Should I include Massage as a exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I think using it in your daily activity level should be enough, but you could also try calculating your Total Daily Energy Expenditure at varying levels of activity, and then use an HRM during a few massages to see what you burn. Then you could compare whether the "active" daily setting is accurate to capture your work, or if you should use a lower setting and count them as exercise.

That's the most accurate way to figure it out if you're truly wondering.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Try playing with the numbers. Give yourself an extra 200 - 300 on work days. Do it for a few weeks. If your weight loss stalls, go back to what you were eating.
  • paperangel87
    Options
    Right now, with it set at lightly active, and looking to loose up to 2 Lbs a week, it says I should consume only 1,200 calories. Which is okay, I just run into the problem of calorie intake on days I work.

..I think I will just try setting it as active, to give me a few extra calories on days I work and see how that goes for now.

Thank you for all the comments, ideas and opinions!
    They are all greatly appreciated!

T :)
  • ashlbubba
    ashlbubba Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I don't focus too much on being under calories.. I find that I need to eat about 1500 calories on many days to feel complete.. this of course lowers my weight loss a bit but I feel good and in control of my eating- I don't feel like I missing out on things, so for me 1500 seems to be a good number to help me stick with the program.. see what works for you! MFP a tool- make it work for you! Long term results are what we are after!!!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it depends on what type of massage you're giving. Do you break a sweat while massaging? How long do you sustain vigorous activity? Someone suggested it might be the same as grooming a horse. I give my husband regular massages, and also groom a horse. I'm here to tell you that grooming a horse is much more physically taxing due to reaching over head, and the pressure, speed, and duration of time that needs to be applied. I wonder how giving a person a massage compares to yoga.
  • paperangel87
    Options
    When I do massages, I generally do a few, if not all deep tissue massages. Which require more pressure, movement and stamina on my part. I can do up to 5 in a work day, but choose to do an average of about 4. I don't really want to consider it my work out for the day, I just don't want to feel like I'm lacking in calorie intake when I do work.
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    If you're legitimately an active person, the ~1300 calories you're set to is not nearly enough. I think the problem stems more than anything from having MFP set to lose 2 pounds/week. If you set it to 1/week instead while keeping it at active, I bet you'll get all the calories you need. How much weight do you want to lose? 2 pounds a week is a very aggressive goal, and you're not eating much at all for being so active
  • slepygrl
    slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I would. I'm a massage therapist. Some clients are hard work.
  • mallorycutting
    Options
    How much do you have to lose?

1,200 calories seems very low. Depending on how much you have to lose 2lb per week may be too aggressive of a goal.
  • sironae
    sironae Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm also wondering about this!

I only did 3 sessions today and I am exhausted (it can be energetically taxing as well as physically). I am very curious as to how many calories I burn in an average session.