running on a treadmill.

Options
I try to increase my running on the treadmill atleast bi-weekly. Does anyone know which is more beneficial, increased speed or increased incline?

Replies

• MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    beneficial for what?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I think both are good and work your body differently so you could alternate. one week raise your speed, the next week lower your speed back down and do a higher incline. I only increase speed not incline as the treadmill I use BANGS when running faster than 5.0 if it is on an incline.
  • skyski_tige
    skyski_tige Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Do which ever one gets your heart rate up over 80% of max... Need to sweat alot, if your not sweating then your not pushing yourself to the next level.
  • sumshine2010
    Options
    You should alternate between speed workouts and incline. Try to strike a balance. You can do it on alternating days or just within the same session. Even adding a 3 % incline can really rev up your workout. Start small and gradually increase the incline when you are able. Running hills is a VERY effective calorie burn and varying your workouts will also increase calories burned. If you do the same workout all the time, your body becomes very efficient at that activity. In other words, your body starts using LESS calories to do the same workout. And remember don't expect to be able to run the same speed w/ an incline.
  • mrsyatesy
    mrsyatesy Posts: 173
    Options
    If you want to simulate road running then you should run on a small incline anyway, always, otherwise it is the equivalent of almost running downhill and not great for your joints!
    I would increase variation in to the running machine rather than always running faster, or always on a greater incline. Does yours have a "intervals" setting? You could have a variable speed that gets your heart rate really going for 2 or 3 mins, then let it slow a little, then back up, this is great for fat burning and for fitness. If you want to target certain areas then do the research to see which would benefit that area more.
    Enjoy!
  • MeganJo
    MeganJo Posts: 69
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by "beneficial" but like others have said it is good to alternate so your body doesn't get used to one thing and always using the same muscles. However, if it is fat loss you're looking for the best thing to do is interval training. Walk (No more than 4 mph) for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes and then sprint (8-12 mph increase as you get better) from 30 seconds to 1 minute. I usually only do 30 minutes of interval training because I am training for a marathon and already run a few miles before doing this but if you aren't doing another form of cardio I would increase to 45-60 min of interval training, you should be good and tired at the end.