long way.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing about your story is you talk about your accomplishments, obstacles and changes you've made along the way. I love that you understand this is about much more than just a number. Kudos!
  • jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    "Never give up. Never surrender"

(NOTE: My apologies, but given the context of this thread, a quote from Galaxy Quest seemed quite appropriate)
  • McFrench
    McFrench Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I like the Never give up. Never surrender"! That describers me perfectly:)

Thanks for the comments:)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!