Fruit and going over on sugar

Options
I am sure if I go back and look there are a ton of post on this.....BUT! Here is my problem.....

I am almost to the end of my 1st 90 day round of p90x and I have been doing good, (6 lbs from my goal) I have kept on the higher protein/lower carb cycle the entire 90 days and it has worked for me. However, I am trying to add back fruit to my diet, but I go over on sugar with one serving of fruit!! I tend to gain weight with sugar/carbs, that is why I choose to lower them. I dont want to slow down my wt lose cause I am not there yet, I have about 6 more lbs to lose which are the hardest to lose! My question is.....Does the added sugar from fruit hinder wt loss for anyone? should I wait to add the fruit after I reach my goal?

Thanks for any comments!!

Replies

• carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you asked this question because I have been wondering the same thing!! I am always going over on my sugar, and more times than not it's because I ate an apple or a banana or both, and I feel like the vitamins and fiber outweighs the added sugar in terms of health benefits, but then I feel super guilty if I also eat a light yogurt or whatever healthy breakfast option I choose (always seems to have sugar regardless). Is "fruit sugar" okay...?? I'm sure it must be better than Twizzlers and candy bars...???
  • jaylu
    jaylu Posts: 158
    Options
    i pretty much live on fruit, i eat it not because its good for you but i love it, fruit is my fav food! i prob eat too much because my sugar is always way way over but i try to keep my carbs in check. sugar from fruit isn't supposed to be as bad as processed sugar because its natural sugar and your body can deal with it easier... am i right?
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Fruit sugar is good sugar, everyone on this sight goes over their sugar intake by eating 2 servings of fruits...which is why most of them dont watch their sugar intake on MFP...they watch carbs etc.

The sugars you need to worry about is the sugar from candy and cakes etc....the negative sugar

Fruit sugar shouldnt be a problem for you or anyone else

You deffinately need fruits in your diet....and it shouldnt make you gain weight assuming you conitnue eating healthy where everything else is concerned

Dont start eating bad..and because you have fruits in your diet you blame the fruits....lol

Congrats on your weight loss and goodluck
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Could be that your sugar target is too low! But if you deliberately set it that low because you think calories in the form of carbs make it more difficult for you to lose weight than calories in the form of fat or protein, then don't eat them. I suspect you'd be short changing yourself some tasty sources of nutrients though.
  • OctoberBabe
    OctoberBabe Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I had this same question and researched it. It looks like this is one of those hot topics where you have people on both side of the fence. I love fruits and especially in the warmer months. So since I have been back I have went over on my surgar intake only due to my fruit intake. A few people I have talked with says the fiber in the fruit counter acts with the natural sugar and the body breaks it down slower and different than refined sugars. Another thing I was told was to make sure you ate a protein with the f ruit and that would help the body break it down slower. I personal think it has alot to do with your own body. Everyone is different in how their body reacts to things. At this point I'm not going to worry about it and if it seems to hurting my weight loss I will cut it down. I too have to eat high protein/low carb to loss but I try to eat healthy fresh foods instead of processed foods. I hope I helped a little.
  • coloradorios
    coloradorios Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Howdy from Texas. If you are doing P90, it should not affect you. I run 3-4 times a week for a total of about 25-35 miles, do eliptical 2 days a week for 30 min, eat protein (chicken/talapia) and as a food supplement I have shakes with berry type of fruits (Black, Blue, Rass and Strawberries (1 to 1.2 cups) I've lost a total of 46 lbs. My guess is fruit sugars are better than enriched breads and processed foods. This is what works for me. I agree with Octoberbabe. Our bodies are different.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I will just slowly add some fruit back and see how it goes. This morning I made a fruit smoothie with fruit, whey protein and 2% milk. I like the idea of having protein with my fruit! I may be one of the few bodies that doesnt respond to sugar (good or bad) I have always gained when I add it, but maybe if I keep my carbs in check and keep high protein it will be okay!
    Thanks again!!:bigsmile:
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    You should add the fruits back to your diet and see if it effects your weight loss. But with so few pounds left to lose, it's probably gonna be a slower weight loss anyway. Some fruits with the lowest amounts of sugar are strawberries and cantaloupes so you could start with adding those in.
  • jaymeg22
    jaymeg22 Posts: 3
    Options
    and maybe instead of using 2% milk, try using skim milk. It has all the same nutrients as 2%, but without the fat content.
  • sjcply
    Options
    and maybe instead of using 2% milk, try using skim milk. It has all the same nutrients as 2%, but without the fat content.

great idea! Thanks
  • JimROCDS
    JimROCDS Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Fruit has fructose or sugar, and your body metabolises it just as it does any other sugar. It will convert the sugar into glucose.

The difference is the glycemic load or how quickly it metabolizes into usable glucose. A banana is higher than an apple, and an
    apple is higher than strawberries.

For me, I have to watch the amount of fruit because I will gain weight if I eat more than two servings a day. A banana is beyond
    my tolerance. I'll gain weight eating just one banana a day.

I'm on a low-carb diet and I include fruit in my diet now that at at my pre-maintenance stage. However, I have to keep close tabs
    on my daily carb count and yes, calorie count as well. The last 10 lbs is a witch, spelled with a "B."

Jim
  • sjcply
    Options
    Fruit has fructose or sugar, and your body metabolises it just as it does any other sugar. It will convert the sugar into glucose.

The difference is the glycemic load or how quickly it metabolizes into usable glucose. A banana is higher than an apple, and an
    apple is higher than strawberries.

For me, I have to watch the amount of fruit because I will gain weight if I eat more than two servings a day. A banana is beyond
    my tolerance. I'll gain weight eating just one banana a day.

I'm on a low-carb diet and I include fruit in my diet now that at at my pre-maintenance stage. However, I have to keep close tabs
    on my daily carb count and yes, calorie count as well. The last 10 lbs is a witch, spelled with a "B."

Jim

nice to know I am not the only "weird one" that is like this!
    THanks