Pear Shaped lady needing help and suggestions

Options
I am a pear shaped gal... carry my weight in hips and thighs. I am what they call a "child bearing" woman with no kids. 5' 6", and just hit 149 after Christmas. OUCH. I was down to 138 last year and let myself go- yes I know..I know.

I am trying to start eating clean again and will probably join a gym. I live in the country, with closest gym 30 minutes away. Should I work out in morning or evening? And what is the best type of workouts for whole body should I be doing? Gym I am looking into has a pool too.
My ideal weight would be 120, but I never seem to get past 138.

All suggestions, and ideas are welcomed. Critics as well.

Thanks for the help and support ladies and gentlemen!

Replies

• mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Congrats on starting your healthier lifestyle, we all applaud you. As foe when you should work out, that is totally up to you. Some people prefer morning, some evening and the only thing that matters is picking the time that you will stick to. I love morning workouts, but with kids, can't do it on the weekdays, so I do my morning workouts on e weekends and weekdays get evening workouts. I think you would want to do cardio and some weight training, if you can get a consultation with a personal trainer, all the better! Pools are great and can be a really good workout! Especially when you might not be feeling 100%. Good luck!
  • awal2069
    awal2069 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I apprecaite it. I think some cardio and weight training is where I want to start, I just dont know what to do. I can go in there blind and just figure it out as I go, but I thought I would ask on here first. ;)
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    As for your current weight, with your height, it isn't a bad weight at all, so with not too much to lose, be sure you are aiming for .5-1 pound a week, anything more will have you eating below your BMR and that is never good. Workout whenever it works for your schedule, doesn't matter what time of day. Do a combination of cardio and strength to help lose weight and tone up your body. On the days you don't go to the gym, there are plenty of things you can do at home.... lots of exercise dvds, Jillian Michaels has several that are good for total body. Eat as clean as you can to really help lose those pounds and drink lots of water. Protein is important when you are strength training especially.
  • awal2069
    Options
    Again, thanks for the input.... Anyone else have ideas on where to begin?
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Pick up a strength training program for beginners, either Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women or Stronglifts. Not having a plan is like not knowing where you are going.

I am pear shaped, working on your upper body is going to be very important because it will help you look more balanced. I found that perhaps it wasn't so much that I was pear shaped as just my upper body was not very strong. Once I started working on my shoulders, I looked more balanced.

I would suggest making goals that are not based on weight, make a goal to go to the gym 2x a week, eat clean for a week or whatever but don't use the scale as progress. We get hung on up numbers and they really do not define anything about our body except our relationship with gravity.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    The advice for you is the same as for anyone else. Calorie deficit and general fat reduction. I also recommend weight lifting... squats, deads, etc.

(This is coming from someone with about a 27" waist and 40" hips.)
  • reklawn
    reklawn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Try everything and see what you like most. I would switch each workout and find your own routine. I am a pear and I do best with 40 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of weights/circuit training 6 days a week. I would mix up the cardio... but I typically like the arc trainer and elliptical.

Also be aware of the muscle you are putting on. Muscle does weigh more than fat, so the scale isn't always the best indicator. Might want to use body fat or measure inches as the best indicator if you plan on really focusing on working out.
  • ajzoe
    ajzoe Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I go back and forth weight wise, during the summer when I have a lot of free time to exercise and go to classes, I'm typically about 10 lbs lighter than when school and work start up in the fall. Whenever I need to address a recent weight gain, I give myself a goal of 15mins of exercise per day. It's really doable, you can always find 15 minutes, and it's a good starting point.
  • awal2069
    Options
    Thanks again, really great way to begin. Yes, I will check out the info you have given me for sure~
    I am not TOO concerned about the # on the scale and know it will get better with time and working out, eating better... I just want to tone all over more than anything, and it seems to do that is more strength training (weights) and some cardio mixed.

Woodysgirl - your pic is amazing... Very nice back!
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Starting out is a matter of finding what will work for you. I would recommend starting with things that you like or are interested in. If you decide to join the gym, check out the classes. Also, most gyms will help your start a problem.

If you want to do strength training I have a few friends that rave about the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women". For my strength workouts I use an app from BodyBuilding.com to track my workout and progress.

If you want to run, I've had suggest with the Coach to 5k program. (There is an app for it.)

There are at home DVDs (P90x, Insanity, etc) You can search the forums and get opinions from others. Also, you would be surprise what you can find on YouTube. There are all kinds of workouts, yoga, etc.

Good luck!
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Thanks again, really great way to begin. Yes, I will check out the info you have given me for sure~
    I am not TOO concerned about the # on the scale and know it will get better with time and working out, eating better... I just want to tone all over more than anything, and it seems to do that is more strength training (weights) and some cardio mixed.

Woodysgirl - your pic is amazing... Very nice back!

Thanks so much for the compliment ;)
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Try p90x! It has a nutrition plan and you never have to leave the house to do it, plus you can really see results!
  • awal2069
    Options
    Last year I did p90x for all of two weeks... I think if I truly get back on the band wagon with it and STICK too it will help.
    Guess I am gonna have to whip out the box again. LOL.
    Thanks again ladies - Yall are the best!!!!!
  • JENPOW72
    Options
    As a fellow pear-shaped woman, I'd like to say nice job on starting back.

Try www.dailyhiit.com. It's a totally free workout system to do at home, using high-intensity interval training. If you stick to it, it REALLY works! I will be going back to it, once I get a little of my weight off (knees are unhappy right now). Don't be discouraged if you can't do the move the way the trainers can; as long as you give 100% effort on every workout, you will see results. Who doesn't have 12 minutes a day? :) Best of luck!
  • Makeda1211
    Makeda1211 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I apprecaite it. I think some cardio and weight training is where I want to start, I just dont know what to do. I can go in there blind and just figure it out as I go, but I thought I would ask on here first. ;)

Hey there,

I think its great that you are ready to get started. Gyms can be a little daunting. One thing I would do is to get a consultation with one of the trainers just so that you will know what your starting fitness level is and you will have a marker to judge against.

From there, if they give you a routine, I would follow it and continue to make smart food choices.

Another thing you might want to try are classes. This will shake up your body and keep you from going into a plateau. I am personally a Zumbaholic. Can't get enough of the class and it's a serious calorie burning exercise class. If that's not your bag, there are so many other classes from body pump, to kickboxing, to Nike Training Class, to yoga. You name it, its there.

Good luck and have fun.