Turnip French fries ?

Options
I have never eaten turnip. I have been hearing about turnip fries . Have you tried them ? How does a turnip taste compared to a potato ?

Replies

• Lisaget2awesome
    Lisaget2awesome Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Nope, this is the first time for me too.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried them but I was planning my garden the other day and was thinking about planting some. I usually hide them in soups but thought the fries might be worth a shot.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Not a fan. Sorry.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    oh got me all excited...theres gotta be something out there for turnips
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Turnips are ok, in my opinion. I'd say rutabaga fries are better.

If you've never tried turnip, parsnip or rutabagas roasted in the oven (or in a pot roast or stew), I highly suggest trying them. They're very cheap, last a long time in the fridge and can add variety to any diet.
  • alisonsurf
    alisonsurf Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I got a lot of turnips from my CSA this fall and I cannot stand them. I keep trying but no.....anyway they gave us a lot of recipes including one for fritters and another at the bottom I am going to try next.

http://wp.freshforkmarket.com/tag/turnips/
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    They're ok. Kinda sweet, with a potato like texture. This may work. it wouldn't hurt at least. :)
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I got a lot of turnips from my CSA this fall and I cannot stand them.

If you don't like them, I suggest hiding them. Slice them paper thin and layer them in your lasagne. Shred them and add a little to a salad. Spiral them, boil them for a couple minutes, and add them to your lettuce wraps/stir fry/spaghetti.

My favorite use for them is to add them to my homemade kimchi
  • Flood73
    Flood73 Posts: 15
    Options
    I love turnips and rutabaga with lots of pepper or chili powder. I usually smash them, but they are so inexpensive and filling, I think trying them as fries is worth a shot. I'm gonna try it out.
  • yodacho
    yodacho Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    To me a turnip is rather like a radish. They're pretty good for you, so I manage to eat them by throwing them in soup. Love other roasted root vegetables, so maybe the fries could work. Good luck.
  • JBoloz
    JBoloz Posts: 2
    Options
    For a delicious french fry option I would recommend parsnips. The secret is to cut them into as thin of strips as you can. Put them in a bowl sprinkle with garlic powder black pepper and a little sea salt. Add a drizzle of olive oil and stick them into a hot oven till all the moisture gets baked out of them. If the are cooked right they taste fantastic, But if they are under-cooked or too thick the deliciousness goes lacking.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I can only tell you that my husband loves mashed turnip. It tastes nothing like potato, IMO. I would not try a turnip fry :). Small minded? Maybe, but it isn't going to happen.
  • kristapennie
    kristapennie Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I prefer my turnip raw, cut up like sticks.
    its a taste that grows on you
    I'm pretty sure they're high on the GI though
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Google is your friend... I just googled baked turnip fries.. and here is one.. thanks for the idea.. I have one just staring at me in the kitchen.

3 pounds turnips
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 teaspoon garlic salt
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1 teaspoon onion powder

Directions

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with a piece of aluminum foil and lightly grease.
    Peel the turnips, and cut into French fry-sized sticks, about 1/3 by 4 inches. Place into a large bowl, and toss with the vegetable oil to coat. Place the Parmesan cheese, garlic salt, paprika, onion powder in a resealable plastic bag, and shake to mix. Place the oiled turnips into the bag, and shake until evenly coated with the spices. Spread out onto the prepared baking sheet.
    Bake in preheated oven until the outside is crispy, and the inside is tender, about 20 minutes. Serve immediately.
  • jeanettebenziger
    Options
    I grew up eating garden veggies so I love them all. I like turnups. If you do not like the fries try them raw. You can bake any veggie YUM
  • jeanettebenziger
    Options
    Awesome :smile: