Got a question!

Options
Im 5"4, Female and 182lbs..... If i was to eat between 700 to 800 cals per day and burn between 400 to 500 cals per day would i lose weight? or would i need to burn more cals than that...... im easily confused lol

Replies

• Tanja_CHH
    Tanja_CHH Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You would lose weight the first week then become too ill for your body to lose fat and lose muscle mass and not be able to function. Your net needs to be your BMR. Which means you need to eat the amount of calories your BMR (calculate it online) is and then also eat your workout calories to effeciently loose a large amount of weight.
  • megot78
    megot78 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You would lose, but that's not enough net calories to be successful, IMO. You'll be so hungry that it will be easy to fail.

3500 calories = 1 pound. So if you reduce your cals by 500 a day, either thru restricting food or working out, in 7 days, you'll lose 1 pound.
  • MummyTina29
    MummyTina29 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments :smile: ive been so hungry....feeling that way all day every day is not a nice feeling....i thought the more cals you burn and the less cals you eat was the way to do it......so eat more and exercise more!!! is that the way to do it? and if anyone's got any recipes they would like to share with me would be great!!!! :happy:
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Im 5"4, Female and 182lbs..... If i was to eat between 700 to 800 cals per day and burn between 400 to 500 cals per day would i lose weight? or would i need to burn more cals than that...... im easily confused lol

You would be a sick women if that is all you ate and your metabolism would be damaged. Please eat at least your BMR and eat back your exercise calories. You were given a link, please check it out and stay healthy. You can lose weight by eating the right foods in the right amount.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments :smile: ive been so hungry....feeling that way all day every day is not a nice feeling....i thought the more cals you burn and the less cals you eat was the way to do it......so eat more and exercise more!!! is that the way to do it? and if anyone's got any recipes they would like to share with me would be great!!!! :happy:

This is a fairly common misconception of the whole "burn more, eat less" generalization. Your body needs calories just for basic survival - breath, think, digest, etc - as if you were in a coma. This amount of calories is referred to as Basal Metabolic Rate or BMR. Trust MFP's numbers and use these as your calorie guideline. Set your weekly weight loss goal to 1 pound per week and eat the amount of calories it gives you per day. When you exercise, eat back at least half of those calories.

Too high of a calorie deficit can be dangerous to your health. Eventually it will mess up your metabolism and you will likely be under nourished which can cause a whole spectrum of issues.

Fuel your body and be healthy, don't starve yourself.
  • billiegirl17
    billiegirl17 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Lots of people have already logged in with good advice. Really, you have to eat more. Slow and steady weight loss and you can keep it off. Set some short term goals and then some long term goals. I have approx 26 lbs to lose it by June. That's not even 2 lbs per week. I know it's frustrating and you want to see immediate changes, but slow changes will last longer.
  • MummyTina29
    MummyTina29 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Just want to thank everyone for their comments again :smile: i finally understand exactly what i have to do :happy: my lovely boyfriend has went over it with me cos im really slow at trying to understand things :laugh: so here is hoping the weight will fall off!!!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    so here is hoping the weight will fall off!!!

It won't. If that is your expectation, you are setting yourself up for failure. Did the weight just jump on all at once?? Why would it just fall off? If you are not prepared to have some patience, that does not bode well for success.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Add a "1" to the amount of calories eaten and you'll probably have better results. Eat 1700-1800 and burn 400-500, this will leave you with a net calorie intake of 1200-1400 calories, which should leave you a sufficient calorie deficit to lose weight steadily.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Better question: Is this sustainable?

Answer: no.