MyFitnessPal destroys metabolisms?

Options

Replies

• S_U_M_M_E_R
    Options
    I think the purpose of setting it low is that you're suppose to be encouraged to workout if you want to eat more. I feel like I am eating more with MFP than I was with Weight Watchers. Hard to say, bc WW uses a point system, but I was always hungry with WW and when I went over, I never lost. With MFP I am losing 1 lb a week and not hungry at all. I know that is slow weight loss, but as long as it comes off, I won't be complaining. Especially when I am not hungry.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    MFP default recommendations both in calories and macros lean more on sedentary people living in US. In my case, I live in a 3rd world country where the vast majority don't own a car and walking, doing back-breaking household chores the old fashioned way are part of our daily lives. In fact I still losing weight on 1600 calories (MFP supposed maintenance settings for lightly active for a 5'2, 123 lbs. 34 years old woman). So I adjusted my settings to very active even if I have a desk job (sedentary). I researched about BMR & TDEE in several sites and found out that my TDEE which was based on my weight, height, age, gender & body fat % is around 2,300 calories plus the fact that I do intense heavy weight lifting and gained almost 10 lbs. of muscles which isn't accounted on MFP's BMR & TDEE calculations since they only based it on your age, gender, body weight and height.
  • AphelionPDX
    Options
    I was nervous at first when my suggested calorie intake was 1330. What I have found after the last few weeks though is that if I make healthy food choices, 1330 is not too low at all. Especially on days I work out, I eat back my calories. It's given me even more motivation to work out, because I love to eat!
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    Options
    Find what works for you and do it. Or don't. The rest of us are fine, happy, losing weight and getting fit. Before MFP I talked a lot about needing to watch what I ate, get more exercise, yadda yadda yadda. MFP makes me accountable, gives me support, structure and consistency. I could have continued sitting on my butt yakking about it, but I'd still be 33+ lbs heavier and out of shape. BTW, my diet has slowly changed over the past year and a half as my body awareness has increased. You're not stuck with something that isn't right for you; change it as necessary.
    Well said, this is my story as well!
  • garystidham1
    garystidham1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i think its more about what you choose to eat i have no problem staying under 1400c a day but i eat lots of vegetables and fruit
    to fill me up so i dont feel hungry
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    If you feel your cals are too low then change them. There are no MFP police that come to your house and force you to only eat 1200 calories. There has to be a point where you are responsible for your own decisions about your body. The key is to educate yourself. There are literally hundreds of threads on how to calculate your #s and how to eat more to lose weight. Be informed - and make your own decisions and don't be scared to alter your calorie goals here if they are not right for you. It's like the people that blindly follow their GPS directions and drive off a cliff or into a lake - technology can only do so much and there has to be a point where our educated minds override it when necessary.

This.
    I started with the bog standard 1200 and followed the instructions to eat some/most of my exercise cals back (because .... That's the way the site works!!!)
    Then when I was ready - I did that research to understand my BMR and TDEE - I read up on eating more to weigh less, and now I have adjusted my MINIMUM to be my BMR and I eat back enough of my exercise cals to hit a TDEE deficit.

It takes a while to get to that point ... But when you do the research and see the results, the sense of satisfaction is fabulous.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Ive done plenty of research and never used the suggested goals. I just wish they would change whatever formula it is that they use. I'm worried about other users hurting their metabolisms or developing EDs. People seem to think that losing weight is the same thing as success. Often its not. Often its a horrible ratio of muscle loss to fat loss.

The best way to start a diet is start your calories high and tweak them down 100 every few weeks until you hit a healthy rate of fat loss. You must ignore the first few weeks due to water fluctuations and what not and women need to take into account that menstrual cycles can effect weight a lot.

MFP needs to fix this. They are misleading people and a lot of people use this software.

CHANGE THE DAMN FORMULA!

You might not have to worry about it much longer, if you continue to be a member after your dummy spit it would be amazing.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    This stuff is only recommendations. Do your research and set up your own, there's a place for that. Many people come on and don't have a clue as to what to do or how to start. The recommendations gives them a starting place, then it is RESEARCH/Trial and Error.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    MFP is a tool to track your food and exercise. It is up to you to educate yourself on what works for you. To learn about your BMR, TDEE, etc. MFP doesn't tell you that you absolutely have to follow a program. Also, MFP gives you your calorie goals and expects you to eat your exercise calories back.

If you decide to lie about your activity level because you think sedentary will get you there faster - that was your decision.

If you put a 2lb loss when trying to lose 12.5lbs even though you should be at 0.5lbs loss/week..that's your decision.

Best advice - educate yourself. There are ton of resources you can search online for free.

If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Or for a different version to figure out your TDEE, as well as some great advice...check out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833500-what-do-i-do-common-sense-cliff-notes

Check this out for some tips too...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/844040-raspberry-ketones-for-the-rest-of-us

Also, if you are worried about the calorie intake, I also suggest you read this thread that has numerous people who met their goals and are maintaining. Some for years and they also provide their calorie intake and how often they work out.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816542-let-s-hear-it-for-maintainenance

For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group: (Read all the stickies. It's great information to know.)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

For info about your macros (proteins/fats/carbs) - check out this link. It will give you the formula to figure out your #s and also how to custom change them in MFP:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

For those eating below their BMR (which I think 1200 is below your BMR to be honest), not going to preach at you, but here's something you might want to look at:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/81391-starvation-mode-myths-and-science
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/859495-if-only-i-had-known?page=1#posts-12919931

Yes, this is can all be overwhelming and complicated , but you are more than welcome to ask questions on the post.
    One of the things that I have found that has been one of the best methods for me to get fit is to understand fitness. To understand where all these figures, etc come from.

The good thing is once you get the hang of it - it is something you'll be aware of constantly and you'll get a better understanding about your eating habits.

So I HIGHLY suggest making the effort to take every chance to educate yourself. Even if you don't end up going with any of these methods, calculations, etc - at least you understand what they are, where others are coming from, and maybe they will still be able to help you figure out what is best for you.
  • awisegirl84
    awisegirl84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I eat 900kcal a day and I have zero hunger. Well except today when I had my cheat meal and I ate over 3000 LOL

Why are you only eating 900 calories a day?? And then binging. That's not helpful advice...or healthy.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Ive done plenty of research and never used the suggested goals. I just wish they would change whatever formula it is that they use. I'm worried about other users hurting their metabolisms or developing EDs. People seem to think that losing weight is the same thing as success. Often its not. Often its a horrible ratio of muscle loss to fat loss.

The best way to start a diet is start your calories high and tweak them down 100 every few weeks until you hit a healthy rate of fat loss. You must ignore the first few weeks due to water fluctuations and what not and women need to take into account that menstrual cycles can effect weight a lot.

MFP needs to fix this. They are misleading people and a lot of people use this software.

CHANGE THE DAMN FORMULA!

well, I was recommended 1750calories. After calculations with my bf% and inches etc I came out to be around 1850. Thats BESIDES my workouts which MFP recommends I eat back the calories. For pretty much everybody around here MFP have been off by only 100-150 calories which is understandable since those recommendations are without measurements. I think you might be doing something wrong there skipper

I disagree. You're a male, and I find that mfp gets calories virtually dead on for males however 1200 cal diets get handed out like candy on Halloween. That's the reason it comes up over and over and over again in the forums. Destroying metabolisms is overly dramatic phrasing, but it is a serious problem.

Yes, I agree people need to educate themselves, but expecting them to show up none day one armed with knowledge is unrealistic. You come here because you don't know, and you use the recommended settings because you trust the site.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

CHANGE THE DAMN FORMULA!

You seem kinda controlling for something that Is NOT Yours!!! Why are you so concerned about "others"...has anyone asked YOU for help. We are ONLY our "brothers' keeper" to the extent to which anyone will ALLOW! The formula does NOT need to be changed because there is a place for anyone to set up their own. You are controlling and that is a detriment to YOU. CHILL! Anyone eating 1200 calories a day won't die from "starvation" nor turn anorexic (that is a psychological and emotional disease that effects the body, and NOT Vice Versa!!!)
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    As a nurse, this is the medically recommended formula. I don't recall the exact percentages for fat, carbs, protein, and whatever, but basically, most people use about 2,000 calories per day, just by being alive. If you're more active, at may be more, and the opposite if you're less active. It takes 3,500 calories to burn 1 pound of fat, so to lose 1 pound of fat/week, you should cut 500 calories/day. It is recommended that you cut 250 calories from food, and burn the other 250 calories with exercise. So depending on weight, muscle mass, and activity, most of us should consume appx 1500 calories/day, and burn 250 calories/day with exercise. Men should also figure in more calories, as they burn more, due to more muscle mass. Sooooooo...if you want to burn more calories faster, and be able to eat more....gain more muscle! :smile:
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    MFP works so well for me. I do as it says, and I lose what it predicts. It seems quite right to me. What, are you wanting to eat 2500 calories every day? You can if you work out hard enough...
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I eat 900kcal a day and I have zero hunger. Well except today when I had my cheat meal and I ate over 3000 LOL

For the whole eating under a 1000 calories, look...you are going to do what you want but check out the link below at some of the stories of people who thought it was okay (especially because they weren't "feeling" hungry a lot of times) but ended up regretting it. These links are just information to give you options. I'm not preaching or trying to tell you or anyone what is the "right way"...just throwing some info your way is all.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521480-1000-calories-or-less-a-day
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
    http://www.fitwatch.com/weight-loss/3-reasons-why-eating-less-than-1000-calories-is-a-waste-of-time-3347.html
  • NRSPAM
    Options
    PS, this is probably based on a 150lb woman, and it is recommended that you don't lose more than 1-2 pounds /week. If you're losing more than this, you should definately increase calories, or else you can damage your metabolism. Fat, like any living tissue, requires energy, (calories) muscle requires more energy, so basically it burns more calories than fat. If you are very overweight, you most likely will require more than 1,500 calories/day. Hope this helps!!!
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    MFP's system works fine as long as people a) eat back their exercise calories and b)are honest about their activity level.

not sure how it's MFPs responsibility to make sure people are doing what they are supposed to do
    AMEN!!
  • NRSPAM
    Options
    That is so dangerous!!!! It is very unhealthy, whether you're hungry or not! You were basically starving your body, which is why you consumed 3,000 calories!!!
  • PikaKnight
    Options

CHANGE THE DAMN FORMULA!

You seem kinda controlling for something that Is NOT Yours!!! Why are you so concerned about "others"...has anyone asked YOU for help. We are ONLY our "brothers' keeper" to the extent to which anyone will ALLOW! The formula does NOT need to be changed because there is a place for anyone to set up their own. You are controlling and that is a detriment to YOU. CHILL! Anyone eating 1200 calories a day won't die from "starvation" nor turn anorexic (that is a psychological and emotional disease that effects the body, and NOT Vice Versa!!!)

I don't think he's being controlling - but I do think that MFP needs to send some sort of message to new users that provides information about choosing things correctly. It should maybe provide an alert or warning that eating below your BMR is not recommended.

I bet though, even if they did all this, you'd still have people put their goals to 1200..lol.
  • NRSPAM
    Options
    Sorry, starting to get the hang of this. I will have to start quoting whatever I'm replying to! Lol :wink: