Replies

• Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    No. But I bet if I did, it would get me to clean more. :laugh:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    No. I only count intentional exercise as exercise. If I were to find myself extra hungry as a result of my cleaning effort, I would just go over that day and note it in my diary. I think it's a slippery slope and a disservice to yourself to count everyday activities as exercise.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    No. I only count intentional exercise as exercise. If I were to find myself extra hungry as a result of my cleaning effort, I would just go over that day and note it in my diary. I think it's a slippery slope and a disservice to yourself to count everyday activities as exercise.

^^This
  • Markus_7
    Markus_7 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    it's exercise if you put some elbow grease into it...and don't eat or drink sugary drinks while you're exercising.
  • stephaniethomas80
    stephaniethomas80 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't. I would feel ridiculous counting cleaning as exercise :-/
  • mltdown
    mltdown Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Only if you're cleaning the gym equipment, after using it...

^^^ haha for real!!! I clean all day every day caring for my two children. But never log in because I know if I want to really change my body I need to be getting down in the gym for some seriou exercise. Just forget its even there to Log :)
  • MSmooth747
    MSmooth747 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Deep clean, light clean, both are No. I take cleaning as a natural part of life. I think that as we get too lazy and try to take short cuts and call certain things excersing that is not.
  • goodarzi
    goodarzi Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I count deep cleaning.
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have sedentary in my profile so I count everything that is not just ordinary living. I want to contrast what I eat with what I do. Maybe later when I am closer to goal I will change that
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Doesn't "count" as what? If you burned the calories, you should get to log 'em!
  • jacktin
    jacktin Posts: 24
    Options
    ANY time I break a good sweat, I count it as exercise FTW :D If I am cleaning my apartment top to bottom for 4 hours, including vacuuming, sweeping and mopping I sure am going to count that! My nutritionist also advised me to do the same. However, I am 5'4" 277lbs. I do actual exercise (step aerobics, Wii Fit, etc.) as well too and count them all accordingly.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I personally only count my scheduled exercise, because it is more intense than everyday activity.

I'd rather be cautious and burn too many calories, rather than too few. I have a fairly active job where I lift trays, restock, walk, and stand for long periods of time. I have been losing weight about a quarter pound above what my calories should allow and that's probably from my work.

But I don't count it in my log. I might eat too many exercise calories back, then stop losing weight. I want to see that progress at the end of the week. People have a tendency to under count calories and over count exercise. I want a little wiggle room with my diet, and the extra activity helps.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    For anything more than your usual housework, I'd count it. I bet cleaning your son's room involved lots of squats, steps, maybe stairs, constant motion, right? That's more than running a vacuum or washing dishes. I would've done what you did, counted 1/2 the time spent as activity.
  • jj1973
    jj1973 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It depends more on if I think about it or not.

But then again my evenings consist of my getting home from work, cooking supper and then jumping on the treadmill to watch TV (usually a sporting event). I step off of the treadmill during commercials to clean up the kitchen, wash a load of clothes etc....It's all part of my workout!
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    If you already have it calculated into your activity level, then no, as you would be doubling them up. If you do not have them accounted for, and are eating 1200-1400 per day, then log em and eat em. As long as your total eaten in a day is above bmr and below tdee, you're in a healthy deficit. Invest in a heart rate monitor to get an accurate read, and calculate your bmr and tdee to see what an appropriate calorie goal would be for you. :)
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I think I logged cleaning once, I was playing with my new HRM. I might log it out of curiosity, I would never eat it back.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    nope shouldn't count it.
  • RobynMcGregor
    Options
    Definitely count it especially in the hot weather we are having! Wrestling with the vacuum and dodging the dog that is trying to kill it definitely uses up calories as does cleaning the windows, ceilings or floors.

I also count the steps I do climbing up and down to my classroom and the staffroom and I did those while I put on weight as well, just no where near as quickly, but I am still going to count them as something I have done.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I'd rather not log it and have it as extra floaty magical calories than count it and end up over-estimating. Unless I purposefully set out to do a workout, I don't add it.

^ this.

a very practical way to look at it.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I'm set to sedentary, so if I ever actually cleaned, then I'd possibly count it since the calories for sedentary assume that I'm sitting on my *kitten* all day. As such, I count walking. I don't really clean much though.