10,000 steps a day

Options
I try and incorporate walking into my day. I walk 10,000 steps a day or better. How do I log this? Under walking it has the pace and the amount of time. It takes me more than 9 hours to walk all that. I can't put in 9 hours of walking the dog pace. my ipod says number of calories burned. Should I just put that in?

Replies

• carlytenney
    carlytenney Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hasn't anyone heard of the 10,0000 steps a day to good health????
  • Amandatorie
    Amandatorie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I aim for 10,000 steps per day, but rarely meet it. I'm really trying to get better! Once it warms up a bit I'm sure it will be easier for me. There's just no way I'm going to spend extra time outside when it's below freezing.

As for how to log it, the different activity settings take into account how much general activity you get during the day. If you're regularly walking at least 10,000 steps, I'd just make sure your activity level is set to some level of active, and leave it at that.

I have a FitBit which is just a pedometer that can sync to the site. I have an office job so my activity is set to pretty sedentary, so when I have a day where I walk more than MFP considers sedentary, I get a "FitBit calorie adjustment" under my exercise. I haven't paid too close attention to this, but I'd estimate it usually gives me around 100-150 calories toward my daily steps when I've walked 6000-8000 steps for the day, since my account is set to sedentary and it doesn't expect me to normally walk this much.
  • nroseberry11
    Options
    I have been doing 10,000 steps a day for about a year now. For me, 10,000 steps is not for weight loss necessarily because it doesn't get your heart rate to a calorie burning rate, it is merely beneficial for overall health. I wear a pedometer and make sure that before I go to bed I have 10,000 steps on it every day.

I accomplish my 10,000 steps through running, various cardio activities and basically walking around the house or in parking lots etc. I only track on mfp my running or set timed workouts like walkig for 30 minutes uphill at a pace of 4.0mph.

My recommendation is not to rely on the actual steps to track, but to fill those steps with an intense cardio that raises your heart rate for calorie burn for weight loss.

Good Luck!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Your daily walking for just getting around and doing things is already part of your budget. Unless you went for a dedicated brisk walk I wouldn't count it. If you did then you can log the time, speed, distance. Someone moving less than 6000 steps a day is considered sedentary so there isn't much to be gained by logging it other than over eating.
  • BOLO4Hagatha
    BOLO4Hagatha Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    10,000 steps is not for weight loss necessarily because it doesn't get your heart rate to a calorie burning rate

Wrong. You burn calories just by sitting and watching tv...your heart doesn't need to be gurgling in your throat to burn calories. You might not burn as many calories as you want, but you are burning.
  • nroseberry11
    Options
    I understand your point. Our bodies burn calories just to maintain.

I disagree with you completely on this response to this question.

Our daily caloric burn rate is already figured into each individuals daily caloric intake! The only reason to add cardio and exercise is if it is on top of what we have described our lifestyles to be at (i.e. sedentary, active, ect!). I have a pedometer that tells me how many steps taken, how many calories burned, and how many steps were areobic and anerobic. I have found these numbers to be completely innacurate compared to my calculations based on my HRM. My recommendation of caloric burn is INCREASE EXERCISE to increase calorie burn. When your heart rate increases to percentages up to 85% you are burning more calories than when your body is operating at 15% such as walking just to get in steps!

Like I said before, but will clairfy, Its not necessarily the amount of steps you take to loose weight, its the quality of the steps!
  • nroseberry11
    Options
    10,000 steps is not for weight loss necessarily because it doesn't get your heart rate to a calorie burning rate

Wrong. You burn calories just by sitting and watching tv...your heart doesn't need to be gurgling in your throat to burn calories. You might not burn as many calories as you want, but you are burning.

I hope my previous post explains my position and how it assumed your comment to be true without stating it.
  • Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options
    I try and incorporate walking into my day. I walk 10,000 steps a day or better. How do I log this? Under walking it has the pace and the amount of time. It takes me more than 9 hours to walk all that. I can't put in 9 hours of walking the dog pace. my ipod says number of calories burned. Should I just put that in?

I have a fitbit which links with mfp, it automatically gives me some extra calories when my fitbit burn exceeds what mfp expects. I don't manually log exercise on mfp though, so the extra calories are inclusive of my intentional exercise + extra activity. There are a few devices that can sync with mfp, but in absence of any. I think I would just look at your mfp activity level setting. I read that the average American with a desk job does about 4,000 steps a day, so if you are regularly doing 10,000 you are more active than that. The goal of 10,000 steps is intended to result in a "moderately active" activity level--however that is defined.

I usually acheive 7000-10,000 +/- and I have my mfp setting at lightly active. At that level, I start seeing an adjustment after I exceed 8,000 steps or so (depends as it isn't strictly just step count). I do not log exercise on mfp though, so my overage includes steps from intentional exercise. At 10,000 steeps you are probably "active" (the second highest of mfp's four settings). On days when I reach or slightly exceed 10,000 I usually have an adjustment of about 300 calories. On days when I reach 15,000-25,000 steps it adds a lot more. If you regularly reach 15,000 than I would set it for "very active". But I would be a little conservative and only base it on the step count you can reach 6 days a week or so.

Somewhere I saw an article comparing different step counts to activity levels, there activity levels do not exactly line up with mfp's, but it might be a helpful reference. http://walking.about.com/cs/measure/a/locke122004.htm

ETA: I would not log the walking time it takes to acheive the 10,000 steps unless you are doing it all at once or broken into a couple walks. If you enter 9 hours of walking, it might include 9 hours of your bmr and credit you with too many calories.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options

I hope my previous post explains my position and how it assumed your comment to be true without stating it.

Depends how fast you walk :-P I walk 2.5 miles in 30 minutes to my gym, when I take my jumper off, I already have sweat patches and a red face!