Paleo diet

Options
Hello I've just found out today, I need to follow the Paleo diet & I'm very lost as I've no idea what to eat ????.
Does anyone on here follow this diet ? If so could we be friends please so I can get tips.
Thanks so much for reading

Replies

• jaclynZ
    jaclynZ Posts: 49
    Options
    hello i have been doing a paleo challenge.... im on day #14 but think i'm going back to normal clean eating tomorrow.
    can i ask why you 'have to' do paleo?
    i have some yummy recipes i can pass along.
    NO dairy, sugars, starches or beans (peanuts, potatos, including sweet potatos). pretty much stuff you have to cook to eat.
    lots of protein, fats, and fruits & vegs.
    avocados, olive oil, lean meats.
    you can message me with questions :)
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Why do you HAVE to?
  • rsjohnb
    rsjohnb Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    What's a paleo diet?? And why would you have to do one??
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Why do you NEED to? Just curious.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be completely forthright here, I have nothing against the Paleo diet, and am fine if someone wants to follow it after making an informed decision.

but please listen to me when I say this is a serious lifestyle change that requires research and much decision making before you attempt it. Paleo, for most people, is a complete change in dietary habits that means using a large amount of willpower. Also it comes with serious drawbacks and consequences (especially if you have metabolic issues).

I say all this simply to say, before you make a decision like this, please do your research into it and make sure it's something you are willing to do. There are options.
  • bump
  • gillesse
    gillesse Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I tried the paleo diet, and it was extremely difficult for me. I followed Practical Paleo Diet by Diane Sanfilippo... Here is a link to the book on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Paleo-Customized-Whole-Foods-Lifestyle/dp/1936608758/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358807723&sr=8-1&keywords=practical+paleo

It's an excellent book if you absolutely have to follow the diet.
  • Septlondon
    Septlondon Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bump
  • thelimonster
    Options
    I follow the paleo diet. I think it's a really good diet, and it gets easier.

In terms of what to eat, basically it's broken down like this: (i) meat, (ii) veggies, and (iii) fruits. Snack on tree nuts like almonds or walnuts. Of course, you can get more specific like lean meat, fiber-y veggies, and more nutritious fruits.

In terms of what NOT to eat, basically no refined carbs/grains or anything that was born out of the agricultural revolution. That means no refined grains, sugars, milk, dairy, cheese, legumes, preservatives, etc. The food industry puts profit before health, so kind of keep that in the back of your mind when you go grocery shopping.

And you're also allowed to cook your food.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    http://whole9life.com/2012/08/the-whole30-program/ I highly recommend the Book "It Starts With Food". The Whole 30 plan outlines the program, it's strict paleo. No grains, no sugars or even artificial sweetener (including stevia), no legumes, no dairy. But you can eat plenty of protein, loads of veggies and healthy fats, and limited fruits. HTH!
  • disappearingme
    Options
    Hi all sorry didn't see all these posts till now, I've decided to do the Paleo diet plan for medical reasons & my doctor recommend I do Paleo. Thanks for all your help I appreciate it :smile:
  • jodyhepp
    Options
    My husband is doing paleo and loves it! He's lost 17 pounds since 1/1!! You should add him, he's HilliardJoe. He has more energy than he's had in YEARS!
    Good Luck!
  • disappearingme
    Options
    Thank you I,ll add him now, that's an amazing weight loss!