Burnout - incorporating workouts into a busy week

Options
Hi everyone - I am back after taking a few weeks off of logging to combat some burnout. For the past year or so I have been logging and workout out pretty religiously, and have seen terrific results.

I try to work out five days a week and that hasn't been a problem until I moved. Here's my normal routine:

Saturday - group X class
Sunday - full body strength workout
Monday - off, but long commute (Out of the house by 5:45, home by 4:45)
Tuesday - work at home, run after dropping my daughter off at preschool
Wednesday - work out with trainer during lunch break at work
Thursday - Same as Tuesday, add a bit of strength training
Friday - Off

Here's the problem - I'm starting to feel like workouts are a total grind; the only days I don't work out are my really long days work-wise. Any suggestions on how to re-vamp my workouts? I am trying to figure out whether to get up an hour earlier (around 4:15) to workout on one of my commute days, or whether to consolidate into four longer workouts, rather than the five workouts I do now, or something else. I don't like to work out after work - my daughter goes to bed around 8:15 and I like to spend the after-work time with her.

Any words of advice, encouragement, or tough love? Any thoughts on consolidating into four longer workouts? (I do know that I am really lucky to be able to work at home a couple days a week, and that definitely helps me stay on track.)

Replies

• pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I do mini workouts on my workdays. I usually go for a walk at lunch with a friend, which has been great to get me more active and more social, and I may do a short (20 min or so) bit of either dancing, weights, yoga or jogging either in the morning or after work on workdays also.

On the weekends I like to do 1hr or longer workouts because I have more time and I like to eat more! ;-) So I like to mix it up depending on how much time I have any day.

I think changing your schedule up now and then definitely helps prevent burnout and make things more fun, so I'd say why not try it for a couple weeks? Finding some things you could do together with your daughter like walks in the park, dance, jump rope/hula hoop/"toy" based exercise might help you squeeze some more fun movement into your week too. =)
  • DWPedsRN
    DWPedsRN Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Have you considered yoga? Sounds like you're juggling/balancing so much, maybe placing more emphasis on the 'work out' part of it than the 'emotional balance' side. When you find an outlet you love, it won't seem like a grind. Just keep looking and be willing to try new things.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I've been in a "running rut," and others offered advice to alternate running with strength. I'm choosing to use Insanity and Jillian Michaels videos on "strength" days because they incorporate cardio and strength. On the weekends, I also mix it up with a little heavy lifting and TaeBo. Just do something totally different. Sometimes, while watching tv at night, I get up during commercials and just do exercise moves I've learned from classes and videos.

Experiment & enjoy...lots of videos on You Tube as "teasers" for the various workout programs. Try one, or two, or ten!

Hang in there...you'll find something you love and get in the groove. In the meantime, just move. I read an article in a women's magazine about how many calories you can burn just being active and playing with your children...also keeps them active.
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Can you incorporate your daughter into your workouts? Squats while holding her? Put her in a backpack and go for a walk (I know that sounds funny) the kind hikers use lol. Or get a jogging stroller. How old is she? I bet if you did a video at home she just might imitate what you're doing! Add those things and maybe drop your Saturday routine?
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    YOGA. Im a mommy, student, and work part-time. you need to add some yoga :)
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    Sometimes you've just gotta grow some balls and do it. I leave the house at 6:00, get home after 6:00, have a wife and 3 kids to spend time with and will still bang out some cardio and a full powerlifting session. Even if I hate every second of it. No one ever said it was easy.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! The yoga suggestions remind me how helpful I found meditation...maybe with yoga I can meditate and exercise at the same time!

And yes, I know I gotta grow some balls and do it, which is what I've been doing (ovaries, though) - I'd just like to go back to where I was a few months ago, looking forward to and even craving the workouts and routine of it all. I really enjoy the workouts while I"m doing them, but feel like I'm caught up in a grind. I truly enjoy my workouts (I am good about switching it up, I love running and lifting and generally enjoy the group exercise classes) but I end up feeling burnt out from the day to day routine, regardless.