pregnant- not eating all my calories

Options
My diary is public so feel free to take a peek. :smile: 19 weeks pregnant, obviously I'm not dieting to lose weight so I have MFP set for "maintenance". At 5"11" pre-preg weight of 185 that has me eating 2200 calories a day plus whatever I earn for exercise. I've been back to logging (mostly) daily for about two weeks and in that time I have been hundreds of calories under just about every day. My weight gain as of this time has been about 8-9 pounds which is right within the range of normal for 4 months. I don't see my doc for another week, so in the meantime I'm trying to decide whether I should: A- try to eat more calories or B- assume MFP is overestimating my calorie needs.

Oh, and I want to mention, too- if my meals seem strange that is probably because I work nights. I'm going back and forth from my night schedule to a "day" schedule on my days off and back again. So some days I get five or six meals/snacks and other days only two or three.

What do you think? Thank you! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Eat how you like. I would say don't limit your calories, but if you are full, happy, and have energy (well as much as possible), you are golden.

Personally, I ate ginormous lunches rather than the 6-8 small meals recommended, and I felt best doing this.

Not to be a ****, but unless you got the OK from your doctor, I think it's better to wait until third tri, or at least 25 weeks, before incorporating small amounts of alcohol (1-2/week) into your diet. I am aware of the research saying that small amounts have no real negative effect, but it would seem better to wait until the fetus is more developed.
  • hastinbe
    hastinbe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Don't drink beer, wine, or other alcoholic beverages while pregnant. Even if it's only 1 it increases the risk for miscarriage or delivering a baby with low birthweight.

There are several things that appear to be good, such as water, iron, protein, carbs, and fiber. I wouldn't assume that MFP is overestimating your calories; MFP doesn't know that you're pregnant.

During your second trimester it is advised to intake an additional 340 calories / day. During the third trimester it's 450 calories. Source: Institute of Medicine.
  • KatelinIsArmyStrong
    Options
    Why are you counting calories when you're pregnant? Just eat healthy, don't over do it on the naughty things, and enjoy your little one. You'll have all the time after to worry about weight. counting calories is a stressful task, don't even do it.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I don't think its a bad thing to log food while pregnant, I mean there isn't any point in NOT being aware of what you are eating. The best time to start being healthier is always RIGHT NOW.

Personally, if you are concerned until your doctor chimes in, I'd probably split the difference between where you are and what your maintenance calories are. I mean you aren't losing weight, and if you are gaining on schedule you aren't likely to be too far off from where you should be. But I'm a fan of moderation.

Also, if you are on a weird eating schedule, you might try renaming your "meals". Instead of breakfast lunch dinner snacks, I have four hour long blocks circling 24 hours. My new day for tracking starts at midnight.

Edited due to stupid auto correct.
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on your pregnancy! That is absolutely wonderful! I've only been logging in and not doing much else on MFP the last 9 months so I must have missed this wonderful news :)

I think that as long as you are eating the right foods, are feeling full, and you and baby are gaining the proper weight and your Dr. is happy, don't worry about it.

Congrats again!
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    As a doula and midwifery student, I do want to encourage you to really listen to your body. Your cravings are there for a reason; but make sure that whatever you crave, you make a responsible choice about it.

Over all, I'd focus less on calories and more on food groups: protein, carbs, salt, water, fats, etc.

I don't have time right now, but I'll try to come back to this and give a more detailed explanation of what I mean by all this.