working out on a empty stomach in the morning?

Options
2»

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I think it depends more on how it makes you feel. I used to workout first thing on an empty stomach, but it would occasionally drop my blood sugar and I would get dizzy and nauseous, not optimal working out condition!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Keeping calories constant, I don't think there would be any appreciable difference in fat burn. So do what helps you feel and perform best.

Basically this ^^
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I prefer to workout on an empty stomach. I feel better afterwards, and from what I understand, If there isn't any excess glucose in your blood to burn (from the breakfast ) when you're working out, you will go straight to burning fat. Some ppl prefer to eat before, though. Listen to your body and do what feels right for you.
    Not true.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    It's personal preference. I prefer to work out fasted, so I don't have anything to throw up (on cardio days). However, I don't see diminished returns from not eating. If you do better if you eat, then eat. If you feel better doing it fasted, then don't eat.
  • gabriela182
    Options
    i guess everyone has their own preference
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    It's true! overall food intake and whether your are in a calorie deficit is way more important than if you work out on an empty stomach. I personally hate breakfast (if you check my logs you'll see I don't eat it), but my workouts are before work, empty stomach.

I have never had problems gaining muscle or losing weight doing that, so it really shouldnt matter!
  • kaltey
    kaltey Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I really think it's personal preference. I workout in the mornings and don't eat breakfast mostly because if I do it gives me heartburn.
  • galenofedgewood
    galenofedgewood Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I generally feel ill if I'm pushing hard on cardio with anything in my stomach. It's probably from all of these years in the service and not eating until after PT is over. /dunno
  • disdatdude
    Options
    That's when you should get your protein (powder) drink on 20 mins before or 20 mins after.
  • Tdacks
    Tdacks Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Count me as no food before the workout, because it makes me queasy and gives me heartburn. I can't even drink much water, because then I feel it sloshing in my stomach as I run. Ugghhh. :sick:

I used to know a young guy when I was in the Air Force who ate a huge pancake, sausage, oatmeal, etc. breakfast as we were waiting for PT formation. Seriously, he would go from chowing down to running amazingly fast 5 minute later. He was also extremely thin and ate huge meals, so his metabolism must have been through the roof.

My point is that there is no rule, and anyone telling you there is has been misinformed.
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    Training fasted definitely helps me when I'm trying to lose fat but when I'm trying to gain weight or prepping for a powerlifting meet I eat before and after my training sessions.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I work out on an empty stomach always, my best workouts are done first thing in the morning it seems
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,707 Member
    Options
    I've done the "tasted my breakfast twice" on days that I ate before heavy leg or back work. It doesn't taste as good the second time around.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition