How often do you treat yourself?

Options
13»

Replies

• theblondetrick
    theblondetrick Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    The "everything in moderation" thing is BS if you ask me.I mean,if I buy a 100 gram chocolate bar,I'm not going to eat a third of it,I'm going to eat all of it because I just can't resist it,therefore it's better for me to not buy any.Besides,I feel like I can't let myself eat everything,like food that is full of sugar because I know it will fu*k up everything I've achieved so far.
    So,I decided to treat myself with a dr.oetker chocolate milkshake like two times a week or so,just to satisfy my craving for sweet stuff.The milkshake is not very high in calories,so I feel like I can afford it from time to time.

I course it won't work if you have an unhealthy relationship with food. You have to get those issues sorted out before you can ever learn moderation.
    If I eat just a little bit of chocolate for example,it's not going to satisfy me,but if I eat a lot of it,I'll gain weight.The conclusion is:I shouldn't eat any at all.Besides.I don't crave sweets often,I do however crave them whenever I see them,therefore I should just avoid them.It doesn't mean that this works for everybody,but it does work for me.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I treat myself with smaller sized clothes! Lol.But really,I'm a lot more lenient around the holidays and don't really treat myself with food at any other time of the year.
  • MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You guys need to stop being so anal over the phrase "treat yourself," lol. The more healthy I'm getting, the less I actually feel like having sh*tty food I've found. Now, it actually makes me feel blah when I have things that are high in sugar/salt. So I tend to avoid. I do occasionally crave sugar/salt/fast food though for some reason even though it makes me feel like that, but I find distracting myself with something usually counters it and I forget about it 10 minutes later anyway. I don't see that as deprivation in the least, I see it as kicking my craving in the @ss.

I have PCOS so I really don't need that kind of crap in my body anyway. I'd rather allow myself to buy makeup or get my hair did, ya dig? Some people say moderation, which I do agree with, and others say go without the *kitten* food, which I also agree with. Going without isn't unrealistic if it's something someone wants to do for themselves and their health. Some people actually do have the will power to do it. You shouldn't knock someone just because /you/ can't see yourself doing it.

That's my two cents anyway.
  • dgwear
    dgwear Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    pretty much daily.

if it fits my macros. 80% of my calories are from whole food nutrient rich sources.
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm on the moderation train, but I also have found different, more lower calorie ways to eat the type of food I want. So I might not eat that chocolate bar anymore, but I find a way to have my chocolate and love it just as much.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Eh, IIFYM blah blah blah... Sometimes I want to eat half a damn pizza. No way is that fitting my macros. So, I get a meal once a month that I don't care about. No counting calories, no worrying about fat, etc.

Same here. Most days I work something small in that does fit under goal. But once a week, I want an entire plate of biscuits and gravy, mashed potatoes and butter, and then some candy afterwards. Thus I let myself do so.

Exactly! When I eat I want to EAT! There's no point to eating one slice of pizza. I'll get hungry later and feel like I wasted my calories on nothing. Plus, some of the foods I like are just too calorie dense to fit into a normal day of eating.

^^ :drinker:

Evidently that's just us though... everyone else is a saint and never 'overeats' because they magically fit everything they want into their calories for the day. :huh:
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    whenever the **** I want (assuming it fits into my calorie and micro goals.)

If i want chocolate, I am going to have it. Fit people dont say "ok so I will eat good for the next week then I can have a chocolate bar", and I eat like a fit person ;)
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    The "everything in moderation" thing is BS if you ask me.I mean,if I buy a 100 gram chocolate bar,I'm not going to eat a third of it,I'm going to eat all of it because I just can't resist it,therefore it's better for me to not buy any.Besides,I feel like I can't let myself eat everything,like food that is full of sugar because I know it will fu*k up everything I've achieved so far.
    So,I decided to treat myself with a dr.oetker chocolate milkshake like two times a week or so,just to satisfy my craving for sweet stuff.The milkshake is not very high in calories,so I feel like I can afford it from time to time.

then you clearly just havent mastered the "everything in moderation" thing.
  • jbbrannon
    jbbrannon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I really don't treat myself, but if I did have a treat; it would be chocolate!!
  • cody103
    Options
    I usually treat myself by seeing how much weight I lost. I have been losing at least a pound a day. SO i will not put junk food into my body until i am happy with my weight.
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Nothing is off limits for me as long as it fits into my daily calorie goal. Allowing "treats" would imply that I am depriving myself of something that I love. All things in moderation.

Tottaly agree, this is how I have lost my weight through MFP.
  • CrazyAnne
    CrazyAnne Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Nothing is off limits for me as long as it fits into my daily calorie goal. Allowing "treats" would imply that I am depriving myself of something that I love. All things in moderation.

Same here :)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I have something most days, I tried to simply stop eating 'junk' altogether and it didn't work for me, I am having to work on learning moderation, however, as I am an emotional eater who tends to binge if she gets too much of a taste of sweet things.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    There is no need for treats when I don't deprive myself of the foods I really want. My definition of "really want" has just changed over the last year or so. If I really want it AND am willing to burn the calories or eat it in lieu of something else with equivalent calories, then it's a "go," if not, it's a "no." Always my choice, always the opportunity to say yes, so "never deprived."

For example, I knew we were having cupcakes for a working dinner tonight, so I just had skinny frappachino for breakfast, and low cal steamed dumplings for lunch, so I'd have enough left in my macros to have dinner and the Almond Cupcake I really wanted.

It's not really considered a "treat" when it fits within the budget. In fact, I lost all of my weight eating 1/2 - 1 serving of angel food cake and ice cream for dessert almost every night. I just ate 60 cal yogurt for breakfast, 350-450 cal frozen dinner for lunch, and small portions of whatever my husband wanted for dinner which left enough for 150-300 cal dessert.

Do what works for you...the "benefits" of reaching my goal were important enought to me that it was easy to choose 1/2 serving when that's all the budget allowed. I'd rather have some than none. If you can't eat small portions of something, then it's probably a trigger food that should be avoided unless/until you can work through whatever is making it have more power over you than the benefits of reaching your goal.
  • Pinkgingham_19
    Pinkgingham_19 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Eh, IIFYM blah blah blah... Sometimes I want to eat half a damn pizza. No way is that fitting my macros. So, I get a meal once a month that I don't care about. No counting calories, no worrying about fat, etc.

Same here. Most days I work something small in that does fit under goal. But once a week, I want an entire plate of biscuits and gravy, mashed potatoes and butter, and then some candy afterwards. Thus I let myself do so.

Exactly! When I eat I want to EAT! There's no point to eating one slice of pizza. I'll get hungry later and feel like I wasted my calories on nothing. Plus, some of the foods I like are just too calorie dense to fit into a normal day of eating.

^^ :drinker:

Evidently that's just us though... everyone else is a saint and never 'overeats' because they magically fit everything they want into their calories for the day. :huh:

Finally! So many people talk about going to restaurants and ordering chicken breast and broccoli, putting half in a doggy bag, and "tracking the calories" As if thin and healthy people never overindulge!

Personally, I try to make all my food myself. It's delicious, and I know exactly whats in it. If I make something at home, IIFYM. Once a week, we go out for coffee and I have a HUUUUGE muffin and an americano misto.
    Currently limiting restaurants to twice a month, but I make sure those meals are really something special. I eat mindfully, but if I want to overeat a little bit, I do.