Question about ideal weight

Options

Replies

• fusion777
    fusion777 Posts: 197
    Options
    Won't my wrist be skinnier when I lose more? Or they don't change that much??
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I'm 5-7, at first I thought size 10 was the goal. But size 10 at Old Navy and size 10 at True Religion are two VERY different 10's. then I thought 150 was about right, but now realize that it's not going to get me there. So, I have now set my goal on <20% body fat. I don't care what I weigh if a good part of it is muscle.
  • swingsintherain
    swingsintherain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    There's nothing saying you can't maintain at 135 for a while and then lose more weight later if you decide you want to lose more. As others have said, you're at a healthy weight now, and once you reach that point (or near it), the number on the scale is pretty meaningless.
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Yeah had I picked my high school weight, it would have put me at around 110. Way too thin for somebody who's 5'9". That's how I got into trouble and packed on the pounds later on - I figured I was one of those folks who was just naturally underweight, and didn't have to worry about eating healthy or counting calories...

I LOL at that now...

haha, I was that way too. I thought "I dont know why people say its so hard to keep the weight off, since i can eat whatever I want and not gain a pound" Then i hit 30 it was like an explosion haha
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Yeah had I picked my high school weight, it would have put me at around 110. Way too thin for somebody who's 5'9". That's how I got into trouble and packed on the pounds later on - I figured I was one of those folks who was just naturally underweight, and didn't have to worry about eating healthy or counting calories...

I LOL at that now...

wow! and i thought i was skinny at 105 and 5'4" in high school.

I started at 140 and my goal was 119. I am at 115 now. I'm thinking of going down to 110 though because I'm still not satisfied. I don't think you can really pick a number until you get there though.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Stop worrying about weight and concentrate on your body composition. Lift heavy and have a small calorie deficit (20% less than TDEE or 250 calories a day) and do some cardio. You will see greater changes in body composition. Weight is meaningless. I can show you several cases where women gained 10-20 lbs and now have lean and tighter bodies.

I always say, weight loss makes you look good in clothes but fat loss makes you look good naked.

This^^ It isn't weight that matter, it's body fat %
  • shorty35565
    Options

I LOL at that now...

wow! and i thought i was skinny at 105 and 5'4" in high school.

I started at 140 and my goal was 119. I am at 115 now. I'm thinking of going down to 110 though because I'm still not satisfied. I don't think you can really pick a number until you get there though.

You probably aren't going to get better with weight. 105 is not good for 5'4 btw. Ur body fat% is most likely the problem. You need to add muscle. Tho it's really hard to say without looking.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5 and 132 lbs, with 20% BF :)
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    I just recently adjusted my goal, I was shooting for 130 (what I was in high school when I fit into 6-8 jeans) but I have since come to the conclusion that I have a heck of a lot more muscle now than I did back then. I'm at 157 and I fit into most size 10's I try on, I'm thinking at 140-145 I'll be in my 6-8's and will be happy. Back then I was 130 lbs of flab, I definitely don't want that again!!
    I'm working towards the 6-8 range and when I get there I'll ease back and maintain for awhile and see how I like it. I'm guessing I'll be perfectly fine there!
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Stop worrying about weight and concentrate on your body composition. Lift heavy and have a small calorie deficit (20% less than TDEE or 250 calories a day) and do some cardio. You will see greater changes in body composition. Weight is meaningless. I can show you several cases where women gained 10-20 lbs and now have lean and tighter bodies.

I always say, weight loss makes you look good in clothes but fat loss makes you look good naked.

Ok just did my BF % and its considered in the healthy range, So I guess it really will just come down to how I think I look. I was actually surprised my BF% was as low as it was, pleasantly surprised lol
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I was thinking that too... A guy on another message board says his watch fits looser after some weight loss...
  • disdatdude
    Options
    OK. I'll be the bad guy, but only because no one else is playing devils advocate

If you were running a marathon you wouldn't be happy stopping at 18 miles.

If you played the 200mill power ball and you got all the numbers...with the exception of the powerball - You wouldn't be AS happy.

120/125 is your goal. Your focal point. If it's an unachievable goal. Acknowledge it. If you've changed your mind because you are comfortable. Be happy with that, but be truthfull to yourself. If you need to get those others off to say, "I did it"....go ahead and do it. If it doesn't feel good or you can't maintain you can always go back up in weight.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm also 5'5 medium frame and when i started out my LBM by itself was more than 141 pounds, so yeah i dont think i'll be reaching that BMI goal :laugh:

if your ultimate goal is a size and bf% then i'd suggest to go by that since there's no way of knowing what scale weight that would be
  • bbsweetpea
    bbsweetpea Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft 5 and my goal is 135. I have a small frame but honestly can't see myself lower than that. Once I hit 140 I am going to base it on my BMI.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    TIL: I have a large frame and I'm only 5 pounds away from the charts' "normal" range... but I still have to punch extra holes in the watch strap I bought from WalMart because it didn't go small enough.
  • shorty35565
    Options

Ok just did my BF % and its considered in the healthy range, So I guess it really will just come down to how I think I look. I was actually surprised my BF% was as low as it was, pleasantly surprised lol

If ur body fat % is healthy & you like the way you look, then I think ur at YOUR ideal weight.
  • shorty35565
    Options
    I was thinking that too... A guy on another message board says his watch fits looser after some weight loss...

My wrists were always tiny, even 65lbs ago.
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6, and I based my goal weight as the same as some of you - because I was 125 in high school! But, I realize that it's really BF% that matters. I am about the same weight as I was when I got married, but I have a higher % of BF and so my clothes don't fit and I just look flabby when I didn't back then. So, I sympathize! And I loved the answers here. :)
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    What matters is when you feel happy AND healthy :) if you like where you are and you can maintain it in a healthy way than you're right where you need to be! I'm glad you have found a good place!
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    In my profile picture im 5"5 and 135lbs.. im medium build.

I dunno maybe my photo will help you visualize it on yourself