Lonely-in need of support

Options
Hi guys. I just started about two weeks ago on my life style change. The first week I did really well, and this week not so well. Still under my cals but barely. Starting to recede to my old ways of being bored and munching on things. For some reason I feel like I'm hungrier this week. I don't know. I need to do this but it is unbelievably hard to stay committed when you know it is going to be for the long haul. My family just rolls their eyes at me when I said that I was going to do this by using mfp as my support to loose the weight this time. Its a little hard to believe in yourself when your loved ones don't seem to.

Replies

• MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    You are more than welcome to add me. My family thinks I've become a calorie counting nut.
  • Mustaine4Pres
    Options
    Feel free to add me. You can totally do this!
  • Jelibeen
    Jelibeen Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. I feel this way ALL the time. Just take one day at a time and track, track, track. WE can do this! As for family being negative - prove them wrong! Don't listen to their negativeness. Add me if you want :-)
  • tchell99
    tchell99 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I started Jan 2 so am also pretty new. Feel free to add me!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    There are definitely tools to get through those hunger periods. I am very guilty of snacking while bored, so instead I keep a big bottle of water by me and I just drink when I start thinking I'm hungry. It keeps me away from the temptations in the kitchen. MFP is definitely great for keeping you accountable. Feel free to add me if you'd like :)
  • aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I think your one down fall is your attitude toward your own ability to accomplish this goal. Even in your profile it says, "I 'm a yo-yo dieter, I never stay committed." Just by putting that there you affirmed it for yourself.
    You CAN loose the weight, but you need to flip on that switch inside yourself. A more positive attitude should be where to start. Family and friends who are not supportive can go kick a biscuit in my opinion. Do it for you, prove it to yourself! I believe you can!
  • melnix1
    melnix1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi virginiadavis - I have just started too - about a week ago actually. I know what you mean about support. I think it makes all the difference. I just recently joined a group of ladies that are trying to lose too. The instructor suggested to us that we put a picture on our fridge of what our motivation is. Mine is a picture of me at my goal weright 9 years ago with my mom who has lost the weight and kept it off. Another thing I have found helpful is trying to stop myself before I eat something and really think about it. It's amazing how many times I have caught myself munching out of habit and not because of hunger. Hope that helps a little :)
  • lalalillysan
    Options
    I am completely with aakokopello7...Affirming that you CAN do this is part of the journey! Every morning when I put my feet on the ground out of bed I think to myself..."Today is a new day. I will presented with new opportunities and new choices. I can do all things that I desire. Today I strive to be better than ever before. I forgive myself for poor decisions, and praise myself for good ones. I am strong, and I can do anything and everything I desire!" I literally say this every single day, as my affirmation for a new and better day. You CAN lose weight beautiful girl, we all can, and that is why we are here. Together we are strong. You're never alone on this journey.
  • Royalsbatwench
    Royalsbatwench Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    That sucks that your family isn't being supportive. That can certainly hinder things. You are more than welcome to friend me. I am active and I really try to support my friends. I look forward to seeing what they've accomplished and how they are doing for the day. I am flawed and I will have bad days. I am battling a knee injury now but I'm getting back to exercise. I keep an open diary and I'm super anal about logging. I will comment on my friends diaries and if they ask for advise I will give it. And I don't just talk about diet and exercise. So if that sounds like a friend you would like to have then I'm here :drinker:

One thing that helps me is remembering that my friends are looking at me to be a good example and their support. If I have a set back then they may have a set back and I owe us both more than that. I also think having an open diary keeps you accountable.
  • jaclynZ
    jaclynZ Posts: 49
    Options
    anyone feel free to add me :) love giving support and sharing recipes/workouts!
  • fatnomore201220132014
    Options
    Hey! My family thinks I'm crazy because I am very careful about counting every single calorie I consume, but I could care less what they think now. I know in the long run this will pay off and I'm sticking to it, regardless if everyone thinks I'm nuts for caring so much about what I eat.

Do it for yourself and stop looking at others for approval.

Ive been on her since October 2012 and in the beginning tracking your calories can be freakishly annoying, believe me when I say It got so annoying I wanted to quit! As time passes and you keep logging, it becomes second nature.

Best of Luck and stick to it! It works! :D
  • k8ecakes
    Options
    Feel free to add me :)
  • Royalsbatwench
    Royalsbatwench Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    And honestly if they aren't being supportive then maybe you should put them on the back burner so to speak. If someone doesn't have my best interest in mind then I have difficulties giving a poop.
  • cuddlescreampuff
    cuddlescreampuff Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I believe you can do this! I find it so sad your family does not support or believe in you. Why don't you just prove them all wrong. Now wouldn't that be ammunition enough to reach your goal?!! The fact that you lost 7 pounds in 2 weeks is truly amazing!! I have never lost that much in such a short time. I will be happy to team up with you on here so we can keep each other motivated. Feel free to add me :D
  • pili90
    pili90 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling, my family doesn't believe in me either, but I'm going to prove them wrong. I will prove that I can, and how amazing I am. I know you are too, it is hard, but you can do it! I know that!

:)
  • sensitivegirl
    sensitivegirl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I echo what everyone has said so far here. Change your thinking first, the actions will soon follow. Remind yourself that being at that healthy weight and feeling so proud of yourself feels better than how that cookie will taste for a few seconds. I have heard that if you want to get movitated and inspired, you should surround yourself with others who are doing what you want to do. And you've done that by joining MFP! We are all in this together and I am amazed on a daily basis how supportive everyone is. You know exactly where your like-minded friends are when you need support! And remember to keep going. Even if you go off course a little for a day or a week. The ONLY thing that will work is if you just keep trying everyday! You go girl!
  • swillybay
    swillybay Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The BEST part about MFP is that almost everyone understands your predicament! So far I've only been on MFP for two weeks, and it's the first time in my LIFE where I've been successful at tracking my eating and exercise and it's FUN because I have friends (most of whom I don't even know their first name) on here who are helping me along. You CAN do this! We can help!
  • namesanita
    namesanita Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It is hard to lose weight. You are basically reprogramming your brain and creating new habits. It usually takes 6 weeks to make a new habit seem easy and even longer to make it permanent and part of you. It's also difficult to find balance between going too hard and breaking or going too easy on yourself.
    I know what you mean by how difficult it is. So often people say "eat less, it's easy" But it's hard. You're not alone.
  • virginiadavis9803
    virginiadavis9803 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to thank you all for the support. Its not so much that I was looking for my families approval, its just it was kind of a slap in the face when I told my sister I was going to try and loose weight again and she was like yeah okay. Guess I just didnt expect it from her and I depend on her for support on most things. I expected it from my other family members. But then I have struggled with weight issues most of my life so looking from their point of view I can see why they are like yeah okay. Food is my drug and hopefully now that I am "older and wiser" I'm really wanting to do this. I want it for my self and because of my son. I am logging in everyday and staying in my calorie intake. ANd woot woot I have done this for two weeks! Longer than I normally last. SO I am proud of that. I am really just looking for some moral support. I have been on here for a few weeks and am just looking for some supportive friends. So thank you all for listening and supporting.
  • SSarahh23
    SSarahh23 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've sent you a request :) Anyone can add me!