Dr H on the Biggest Loser

Options
My husband and I were watching last week's episode of Biggest Loser (not the newest one, we're behind) and Dr. H was talking to one of the contestants and said something that really stuck with me so I thought I'd share in case it motivates or clicks with anyone else:

If you had Lymphoma, wouldn't you find two hours of your day to get chemotheraphy?

WOW. What a way to think about it. He went on to say something to the effect of this contestant's obesity being more deadly/serious that a lot of forms of Lymphoma. Now I am in no way trying to minimize what people who are going through Lymphoma have to deal with, it was the two hours of treatment thing that stuck with me. If you had cancer or another serious illness, you would get your two hours of treatment to save your life. Obesity is just as deadly so get your treatment! WORK OUT! This definitely motivated me to run a little harder and a little longer and I hope it helps motivate you too! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Calantorntain
    Calantorntain Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Love it!

It reminds me of when people comment on how the bike commuting I do can be dangerous. I now sometimes reply, "yeah, but cycling deaths are far less common than heart disease."
  • JewelE77
    JewelE77 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Love it!

It reminds me of when people comment on how the bike commuting I do can be dangerous. I now sometimes reply, "yeah, but cycling deaths are far less common than heart disease."

That's a great way to look at it! :)
  • KelleyRob
    KelleyRob Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I saw that episode and that comment stuck with me also. Thanks for sharing!!! :flowerforyou:
  • sed1217
    sed1217 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Excellent point - thanks for sharing!
  • kg047
    kg047 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
  • MoonGypsyQ67
    MoonGypsyQ67 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I had the same reaction when I saw that a few weeks ago. It was just one of those moments when I was stunned into reality. It stuck with me too and thanks for sharing your thoughts. :smile:
  • jojo1410
    jojo1410 Posts: 151
    Options
    Like there are 1440 minutes in a day and people can't find 30 minutes to exercise????
  • jdim1093
    jdim1093 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    If I had Cancer, my health insurance would spare no expense and surround me with doctors and nurses to help me. If I broke my leg, my health insurance would pay for rehab therapy. If wanted marriage counseling, my health insurance will pay for unlimited sessions with a counselor (co-pay still applies). If I wanted to quit smoking, my health insurance will now spare no expense to help me quit.

I'm fat and my health insurance will give me ONE free doctor visit PER YEAR and a crappy discount at the YMCA. I think I can get a blood test free every 5 years, too...

I wish people would give weight loss more than just lip service. It's a freaking disease and I'm barely surviving it with no help from anyone (financially). Imagine if the medical insurance community treated weight loss as seriously as they do cancer...
  • jillsjourney
    jillsjourney Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    That statement really made an impact on me too!
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    If I had Cancer, my health insurance would spare no expense and surround me with doctors and nurses to help me. If I broke my leg, my health insurance would pay for rehab therapy. If wanted marriage counseling, my health insurance will pay for unlimited sessions with a counselor (co-pay still applies). If I wanted to quit smoking, my health insurance will now spare no expense to help me quit.

I'm fat and my health insurance will give me ONE free doctor visit PER YEAR and a crappy discount at the YMCA. I think I can get a blood test free every 5 years, too...

I wish people would give weight loss more than just lip service. It's a freaking disease and I'm barely surviving it with no help from anyone (financially). Imagine if the medical insurance community treated weight loss as seriously as they do cancer...

Walking and jogging are free. So are YouTube videos. Exercise doesn't always cost money; medicine does. That's the difference.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I didn't see the episode, but that's a really good point. Although, I would argue you don't have to exercise TWO hours per day. But I get the gist of what he's saying. :) That's awesome. I'm going to start thinking of it like medicine instead of just stress relief.
  • For_the_Last_Time
    For_the_Last_Time Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I saw that too. As much as I think the methods suck butt on that show, that stood out to be as well.
  • jdim1093
    jdim1093 Posts: 418 Member
    Options

Walking and jogging are free. So are YouTube videos. Exercise doesn't always cost money; medicine does. That's the difference.

Right, but walking and jogging require YOU to self-motivate. Driving to a chemo clinic requires nothing at all. You walk in and then they give you the medicine and support, etc. The only real parallel to that would be hiring a personal trainer and nutritionist. My point is that if you have an illness or disease that insurance pays for, you get customized personal hands-on support. Weight loss requires self-motivation unless you're rich.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Yes! I've used that analogy a few times already since that episode aired. It really hits home.
  • LynnieG85
    LynnieG85 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    That comment really made me think too! Thanks for starting this thread :) It's a very good point
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Agreed....you don't HAVE to belong to a gym to exercise, and eating healthy doesn't have to cost a lot either.

“Make Time For Your Health Today. And You'll Have Health For Your Time Tomorrow"
  • lmataloni
    lmataloni Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing - I missed that but it makes it so clear.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options

I think this attitude is starting to change. My health insurance has a few programs geared for those who are dealing with obesity that are free and that include nutritional counseling and discounts on exercise products/gyms. They didn't have it when I first started, but they do now.
  • Iceman420
    Iceman420 Posts: 195
    Options
    Wow, that doctor knows how to make a statement.
  • Built_Strong
    Built_Strong Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Biggest Loser did motivate me to exercise. I used to watch it and exercise during that show. Now I dont watch it...I spend my evenings at the gym instead.

As much as I dont like him, I do have to say ... Dr. H. is right. It doesnt take 8 hours of exercise to change your health...but find the time to improve your health every day.