Mashed cauliflower

Options
krislew
krislew Posts: 46 Member
Can someone help me how to make it? First of all, let me tell y'all that I have never eaten cauliflower in my life! But I'm trying new things. I bought some Steamfresh Cauliflower with garlic because I thought that would help with the flavor and enticing me to eat it!!

So where do I go from here? Just steam and then mash it? Or do I add milk like regular mashed potatoes.

Because I'm new to it, would it be best to maybe mix it in with regular mashed potatoes to get my feet wet with it? :tongue:

Can you tell I'm not a chef?

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    You could do anything you want with it. Steam it and mash it just like potatoes...maybe put some milk, garlic, green onions or chives in it.
  • uwhuskygirl
    uwhuskygirl Posts: 320
    Options
    Take a head of cauliflower, clean off all of the greens and chop it into small pieces (this makes hand mashing a lot easier.)

Throw it in a pot of veggie broth and boil till tender. (I boil it in the broth for extra flavor.) Drain the cauliflower, but reserve a little bit in case you need it to smooth out the mash.

Get 1 package dry ranch mix and mash that together with the cauliflower pieces until smooth. If it's a little too dry then use some of the reserved broth to make it "stick" together more.

It's really good as is or you can serve with gravy.
  • JimROCDS
    JimROCDS Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I make a reduced calorie/carb mashed potato mix with cauliflower.

I just take 1lb of Yukon potatoes, about 3.

1/2 head of cauliflower cut up into florets.

Peel and boil potatoes until tender

Steam the cauliflower until very tender.

Using a hand blender or food processor, pure the cauliflower

Mash the potatoes with your choice of either cream(I prefer cream), whole mike or 2% milk, butter(I prefer butter) or margarine.

Mix the cauliflower with the potatoes. You'll never know the difference from just mashed potatoes.

Jim
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Here's what my wife and I do. These taste AWESOME.

cauliflower florettes (of course) boiled or steamed (however you like) until tender.
    about 1/4 cup of fat free sour cream
    garlic powder
    low fat parmigiana cheese (to taste)
    optional - bacon bits (give it a bit of a smokey flavor, without adding much in the way of calories)

We use a hand mixer (one of the pampered chef stand up single blade mixers works awesome for this)

they come out nice, creamy, and delicious. and still only about 145 calories per 1 cup serving.
  • amk44
    amk44 Posts: 159
    Options
    For me, I LOVE cauliflower - just steamed plain or with a little cheese melted on it. My hubby likes it with American cheese melted on it. (I even enjoy the steamed cauliflower cold as a lowcal snack.)

I'm impressed to see that you are venturing out and trying something new... I think it's something that is very beneficial if we are indeed trying to "change our lifestyle". One of the foods I had never tasted before was jicama, and I've now become addicted to it... hard for me to make a salad these days without throwing some of it in... LOL :laugh:

Today I was looking for juava - had no idea what it looked like until I found some juava nectar and they had a picture on the front of the box. (I figured out that what I THOUGHT was a guava was actually a papaya. :happy: ) I read that guava is one of the most nutritional foods, but (sorry for my ignorance) I have no idea where to find it "fresh" - or even what season to look for it...:embarassed: Anyway, the "hunt" for it makes dieting interesting for me... :wink:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    hm, Thanks for the ideas gang, I'll have to try this, I want to branch out more:wink:
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    If you just mash it as a fork and keep it slightly lumpy it can also be used as a rice substitiute :) goes really well with black bean stir fry etc. Cause then the sauce from the stir fry goes all over it, very tasty.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    You can make a soup out of it as well. I like cooking it in chicken stock with fresh garlic, onions, a dash of salt, and some lowfat cheese. You mash it up once its cooked to a very soft stage, and it makes a semi thick soup. Very yummy!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    bump
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Here's what my wife and I do. These taste AWESOME.

cauliflower florettes (of course) boiled or steamed (however you like) until tender.
    about 1/4 cup of fat free sour cream
    garlic powder
    low fat parmigiana cheese (to taste)
    optional - bacon bits (give it a bit of a smokey flavor, without adding much in the way of calories)

We use a hand mixer (one of the pampered chef stand up single blade mixers works awesome for this)

they come out nice, creamy, and delicious. and still only about 145 calories per 1 cup serving.

That sounds AMAZING! I never once in my life concidered MASHING CAULIFLOWER! I will not eat it! my bf loves it, raw and plain .. This recipe right here will deff get me eating the stuff! What are the nutrients involved in Coliflour (I know I could google it! lol)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    cauliflower has a decent amount of protein (2 g) for a high vitamin veggie. It also has 3 grams of fiber per serving, which is right in the middle of the pack as far as veggies go, so good stuff there.

but the main benefits of cauliflower (it's low carb, about 5 grams per serving) is it's vitamin c (about 50 to 75% of daily needs for most people). Here is a list of the micro nutrients in cauliflower, it's quite impressive for a white veggie.

Calcium: 21 mg

Iron: 0.47 mg

Magnesium: 13 mg

Phosphorus: 40 mg

Potassium: 192 mg

Sodium: 15 mg

Zinc: 0.026

Vitamin C: 56.4 mg

Thiamin: 0.051 mg

Riboflavin: 0.065 mg

Niacin: 0.470 mg

Pantothenic Acid: 0.445 mg

Vitamin B6: 0.142 mg

Vitamin B12: 0 mcg

Folate: 36 mcg

Vitamin A: 99 IU

Vitamin E: 0.03 mg

Vitamin K: 12.9 mcg

Phytonutrients (anti-oxidant properties):
    beta Carotene: 60 mcg

Lutein and Zeaxanthin: 27 mcg
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    bump
  • Tami22
    Tami22 Posts: 56
    Options
    BUMP!! YUM...
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    bump
  • iguanaliz
    iguanaliz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The main thing if you're using the frozen Bird's Eye or other brand is to drain it after you cook it, unless you like your mashed potatoes on the runny side.

Another thing you can do is take a head (?) of fresh cauliflower and grate it, either with a hand grater or, if you're lazy like me, the grating blade on your food processor. Then "fry" it in a non-stick skillet with some butter or olive oil no stick spray. If you have the calories to spare, a little oil or butter is also good, but not too much as it will absorb every bit. It comes out like fried rice. Add any seasonings you want because it will soak up all the flavors.

Must go add cauliflower to my shopping list!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Bump! Have been looking for "the one" mashed cauliflower recipe...must try some listed! :flowerforyou:
  • xtina11179
    xtina11179 Posts: 352
    Options
    Bump! :happy:

My boyfriend is THE WORST about eating veggies! The only thing he eats is corn, I kid you not! He LOVES mashed potatoes though, I am definitely going to have to try some of these to get him to eat at least one other one! Thanks everyone!
  • Kwilliams75
    Kwilliams75 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Roasted cauliflower, my absolute favorite.