Protein Only?

Options
If I consume just protein with dairy here and there, veggies and fruits, nuts etc. will there be quicker weight loss (with excercise)? I've heard of people consuming only protein, any meat (mostly white meat), fruits, veggies, nuts..no carbs like bread, rice, cake, flour.. Any advice? Thanks :smile:

Replies

• BiohazrD
    Options
    Low carb diets work, but not for everyone. They can make you feel kinda tired and you'll lose a lot of water weight.

Protein is good, but no need to make it your only food. Do a high protein diet with some healthy fats and whole grains.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Your body needs a certain amount of glucose every day to live and make energy. Carbohydrates are your body's best way to get glucose. Complex carbohydrates are one great way to get glucose.

There's glucose in milk, by the way, in the form of lactose, a simple sugar. Me, personally, if I was worried about carbs, I'd give up milk before 100% whole grain wheat bread. (Not that you should give up either.)
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on the quickest weight loss. Focus on sustainable weight loss. Can you eat only that stuff forever?
  • BiohazrD
    Options
    Your body needs a certain amount of glucose every day to live and make energy. Carbohydrates are your body's best way to get glucose. Complex carbohydrates are one great way to get glucose.

There's glucose in milk, by the way, in the form of lactose, a simple sugar. Me, personally, if I was worried about carbs, I'd give up milk before 100% whole grain wheat bread.

Milk is very good for you. Don't do this please. Milk has lots of healthy hat, lots of vitamins, lots of protein, and lots of calcium. Get lactose free milk if you're worried about carbs/sugar.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on the quickest weight loss. Focus on sustainable weight loss. Can you eat only that stuff forever?

this!!! all day, every day!!!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I eat like this--check out http://www.marksdailyapple.com/ for more info if you're interested.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to set up a reasonable calorie and macro intake for your goals, and hit those targets eating foods you enjoy.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options

There's glucose in milk, by the way, in the form of lactose, a simple sugar. Me, personally, if I was worried about carbs, I'd give up milk before 100% whole grain wheat bread. (Not that you should give up either.)

Your liver can produce glucose from protein so it isn't necessary to consume any carbohydrate if you don't want to! :)
  • sexelby
    sexelby Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I see a dietician regularly, and in females a low carb diet is condoned. Men have the ability to almost 'make' carbohydrates in the body, where as women can't. And women lacking in carbohydrates notice an incredible change in mood and irritability.

I am on a high protein diet, with an average amount of 'good' carbs (like brown rice and whole grains), and low fat.
    It's working pretty well for me. Combining this and exercise I have lost 15lbs this year alone.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with carbs, unless you have some sort of allergy or intolerance. Only start eating this way if you plan on continuing to eat this way for the rest of your life. If you don't, you'll gain weight back when you add carbs back into your diet.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to set up a reasonable calorie and macro intake for your goals, and hit those targets eating foods you enjoy.

now hold on just a minute!!!!!
  • duril64
    duril64 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You have the idea though. Just cut out all of the the processed crap and the empty carbs like refined sugar, breads and pastas unless whole grain\whole wheat. It's actually pretty simple, but it takes some willpower and discipline to get started and be consistent.

Combine good eating with regular exercise 5 to 6 times a week (30 min to an hour, mix it up with different forms of cardio and resistance training). Once you start eating clean regularly, and if your daily calorie intake is less than your daily calorie burn, you'll start to burn fat.

You don't want to focus too much on how much you weigh. Record your weight, but focus more on how much bodyfat you have, and measure your critical areas like your waist (around the belly button) hips (around the butt) and arms. To get your bodyfat, get a good handheld device, BF weight scale or use calipers. I just use a BF weight scale. Even though it's not as accurate as calipers, if you check your BF at the same time of the morning before you get going, you'll have a baseline to work with and a good idea of your progress.

As you lose BF, gauge how much to lose by looking in the mirror. Do you like how you look yet? If you had a muffin top and it's not gone yet and you want it gone, keep going! Do the clothes you really want to wear fit comfortably yet? If not, keep going!

Once you get there, you'll want to up your calories a bit (no crap!) to stop the BF loss.

Lastly, maintenance can be the hardest part. Most people can lose weight over a few months, but then they hit their goals and start to slack off. Everyone slips and slides now and then, but if you have really made a lifestyle change and cut out the processed crap and refined crap for good, and exercise, you'll keep the BF off.

Good luck!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I see a dietician regularly, and in females a low carb diet is condoned. Men have the ability to almost 'make' carbohydrates in the body, where as women can't. And women lacking in carbohydrates notice an incredible change in mood and irritability.

I am on a high protein diet, with an average amount of 'good' carbs (like brown rice and whole grains), and low fat.
    It's working pretty well for me. Combining this and exercise I have lost 15lbs this year alone.

Gluconeogenesis isn't limited to males.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options

Gluconeogenesis isn't limited to males.
    I was about to say the same thing. The only reason I reduce carbs (down to 125 to 160 grams) during a cut is to notice visual changes in my body fat percentage more easily since less water is between the skin and underlying muscle tissue.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Your liver can produce glucose from protein so it isn't necessary to consume any carbohydrate if you don't want to! :)

It _can_ do it, true. Creates extra waste chemicals in the blood though, making your kidneys and liver work harder to eliminate those. So you need more water. Very low blood glucose is bad for the brain, too, for SOME people. Or so I hear. And getting your glucose from protein is much more expensive than from carbohydrate sources, in my opinion.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating at a calorie deficit. If you would like to cut things out from your diet, I'd do it if you have a specific reason (simple carbs can cause blood sugar crashes in diabetics and hypoglycemics, some people don't have will power to eat just five chips, etc). Limiting certain types of foods can help people, but if it's not something you don't mind giving up for the rest of your life, don't bother.
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I do higher protein and reduced carb, but I'm pretty moderate. But, by all means, limit processed junk and simple sugars, and go ahead and replace it with lean protein. Make sure you don't eliminate all fats though, because you do need some.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Very low blood glucose is bad for the brain, too, for SOME people. Or so I hear.

While it's true that low blood glucose is bad for the brain, given a properly functioning endocrine system (insulin and glucagon) - the amount of dietary glucose you eat has no effect on that.

There are multiple redundant pathways that the body can store, convert, or generate glucose for the body to use, when there is no immediate source of carbohydrates. If this wasn't true, we'd all be dead a few hours after our meal digested, because our brain would shut down.
    And getting your glucose from protein is much more expensive than from carbohydrate sources, in my opinion.

Sometimes the cost is worth it.
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Have fun going to the toilet
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    bump