Question about the Paleo diet

Options
envy09
envy09 Posts: 353 Member
I don't really know much about the Paleo diet (other than it being based on the paleolithic period), but I was thinking about this the other day. Can people who eat paleo eat foods that didn't exist during the paleolithic period? If they can, why call it paleo, and if they can't, why are bananas listed on the "ok" foods list?

Replies

• caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Yes. People who eat Paleo foods eat foods that didn't exist during paleolithic times. They also use computers that didn't exist. And live in homes. Drive cars. Talk on cell phones. And shop at grocery stores for bananas.

Paleo is the name given because it's a dietary framework based on what humans ate through most of human history. It's not about trying to recreate a specific paleolithic menu, as this varied based on geography. Think broad categories... meat, fish, vegetables, fruits, nuts. It's a stupid name.

By the way, I assume bananas existed during the paleolithic period, and I figure that humans ate them if they lived somewhere bananas grew.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    The paleo diet just means that you should stick to foods that either you can kill or grow in the ground, just like in the paleolithic times. So no dairy or processed foods
  • pj300a
    pj300a Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The idea is more about eating things that could be hunted or gathered. By looking at the food that way, you get away from things that are processed. That's the biggest part of paleo to me. I know I didn't really give you a good answer, but this article has a lot on paleo (and is what got me started on it). It also links out to a lot of other articles and research on paleo. Plus, who doesn't like lego characters? http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/
  • envy09
    Options

By the way, I assume bananas existed during the paleolithic period, and I figure that humans ate them if they lived somewhere bananas grew.

The common Banana is a product of human intervention. They were developed in 1836, so I doubt paleolithic people had an opportunity to eat them.
  • caribougal
    Options

The common Banana is a product of human intervention. They were developed in 1836, so I doubt paleolithic people had an opportunity to eat them.

I learned something new today. Those crazy humans!
  • caribougal
    Options

Hey, wait! You led me astray. You made me curious and at 5pm when I should be heading home, instead I'm googling Bananas. My trusted, never wrong friend Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options

Hey, wait! You led me astray. You made me curious and at 5pm when I should be heading home, instead I'm googling Bananas. My trusted, never wrong friend Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana

Tricksie tricksie. There are nearly no foods we consume today that aren't products of human intervention. My understanding is the plants and such that paleo people would have ate were bitter and foul.

While bananas may have been around for ages, the nummy nummy ones in grocery stores are the 1836ish breed.

My question is, if people don't hunt and gather why should they eat like hunters and gatherers?
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I don't really know much about the Paleo diet (other than it being based on the paleolithic period), but I was thinking about this the other day. Can people who eat paleo eat foods that didn't exist during the paleolithic period? If they can, why call it paleo, and if they can't, why are bananas listed on the "ok" foods list?

Same reason many eat farmed beef and farmed pork products but not farmed grains.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Darn them and their cross breeding! Lucily cows have never been crossbred, oh wait! But I shouldnt be on this topic cuz I know nothing about paleo. I'm in the calorie reduction via portion control and move more crowd. Just thought that was an interesting comment.

• suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    How was lard made in paleo times?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Your quite wrong.
    The banana has been called the most ancient fruit on earth, for it was being enjoyed by man long before recorded history began.

The banana probably first grew in Malaysia and Thailand in Southeast Asia, and was spread by natives to China and India at a very early date. Alexander the Great and his soldiers, who conquered parts of India in the 4th century B.C., were probably the first Europeans to sample the fruit.

In 1516, a priest brought the first banana plants to the New World, planting them on a Caribbean island. The banana grew so well there that it was soon planted all over the tropical regions of Central and South America. But bananas remained rare and expensive in the United States until around 1900, when traders found better ways to transport fresh bananas to this country.

Today, the banana is America’s most popular fresh fruit. Americans eat more apples and oranges than they do bananas, but many of these apples and oranges go into making juices and prepared foods. Bananas are almost always eaten fresh. Each year, Americans enjoy about 12 billion bananas, about 19 pounds per person!

When Puritan settlers in America first received a shipment of bananas, they boiled them, skin and all!
  • envy09
    Options

Your [sic] quite wrong.
    The banana has been called the most ancient fruit on earth, for it was being enjoyed by man long before recorded history began.

The banana probably first grew in Malaysia and Thailand in Southeast Asia, and was spread by natives to China and India at a very early date. Alexander the Great and his soldiers, who conquered parts of India in the 4th century B.C., were probably the first Europeans to sample the fruit.

In 1516, a priest brought the first banana plants to the New World, planting them on a Caribbean island. The banana grew so well there that it was soon planted all over the tropical regions of Central and South America. But bananas remained rare and expensive in the United States until around 1900, when traders found better ways to transport fresh bananas to this country.

Today, the banana is America’s most popular fresh fruit. Americans eat more apples and oranges than they do bananas, but many of these apples and oranges go into making juices and prepared foods. Bananas are almost always eaten fresh. Each year, Americans enjoy about 12 billion bananas, about 19 pounds per person!

When Puritan settlers in America first received a shipment of bananas, they boiled them, skin and all!

Sorry, but YOU are quite wrong. I said "common banana" and by this I mean the Cavendish Banana.

"The yellow sweet banana is a mutant strain of the cooking banana, discovered in 1836 by Jamaican Jean Francois Poujot, who found one of the banana trees on his plantation was bearing yellow fruit rather than green or red. Upon tasting the new discovery, he found it to be sweet in its raw state, without the need for cooking. He quickly began cultivating this sweet variety."

http://homecooking.about.com/od/foodhistory/a/bananahistory.htm
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Your [sic] quite wrong.

Sorry, but YOU are quite wrong. I said "common banana" and by this I mean the Cavendish Banana.

"The yellow sweet banana is a mutant strain of the cooking banana, discovered in 1836 by Jamaican Jean Francois Poujot, who found one of the banana trees on his plantation was bearing yellow fruit rather than green or red. Upon tasting the new discovery, he found it to be sweet in its raw state, without the need for cooking. He quickly began cultivating this sweet variety."

Whomever wrote that on "about.com" is wrong.

I have researched and read this evening several University website that fall right in line with what I originally posted. Bananas have been around for a long, long time. Mass production began around the time that you state, but they weren't invented" then.

Complete hogwash.

http://www.plu.edu/~bananas/brief-history/home.html

Bananas were originally found in South East Asia, mainly in India. They were brought west by Arab conquerors in 327 B.C. and moved from Asia Minor to Africa and finally carried to the New World by the first explorers and missionaries to the Caribbean. The mass production of bananas started in 1834 and really started exploding in the late 1880’s.1

Before the 1870’s most of the land that bananas were grown on in the Caribbean had been previously used to grow sugar. After this time low marsh land started to be drained along with forests that were cleared in Central America for banana monocrops (which is growing one crop to increase productivity).2
  • caribougal
    Options
    Bananas- This is the strangest tangent in a paleo thread in a while. Can we get back to the usual snark about how if we were really eating paleo we'd be eating mammoth and insects? Or, the vegan myth that we're really all herbivores?
  • ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options
    Bananas- This is the strangest tangent in a paleo thread in a while. Can we get back to the usual snark about how if we were really eating paleo we'd be eating mammoth and insects? Or, the vegan myth that we're really all herbivores?

Yeah, I agree we take the brunt of the snark while all the shakeology and "clense" crowd get off scott free.
  • envy09
    Options

Your [sic] quite wrong.

Whomever wrote that on "about.com" is wrong.

I have researched and read this evening several University website that fall right in line with what I originally posted. Bananas have been around for a long, long time. Mass production began around the time that you state, but they weren't invented" then.

Complete hogwash.

http://www.plu.edu/~bananas/brief-history/home.html

Bananas were originally found in South East Asia, mainly in India. They were brought west by Arab conquerors in 327 B.C. and moved from Asia Minor to Africa and finally carried to the New World by the first explorers and missionaries to the Caribbean. The mass production of bananas started in 1834 and really started exploding in the late 1880’s.1

Before the 1870’s most of the land that bananas were grown on in the Caribbean had been previously used to grow sugar. After this time low marsh land started to be drained along with forests that were cleared in Central America for banana monocrops (which is growing one crop to increase productivity).2

How can you not understand that I meant the common banana? You're talking about the "cooking" banana, not the yellow one you see in the store.