Anyone ever have fatty liver?

Options
I was having pain on my right side under my rib cage...I thought it was gallbladder issues...but nope...it was mild case of fatty liver
going on...

The weird thing is I have normal cholesterol levels though...

The dr. just asked me to eat more veggies and increase my exercise and that was it...

So, does it ever go away...or should I take some kind of supplement like milk thistle to help my liver process better...

I am insulin resistant....

Replies

• CocaDragonfly
    CocaDragonfly Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was having pain on my right side under my rib cage...I thought it was gallbladder issues...but nope...it was mild case of fatty liver
    going on...

The dr. just asked me to eat more veggies and increase my exercise and that was it...

So, does it ever go away...or should I take some kind of supplement like milk thistle to help my liver process better...

I am a recovering Alcoholic and even though I have been sober for quite a while now, I still suffer from liver issues. I was diagnosed with Fatty Liver/Borderline Cirrhosis with liver enlargement in 2008. Milk Thistle worked wonders for the pain and helped the healing process although I do have permanent damage. But I am no longer screaming and crying and in the ER from it. Best of luck to you! <3
  • ParanSkies
    Options
    I have a pretty healthy liver, but my dad has hepatitis (I can't remember if it's B or C) and I believe he was also diagnosed with a fatty liver. However, with the proper medication and with weight loss, his liver has become a lot healthier! Stress seems to be one of his triggers though, so make sure you stay fit and relaxed so your body can be healthy too :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    going on...

Most people with insulin resistance have normal cholesterol. Reducing weight will help not only with your liver but with your IR as well.
  • LJA1968
    LJA1968 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I have a fatty liver due to poor eating habits over the years. My doctor told me that I had better clean up my eating and lose weight to help reverse this or I would end up with cirohsis (not sure on spelling). I've been doing the best I can but know that even with diet change and weight loss, the results on my liver can take up to a year afterwards to see results. This summer coming, I will be having another ultrasound done to see if anything has reversed.
  • gravity357
    Options
    Now Foods Liver Detoxifier & Regenerator has helped my numbers with Liver function tests. It smells terrible but I do feel better when I take it.
  • kf5nd
    kf5nd Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Today the gastroenterologist said I had a normal-sized liver, and my liver enzymes were low, "in the teens"! But I still feel URQ discomfort, so I don't think I'm cured. I've only been on pravastatin for two years, it might take some more time for it and the antioxidants to work. The antioxidants are Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA), Vitamin E, Vitamin D, and DHA (an Omega-3 fish oil), and doctor-prescribed pravastatin.
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I had ( and probably have again) fatty liver, doctor put me on a 3 week opti fast diet to fix it fast. Of course I was instructed to keep up the less fat, more veggies and exercise ( I didn't exercise) Might take longer depending on how fatty the liver is. You can have fatty liver without any other medical problems with the liver. I did. Fat builds up in the liver and usually is of no consequence but in some ppl it can lead to the liver not functioning correctly and some ppl then develop scaring and with enough scaring can lead to the liver not functioning. Then of course is liver failure and transplant.

Not trying to scare you, most ppl don't have any complications from it, doctor says it is pretty common among overweight ppl. My liver shrunk back down enough for the doctor to compliment me and tell me to just keep up the healthy eating (which I didn't) and not to worry about it.

Don't worry, your new healthy eating and exercise will fix you right up.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options