protein

Options
I keep going way over my protein goal, even though i am under on cals, carbs & fats, is that ok?

Replies

• treecy1
    treecy1 Posts: 6
    Options
    I hope so because I'm the same way! I've heard you need more protein when you work out to build muscle.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    that is fine. I go over alot everyday! i have about 120-150 grams per day....but I workout 6 days a week.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you are consistently over, try changing your settings, go to goals, click change goal, select custom, and increase the amount of protein% and decrease either carbs or fat. Try increasing protein by 5% first (this will take you to 20% protein) As long as you stay under 30% protein over the long term, more protein is beneficial especially if you are doing any resistance training.
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I think it should be fine. I usually always go over on protein as well, but I'm also working out about 7 days a week.
  • SaraWo24
    SaraWo24 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem! I can't seem to hit my protein goal, but I hit everything else. I eat foods like: protein powder, greek yogurt, egg whites, lean meats, etc. I don't know what to eat that won't make me go over my calorie goal. Any ideas?
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem! I can't seem to hit my protein goal, but I hit everything else. I eat foods like: protein powder, greek yogurt, egg whites, lean meats, etc. I don't know what to eat that won't make me go over my calorie goal. Any ideas?

What are your ratios?
  • SaraWo24
    SaraWo24 Posts: 192 Member
    Options

What are your ratios?

Well, I'm doing Insanity, and following the Elite Nutrition Guide, so my ratios are: 40% Carbs, 40% Protein, and 20% Fats.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I consider protein and fiber to be minimums rather than maximums. It's not a problem.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

What are your ratios?

Well, I'm doing Insanity, and following the Elite Nutrition Guide, so my ratios are: 40% Carbs, 40% Protein, and 20% Fats.

Maybe you should go to a 40, 30, 30. Unless you're really trying to increase muscle mass (in which case you would have to eat above your normal intake, ie: no deficiet and increase cals by at least 200) there is no reason to eat more than one gram of protein per pound of weight. I know that it's not a big deal to go over protein but there is also nothing wrong with eating under it either.
    Right now I'm at 50/25/25 and it's a good ratio for me (you might be need a different ratio and that's fine) but this is what's working for me...and I don't think I could do more protein than what I'm at right now. I'm a vegetarian and I do have protein shakes to increase my protein but I try to get the most I can from natural sources.
    You might want to incorporate beans and legumes into your diet to boost the protein ratio. I'd recomend soy as an alternative to meat (if you have no aversion or allergy to it...do some research before hand). Lentils are a great source...so is quinoa. Feel free to look at my diary if you choose to (it's public).