Confused?

Options
So I've been gaining and losing the same 3 pounds for 3 months and I have no idea what to do. I've been reading a lot on the TDEE and BMR stuff and how you should eat more to lose weight, etc...but have had no results. I am just so lost with this numbers game.

My goals are to lose 2 lbs a week and I am lightly active. MFP says consume 1720 cals per day.
TDEE: 2800
BMR: 2043.35

I exercise on average 3 days a week, and almost always eat under my calories after burning. What should I be doing?

Replies

• Honeybea86
    Options
    It's all a number games. I have found if I eat more protein I lose weight faster and keep it off I think it's because I workout so hard and lift weights with my cardio
  • ebailey710
    ebailey710 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I've been eating lots of protein with weights in with cardio, and I'm gradually losing inches but no weight.
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You may be adding muscle mass which is offsetting the weight of fat you are losing.
  • Honeybea86
    Options
    Then be glad your losing inches! Just stick to a healthy diet with regular exercise and see how it goes. Also switch up your workouts to keep your body guessing :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,113 Member
    Options

Eat between these two numbers. Don't eat more on Exercise days. Sleep 7-8 hours. Drink water.

Repeat for one month.

Adjust if necessary.

Ta Da.
  • aebkahle
    aebkahle Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I find the recommended caloric intake when entering exercise to be misleading. My suggested intake is about 1200 calories per day but when I enter my exercise which can be 300-550 calories (Based on my Polar heart rate monitor) it jacks it up, saying I've earned an increase in calories. I just stick to my 1200 and ignore this because I don't feel that eating what I've just worked off is helping a thing.
    Maybe that's it...but I do agree that those inches are mighty important as well. Sometimes being able to button pants you couldn't button before is more telling than the scale.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Don't be concerned about losing weight, lose body fat. Scales are bad at measuring this, tape measures are better. Keep it up, it sounds like you are on the right track.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Eat between these two numbers. Don't eat more on Exercise days. Sleep 7-8 hours. Drink water.

Repeat for one month.

Adjust if necessary.

Ta Da.

This ^^^^
  • racechick2
    Options
    Mfp says I should be eating 1900...there's no way....eat where you feel comfortable, eat healthy...but try to add to your workout...ex. 5 extra minutes each workout the first week for two weeks then 10 extra for the next two...add a variety to your workout and just eat healthy and don't worry about your intake unless you are eating beyond what you should...the more you workout the more you will feel hungry...gl....
  • ebailey710
    ebailey710 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. This helps put it into perspective for me. :)
  • deeander
    deeander Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just set my wt loss at the maximum, and that was 2 lbs a week. It told me i should eat 1200 a day. I do the same as you do exercise wise, so i eat around 1500 on some days but exercise off 300 so i am around 1200 a day, and i am full... since august i have lost 32 lbs. my average has been 1325 cal per week. i have 2 days that are my high days and that is ok it keep your body from going into starvation mode, which holds the weight. recently i have been eating more and exercising less. my result, i am not loosing weight, i am maintaining... so i have to get back at it, and really watch my numbers and exercise. it worked for me... also i try to say away from processed foods. i try to eat one ingredient items, like an apple, or chicken breast. if i am going to have treats i try to bake them myself with really good ingre. no white anything. i dont weight train, although it is a goal... keep up the good work, you an add me as a friend if you like. cheers d