How do YOU reply?

Options
Fellow MFPer's,

For those that have lost a noticeable amount of weight, just curious how you respond to others when positive comments are made about your weight loss? I don't know why, but I feel compelled to go into this long winded explanation of how I lost the weight, etc.. when all I probably need to say is Thanks!

So how do you respond?

Hawkeye

Replies

• AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    Options
    "Thank you! I have been working very hard" is all I say!
  • dj_stevie_c
    dj_stevie_c Posts: 270
    Options
    "Nah I still have loads to go"

That's right now.

When I've lost more it'll probably be 'thanks' with more info if they ask :)
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Depends...

I'm kind of a smart *kitten*, so if someone says something like "Hey, you lost a lot of weight" I say something like "No kidding, really?"

if someone just says "You look good from losing all that weight" I say "thank you"
  • squoozyq
    squoozyq Posts: 305
    Options
    No one has even noticed that I've lost 19lbs. I feel invisible, I'd give my left arm for SOMEBODY, ANYBODY to notice that I've lost the weight. Especially my hubby.
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I usually just say thanks. But a lot of the time people will ask me what I've been doing because they are interested in losing weight themselves. That's when I tell them the story of how I did it. :smile:
  • sophialittle
    sophialittle Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    just say thanks, i feel like if they want the ins and outs of why and how you're doing it, they'll ask. otherwise, i just take the compliment and drive on :smile:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    "Thanks, I feel Great!"
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Listen you are proud of your weight loss....you can either say thank you and try to move along....but really whats the next question they are going to ask you...."How did you do it?' right......

So go ahead and get long winded and explain yourself away.....you are happy with your accomplishments and you want to share your journey

I dont see anything wrong with explaining your journey
  • AlynnP1005
    AlynnP1005 Posts: 195
    Options
    I havent been faced with that situation yet, so I dont know.....but if someone were to notice, I would probably talk their ear off with what I have been doing and all that jazz lol
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    "Thank you! I have been working very hard" is all I say!

Lately, I've been saying this.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    "Thank you", or maybe "Thanks for noticing".

If they go on with the "How did you do it" question, my usual answer is "Diet & Exercise - eat less move more, the only thing that really works. I use a website to keep track of everything. It's not hard once you get used to it".
  • akgrant
    akgrant Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    "Thank you" with a BIG GRIN on my face which usually prompt them to ask questions then I Iet them have it!! You would think i was a paid spokesperson for MFP!! Congrats!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    No one has even noticed that I've lost 19lbs. I feel invisible, I'd give my left arm for SOMEBODY, ANYBODY to notice that I've lost the weight. Especially my hubby.

:noway: you look great:love:

Now go buy a new pair of jeans. Make em tight........and look for a smaller size...........There is nothing like a bit of self confidence and a new pair of jeans to get ppls attention.

:flowerforyou:
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    I'm sure he noticed. :laugh: Guys don't usually comment on their wife's weight, either good or bad. His thought process is probably going something like this...

"If I say she looks great having lost weight, she's going to think that I think she was fat before, and that's going to get me in trouble."

It's so much easier for guys to just not say anything at all...

But I'm sure he notices...
  • akgrant
    akgrant Posts: 293 Member
    Options

HI! I just wanted to say I know how you feel! I just lost 19 lbs and it took a person who wasn't around the office for months to notice first! 20 lbs is kinda hard to notice when you see the person every single day. It's the person who haven't see you in a while that notices! My hubby didn't notice at first either (since he thinks I'm perfect at any weight, which is probably what your hubby thinks too!:love: ) so to "encourage" him, I started putting on the big pants in front of him as we are getting dressed and going "oh, honey, look at my pants, I can't believe it"! :bigsmile: That woke him up! :laugh: :laugh:

Congrats on the weight loss! I bet you look great!!:flowerforyou:
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Most of the time I just say "Thank you, I've been working at it" or "Thank you for noticing". They almost always ask how I did it. The shock on their face when I say "the old fashioned way with diet and exercise" is priceless. I am thinking of printing up MFP business cards with the website information.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Read Chgud's post, twice. Commenting on a woman's weight is usually a losing prop, so we just leave it alone.

For some reason this reminds me of a great joke on the TV show "Scrubs". ""the only difference between black girls and white girls is that when a black girl asks you "does my *kitten* look big" you say "Oh hell yes!" :laugh:
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I usually say 'thank you' and if they ask how I lost the weight then I give more info. No one noticed until I hit about 20 lbs gone. Usually people thought I had done something with my hair. I think as more weight comes off it will become more obvious. I work with someone who lost 35 pounds and no one seemed to notice. She is very tall and fit so it might not have been as obvious
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    For some reason this reminds me of a great joke on the TV show "Scrubs". ""the only difference between black girls and white girls is that when a black girl asks you "does my *kitten* look big" you say "Oh hell yes!" :laugh:

I remember that episode, that's hilarious.

Losing weight can be a personal thing, tell as much as your comfortable with but don't feel like you have an obligation to go into a long story if you're not ok with that.
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options

:noway: you look great:love:

Now go buy a new pair of jeans. Make em tight........and look for a smaller size...........There is nothing like a bit of self confidence and a new pair of jeans to get ppls attention.

:flowerforyou:

I second this advice. I didn't realize how much change I'd had since my "big" clothes were hiding my progress. When I went shopping and went from baggy 20s to form fitting 14s the compliments started pouring in. It wasn't until 40 pounds lost that DH started paying attention... And, I finally got a "WOW, you have a skinny @ss" compliment this morning. Guys are just slow on the uptake.