1000 calories leftover... Every day

Options
2»

Replies

• melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Not to be a ****, but if you are doing strength training and cardio in the same session you may not be pushing yourself hard enough. I hate cardio though (jog a 5K once a week and call it good) haha. Lean protein and heavy lifting. That should do it.
  • Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    No wonder you have stuck, I personally think you need to eat much more. Your body is storing fat not losing it. Good luck x
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary suggestions could be more specific and useful. That being said, you really need to up your calories. You are killing your metabolism.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    you should be netting 1920 cals. by having so many calories left over you are creating a very large deficit which can then lead your body to burn muscle instead of fat. which you dont want as muscle is good, fat is not!

Exactly this.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    You are going to lose weight quickly. Unfortunately, a large percent of the weight you lose is going to be muscle, not fat.Once you get to you goal weight, you will still look fat and probably have a lot of loose skin to go with it.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I have just been reunited with MFP and remember why I loved it so much! When I first used it, I lost over 10kgs.
    I have been sitting on a plateau for about 1 year until a week ago where undecided to use it again.

Sorry dude but I don't get it. If you used MFP in the past and it worked then why don't you just go by its recommendations again?

What's with the leaving 1000 calorie a day business? It's not telling you to do that or is designed that way so...don't. Meet your goals as closely as possible with say a 5% margin for error either way to stop yourself going nuts. Job done.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    A five year old probably nets as many calories as you do. For Pete's sake, you're a grown man, you KNOW that netting that few calories isn't good for you. As others have said, with that low of an intake, your body will sacrifice muscle, the metabolic tissue, to save fat, making your metabolism lower and making it EASIER for you to GAIN WEIGHT in the future.

EAT. At a minimum, you need to net your BMR calories every day.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    EAT :huh:
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I am constantly between 800-1000 under my calorie allowance (left over).
    Is this healthy?

No.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    NET is usually around 700 calories. Today's example:

Goal: 1924
    Food: 1274
    Exercise: 580
    Net: 694
    Remaining: 1226

As a grown man eating 694 net cals is far too low. Follow the guildelines MFP has given you - eat 1924 PLUS your exercise cals.

In addition, you should eat a decent amount of protein and strength train to preserve muscle as you lose weight.

This.... you aren't losing because your body is hanging onto every single calorie you take in. Your body needs food just to survive... your heart, lungs, brain and every other body organ needs calories just to function. Anything you do lose, will be muscle not fat... start eating a lot more and maybe cut back on some exercise or change to all strength training. Please help your body be healthy.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    My current goal is 1440 Calories. I get at least 30 minutes of exercise a day. As a result I windup with anywhere from 1700-2000 calories in my daily calorie budget depending on how I exercise and for how long.

I never expend my calorie budget fully but I try to come within a hundred. Because I can't measure out every little exact thing that covers any estimation. If I'm over more than a hundred I have to start thinking about another snack.

I am currently set to lose a pound a week but I am so near my goal that it's working out to be 1 1/2 pounds every other week. I'm OK with that.

But seriously, I love eating back most of my exercise calories. I'm not going to starve myself on rabbit food to lose weight, that trick never works... permanently anyway..
  • krystinaolsen
    krystinaolsen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Everyone is right - you need to be eating more. Try nuts! And good fats (olive oil and avocado) to get in those extra good-for-your-body calories.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'm curious how long "every day" is? Have you been able to do this for say...30 days in a row? Or like 6 days in a row?