NSV at the doctor, plus some pics

Options
This morning I went to the doctor and they took my blood pressure, it's the first time in more than 100 pounds that I've had that done. It was dangerously high before, and one of the things that finally pushed me onto the weight loss train. Anyways, today it was normal! OMG! I didn't even have normal blood pressure when I was 12, I was fighting it even then! Twice the doctor said I'm "young and healthy" and my mind just reels. I'm not done yet, but I wanted to lose weight for my health and I think I've added some years to my life. Hooray!

Here's a pic:
ZY4T0r1.jpg
ak1Es17.jpg

Keep on trucking yall, you can do it!

Replies

• CurveAppeal86
    CurveAppeal86 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous! That's an excellent NSV!
  • Poetry_In_Pics
    Options
    You look beautiful! Great job & congrats!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    WOW, you look amazing! Congrats on your NSV
  • kanncm
    kanncm Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful and you look gorgeous!!
  • connie_messina
    connie_messina Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    wow! u look amazing! what an inspiration!!
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You look wonderful and happy! Can you tell us a little about how you did it? How long did it take?
  • Zita_Jenn
    Zita_Jenn Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Holy!!! You look amazing girl!!! Great Job!!!
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    You look awesome. Well done for regaining your health!
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Wow! You look fabulous!

Congrats on the health-related NSV. That's my favorite kind.
  • GettingFitToLIVE
    Options
    Absolutely fantastic! Congrats to you. Be proud.
  • shellbatronic
    Options
    Congratulations! You look wonderful and happy! Can you tell us a little about how you did it? How long did it take?

Thanks! I started in earnest July 1, 2011. I was diagnosed as insulin resistant and heading straight into diabetes, and as such had a very hard time losing weight. I finally corralled a doctor and a nutritionist and they set me up with a very very low carb eating plan, very small portions, and monitored my vitamins to make sure I had everything. There were milkshakes. Blah! But that's untenable, you can't live like that. It helped me shake enough weight to be able to start exercising though. I completely changed how I ate. I try to avoid processed foods completely, although I'm not perfect. I try to only eat real, whole foods. I cook almost everything I eat myself, so I know what's in it. I am very much still into food, but I am far pickier. I used to eat a whole large pizza, plus wings, plus breadsticks. I would eat and entire chinese entree, plus an appetizer, plus soup. No problemo.

Anyways, I tried to relearn portion sizes. I started weighing everything, which I still do but mostly with meat and cheese because they get away from me so fast. The biggest difference is the amount of carbs I eat. When I was insulin resistant I would eat heaps of rice, 3/4 a pound of white pasta at a time, tons of bread. I just simply cannot do that anymore. I treat refined carbs almost like liquor now.. maybe on a special occasion, very rarely, and with the knowledge that I will fully regret it in the morning. :P

I started exercising as much as I could, but at 330-340 I would hurt myself whenever I tried, it would demotivate me, I'd get depressed and quit. Over and over and over. I couldn't keep up with anyone. I tried to "run" a 5k, made it 30 feet, started walking, and then got passed by the cop car that follows the runners at the end. I started doing water aerobics, yoga, and the recumbent bike. I kept like that for maybe 4 months, then I hired a trainer who worked with me doing intervals of cardio and strength. The weight continued to come off, and I got stronger. As I got stronger, he challenged me more. Last July, one year later from my "start" and about 70 pounds down, I did a 5K obstacle course mud run thing. I fell in love with it, and have set a goal that this year I will complete a 12 mile Tough Mudder. I have absolutely fallen in love with exercising, just because I can DO stuff now. I weight less now than I did in 7th grade, my entire life I was "the fat girl" and always, always, at the back of the pack. Now I can physically do so much I couldn't before that it continues to amaze me.

As far as food goes, I don't strive for perfection anymore. I am not perfect. But I don't beat myself up over it anymore. I used to be so sad, all the time. I hated myself, was so disappointed in myself and my life, and now I aim to not be my own enemy. I keep moving, I think of my food as something that either helps me towards my goal or it doesn't, but I will continue to enjoy fine dining and some snacks, just in small quantities. I grew up in the 80s, when everything was about "dieting", and I proved to myself countless times, since the age of 8, that diets don't work. It has to be simply "the way it is." A lifestyle :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!