Overage on Vitamin A

Options
I am concerned about my intake of Vitamin A being over the 100% goal. How much overage can lead to health problems? I each a spinach salad each day for lunch which I love but with 2 cups of baby spinach I am at about 115% not including other items in the salad that have a few extra percents. I also drink a muscle milk each morning for breakfast which contains 20% of Vitamin A. This puts me even further over the goal and still counting with other foods that have smaller percentages. I really enjoy both the muscle milk and my spinach salad. Do I need to be concerned?

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    There are different forms of vitamin A and only retinol from foods like liver is toxic in excess. The carotenes found in fruits and veggies are precursors and are non toxic.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I think the general rule is that retinol is from animal products and carotenoid is from plant products. So if you're getting most of your vitamin A from plant products you should be okay and don't worry about overages too much. If you find your vitamin A is coming from animal products then you should cut back, as it can cause liver problems and decreased bone density.
  • skinnydemko
    skinnydemko Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi group, my issue is I'm deficient in vitamin A I'm taking a 10,000 IU pill every morning plus what ever I get from food. Now the kicker is im a weight loss surgery patent and this is my only issue granted a big one! My issue I think is my low fat diet? Being that vitamin A is a fat soluble vitamin? Any thoughts would be helpful!
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Your odds of damage are probably pretty low. But if you are worried ask your doctor. He/she can better speak to this vitamin in relationship to your surgery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_poisoning
    Comparative safety statistics

In the United States, overdose exposure to all formulations of "vitamins" was reported by 62,562 individuals in 2004 (nearly 80%(~78%, n=48,989) of these exposures were in children under the age of 6), leading to 53 "major" life-threatening outcomes and 3 deaths(2 from Vitamins - D and E; 1 from polyvitaminic type formula, with iron and no fluoride).[2] This may be compared to the 19,250 people who died of unintentional poisoning of all kinds in the U.S. in the same year (2004).[3] In 2010, 71,000 exposures to various vitamins and multivitamin-mineral formulations were reported to poison control centers, which resulted in 15 major reactions but no deaths.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervitaminosis_A
    The U.S. Institute of Medicine says that the Lowest Observed Adverse Effect Level (LOAEL) for vitamin A, when taken over an extended period of time is 21,600 IU.[7] Most multivitamins contain vitamin A doses below 10,000 IU, therefore multi-vitamins are unlikely to cause vitamin A toxicity when taken at their recommended dosages.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Hi group, my issue is I'm deficient in vitamin A I'm taking a 10,000 IU pill every morning plus what ever I get from food. Now the kicker is im a weight loss surgery patent and this is my only issue granted a big one! My issue I think is my low fat diet? Being that vitamin A is a fat soluble vitamin? Any thoughts would be helpful!

What does your doctor say?