Diet help please!

Options
Hi all i've been using MFP for a while and i'm having trouble having energy/feeling good and also losing fat. I'm 6 ft (1m83) and I weigh 180 lbs (82kg). I'm trying to get to +165lb or 74, 75kg before summer (should be easy) by cutting. I've calculated my TDEE which is around 2500 and i've been on and off cutting between 1800-2100. My diet is very strict during the week except for weekends I tend to go a bit easier on the counting (nothing too crazy, still make sure im under maintenance).

I just feel like it's going way too slow. I do feel like i look thinner but there still is the belly softness and smoothness which I want to get hard!

I run 3 times per week 5k and on off days I do bodyweight workout.

What I want to know is if this:

A Diet is healthy for me.
B If I'm doing anything wrong concerning fatloss!

Thanks!

Breakfast:
Whey shake 1 scoops 110kcal / 2 carb / 2 fat / 23 protein
Oatmeal 100 gr 257 kcal / 68 carb / 7 fat / 14 protein
Lunch:
Whey shake 2 scoops 220 kcal / 4 carb / 3 fat / 46 protein
Apple 68kcal /18 carb / 0 fat / 0 protein
3 Boiled eggs 204 kcal / 1 carb / 14 fat / 17 protein
Dinner:
Cottage cheese 3% 250 gr 188 kcal / 0 carb / 8 fat / 26 protein
Spiced sauce 45 gr 19 kcal / 2 carb / 1 fat / 1 protein
Red hot chili pepper 2 kcal / 0 / 0 / 0
Tomato 31 kcal / 7 carb / 0 / 1 protein
Rice 100 gr 356 kcal / 84 carb / 0 / 4 protein
Snacks:
Whey Shake 2 scoops 220 kcal / 4 carb / 3 fat / 46 protein
Almonds +-25 173 kcal / 6 carb / 15 fat / 6 protein

Replies

• wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    You don't have a lot to lose, so aim for .5-1 pounds a week. From that one days food....where are your fruits and veggies, real protein from meat, why so many shakes (have you read the label for ingredients?, many shakes have a lot of processed and unnecessary ingredients). I prefer to get my nutrients not shakes, not saying that 1 a day is bad, I just see the need for 3. Eat a bigger variety of food, don't below your BMR and eat back your exercise calories. Do more strength training to really help with muscle tone but be sure to take a rest day.
  • shukig0ld
    shukig0ld Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm drinking the shakes because I feel like it's a easy source for protein. I read that I need to get in a gram per lean body weight so that's why. It's also easy drinking shakes instead of buying/cooking meat. Does it really matter where I get the protein from?

What about just having the extra deficit I get from exercising and not eating it back? Won't that just make me lose the weight easier and faster? I'm kinda broke so that's why it's easy to stick with protein shakes but that's also why i'm doing bodyweight and not lifting weights cause I don't really have money for a gym atm..

Thanks for your reply and help
  • hastinbe
    hastinbe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what wahmax3 said. I'd stress to get more of your protein from foods. When I cut I stop taking whey cause at a restricted calorie intake I'd rather eat than trade 110-200 calories for only protein. You have to remember your body needs all kinds of nutrients, and you'll get that from food not a shake. Chicken breasts, pork chops, and eggs are prime protein sources when you have a limited budget.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    DEFINITELY eat some vegetables. Malnutrition isn't going to help you firm up your belly. Do you have a blender? You could add some kale or spinach to your protein shake (probably won't even notice the flavor change). And make sure you're using brown rice and whole oats (not the flavored kind). Protein shakes 3x per day sounds like a lot. Maybe try tofu, beans (like chickpeas) or some plain chicken instead for one of the meals? Add a fiber supplement (or mix some in with your shake). Then, be patient.
  • newsagegirl
    Options
    The shakes r high in carbs.
    Try low carb alternative. I've tried shake diet before and gained weight.
  • shukig0ld
    Options
    The shakes are actually very low in carbs. But I understand why it could be wrong as a substitute long term. I'll try and switch over to maybe chicken breast and eat more tomatoes and cucumbers for veggies. Fruits don't really fit in my diet but i'll eat an apple everyday and take a multivitamin too.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure the TDEE system works. Your biology is your own, so why go off some umbrella formula? It told me I'd be almost 165 lbs by now, eating what I'm eating. But I know it to be just about maintenance for me personally and im still 158. By the TDEE system, for a 155 guy eating 3200 calories and of which is 400g carbs, i should be obese in like 2 months. Which just goes to show, there is not miracle formula, only guidelines we can kind of use to get to know our bodies better.

So if you're not losing weight, maintain a larger deficit, or instead some more rigorous exercise..but I'd give it a week or two. Bodies are stubborn.
  • shukig0ld
    Options
    I'm not sure the TDEE system works. Your biology is your own, so why go off some umbrella formula? It told me I'd be almost 165 lbs by now, eating what I'm eating. But I know it to be just about maintenance for me personally and im still 158. By the TDEE system, for a 155 guy eating 3200 calories and of which is 400g carbs, i should be obese in like 2 months. Which just goes to show, there is not miracle formula, only guidelines we can kind of use to get to know our bodies better.

So if you're not losing weight, maintain a larger deficit, or instead some more rigorous exercise..but I'd give it a week or two. Bodies are stubborn.

I always read that it's best to go with a certain amount of calories and from there work out your tdee. Thing is I dont own a scale and I use one once a week/every two weeks at buddy's house. I remember when I was eating around 2400 kcals i was very slowly losing weight but i was also running around 2, 2.5 hours per week.