Ok MFP peeps I've hit my first plateau... any ideas??

Options
Hi all,
Ok so, some background. I've been on here since July, started at 278lbs and have worked my way down to 217 with changes to my diet and increased exercise over the past 7 or so months. I started at 1750 cals/day and 3, 30 minute curves circuits a week, and have worked my way down the scale from the there, with a steady loss of around 2-3 pounds per week. I currently start my day with 1410 cals, and exercise 6 days a week, 3 days at curves, 1 day of zumba (30 minute class on a curves day), 1 day of weightlifting (just started this in January ), 2 days of Tae Bo (1 hour class). I eat back around 2/3rds of my exercise calories and I do my absolute best to eat as healthy as possible with as little processed foods as I can, but I'm not on any specific diet, nor do I want to be as I just don't think I could maintain it full time. Now I know that this isn't supposed to be easy, and it hasn't been, but I've found it really fun in some ways because as I get fitter I am more able to things I had forgotten I loved.
So the plateau started the first week of january, and since then I have fluctuated between 216.8lbs and 217.4lbs, I haven't lost any inches and even though I've started weightlifting I don't feel myself getting any stroger or more toned yet. I'm determined and I won't give up, but to go from losing 2-3lbs per week to absolutley nothing was a bit of a shock, which has turned into frustration, and a bit of desperation... My diary is open, please feel free to check it out and let me know if you see any red flags or if I should just keep keeping on and hope my body will eventually snap out of it?

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Yup, that sounds about right.

Try eating what you think your maintenance would be for maybe a month.

EDIT: and take a break from the gym. Then get back into it.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    sounds like you're in great shape. congrats on your progress so far!
    Have you tried plyometrics?
    I'm guessing the 1 day of weights is full body?
    you could maybe go heavier?
  • tessa175
    tessa175 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    sounds like you're in great shape. congrats on your progress so far!
    Have you tried plyometrics?
    I'm guessing the 1 day of weights is full body?
    you could maybe go heavier?
    Thank you!
    Yes it is full body and I would love to go heavier but I'm like a fish out of water at the gym and I can't seem to find a personal trainer interested in this way of thinking (small town lol) But thanks, I'll push that topic again!
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound like a weight loss plateau yet. Your body may just be holding on to the weight for a variety of reasons, i.e. water weight, over on sodium, new exercise regime, TOM, etc. I would give it a few more weeks and then reevalute if you haven't lost any more weight. You can't expect to keep up the 2-3 lb. loss per week forever though. That will eventually slow down.

Have you ran your numbers to find out what your BMR and TDEE are? You can also try going that route to see if you can avoid the plateau.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    As you get closer to goal your weight loss will slow. My last 5 lbs took almost 6 months to come off!
  • amdahwd
    amdahwd Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I am going to get slammed for this I am sure but I would stop eating back the exercise calories and see if that helps. I do not wat mine ever. My cousin lost 130 pounds last year and she didn't either.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Set your account to maintain for a week or two. Also, I suggest taking a week off from exercise. When you come back, set your account to a lower deficit. With less weight to lose, you will need to eat more to fuel yourselves as your body doesn't have as much fat stores. Aim for 1 lb per week and eat back at least 50% of your exercise calories. This will probably put you around the 1700-2000 calories.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am going to get slammed for this I am sure but I would stop eating back the exercise calories and see if that helps. I do not wat mine ever. My cousin lost 130 pounds last year and she didn't either.

The problem with this method is you end up losing a lot of muscle. And since muscle is tight and lean, it then takes longer to see the progress most people are wanting. Staci is a perfect example. Ideally, people want fat loss and not so much fat + muscle.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • tessa175
    tessa175 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Set your account to maintain for a week or two. Also, I suggest taking a week off from exercise. When you come back, set your account to a lower deficit. With less weight to lose, you will need to eat more to fuel yourselves as your body doesn't have as much fat stores. Aim for 1 lb per week and eat back at least 50% of your exercise calories. This will probably put you around the 1700-2000 calories.
    Thanks for this^^ I think I'll give it a try and see how it goes. Wish me luck!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    have you done a 1 rep max test?
  • fight_for_fit
    Options
    I think switching up your workout routine would get you away from your plateau. It seems as though your body is getting used to the workouts you have been doing. So it now needs that new 'shock' to get it going again.
    I would suggest increasing weights every 1-2 weeks or so and switching out your routine. For example instead of doing barbell bench presses try push ups.
    I had that issue for a little while then I switched up my routine and the weight started coming off again.