Healthy homemade Pizza Recipes

Options
Does anyone have any good homemade pizza recipes or know of a good place to find some? At most, one night a week we have pizza due to running kids to sports and this and that. But frozen and take-out are so high in calories and other stuff. Just wondering if anyone has come across some good ones?

Replies

• Tonya0605
    Tonya0605 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    bump.....I want an easy crust recipe
  • nmjellison
    nmjellison Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    while not exactly homemade (at least not by you) the Papa Murphy's DeLite pizzas are pretty yummy and good for you. Their slices hover about 200 calories each, which is Way lower than most places and the family size is quite large. If you have one near you - definalty work checking out for those rushed nights where you just need something easy!
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any good homemade pizza recipes or know of a good place to find some? At most, one night a week we have pizza due to running kids to sports and this and that. But frozen and take-out are so high in calories and other stuff. Just wondering if anyone has come across some good ones?
    Not yet, I am going to try and create one ( for 1 person) want to see answers here for ideas :flowerforyou:
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You can actually make a pizza crust with mashed up cauliflower!! Also another very different option, flatten 1 boneless, skinless chickn breast and cook completely in the oven, then add your tomato paste, vegetables, little bit of cheese. The guy from Fit 2 Fat 2 Fit has videos on youtube for that (amongst other amaaazing recipes!) . You can even cook the chicken and get the kids to make their own pizzas.
  • Bbwnomore2
    Bbwnomore2 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Just love thin crust, so i use the sandwich thins or the flatout bread
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I have one that I use.

1 flat out wrap light(i like the tomato kind)
    1 can of no salt diced tomatoes (whizzed in the blender with a bit of hot sauce and some italian seasoning)
    1/3 c of kroger fat free mozzarella (any brand except piggly wigly seems to work)
    9 turkey pepperoni slices.

Put in the oven at 400F for 15 or until the bottom is til crispy
  • sclarktiw
    sclarktiw Posts: 217
    Options
    What I use to do was just get a basic cheese thin crust pizza and I add all my own toppings and then lightly sprinkle some schreded cheese on it...

Then I actually went to buying the frozen crust, adding my own pizza sauce and my own toppings with NO CHEESE.

And as a side note, I dont put any meats, just lots of veggies (tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, pineapple, green olives and hot peppers), and they are damn tasty....
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    My wife makes her own dough in a mixer and then adds a very thin coating of olive oil and sauce and cheese to taste.
  • Ascalzo13
    Options
    You can actually make a pizza crust with mashed up cauliflower!! Also another very different option, flatten 1 boneless, skinless chickn breast and cook completely in the oven, then add your tomato paste, vegetables, little bit of cheese. The guy from Fit 2 Fat 2 Fit has videos on youtube for that (amongst other amaaazing recipes!) . You can even cook the chicken and get the kids to make their own pizzas.

I'll have to check out..Thx
  • OzarkMountainMan
    Options
    bump.....I want an easy crust recipe

You might like this one. http://www.food.com/recipe/low-calorie-low-fat-thin-pizza-crust-365430

It calls for a bread machine to do the work but can be easily done by hand.
  • Ascalzo13
    Options
    Lot of good ideas so far....can't wait to try some:happy:
  • Hummina
    Hummina Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    try this. it's no replacement for real pizza, but its real low cal.

1/2cup or whole wheat pastry flour (regular flour will probably work, but i haven't tried it).
    3/4cup of liquid eggs like egg beaters
    1tsp of baking powder

mix it all up into a batter and pour it into a well PAM'ed pizza pan and spread it out to get the desired size. i believe it makes a thickish 10" pizza crust.

bake it at 350* until it gets solid.

top it with whatever and put it back in the oven until the topping are done to your liking.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/amazing-whole-wheat-pizza-crust/

I only use whole wheat, even though the recipe calls for about half all purpose. Makes two thin dough pizzas that will fit the average pizza pan in stores.

For toppings, I usually spread usually spread laughing cow cheese wedges, then use Classico spaghetti sauce. On top of that olives, marinated artichokes, mushrooms, sometimes spinach, sometimes turkey pepperoni. I am pretty generous with the mozzarella, but that is a place you could save some calories, if you need to. I would just rather pile it on and give up a snack.

Even easier, but not homemade, nor as healthy, I love lean cuisine pizzas.
  • mkkloos
    mkkloos Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My local grocery store has pretty good fresh bagged pizza dough (NOT the kind that pops out of the tube). Yours might too. Heat oven to 400 then roll, stretch, and flatten it nice and thin on a big floured surface. Spread with a little oil and crushed garlic and then top with whatever veggies and cheese are in the fridge. My favorite is spinach, tomatoes and goat cheese with lots of black pepper. Whole process takes less than 30 min including the baking and I usually get it under 400 cal for one quarter of the pizza.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I just use a Toufayan Whole Wheat Pita as a base crust and add an assortment of toppings. They make a tasty, individual-sized pizza and if you're making pizza for a group you can make them all different and mix & match. I keep them in the freezer and have them ready when I want one for a meal with a salad anytime.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

What is unhealthy about regular pizzas?

And if you are eating cauliflower as a crust and calling it a pizza, it's more an abomination then a pizza
  • bsmithmia
    bsmithmia Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!
  • mychellelynne
    mychellelynne Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    We have been testing out some frozen crusts at our house. Italcrust (we bought it at Walmart) was very, very good. It was 340 calories for 1/2 of the pizza crust. We add a little sauce and limited cheese and were able to get 1/2 pizza for about 400 calories.

The second was Mama Mary's Whole Wheat Thin Crust. It was about 270 calories for 1/2 the pizza crust. I would say this one was very thin and not as tasty.

I am trying the cauliflower pizza crust this weekend and have heard it is great.
  • MrsBHobbs
    Options
    We make ours with
    english muffin
    pizza sauce
    mozarella
    turkey pepperoni
    we make whatever toppings the kids wants and the adults as low cal as possible.The english muffin makes a nice crust.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    This is not for a family, it's pizza for one.

Get some Indian roti, which are thin whole wheat flatbreads, kind of puffy and light. Keep string cheese on hand (portion control!) Spread a roti with tomato paste, as much or as little as you like. Sprinkle on garlic powder, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Grate ONE stick of string cheese and sprinkle on the roti. Toast in a toaster over. This is surprisingly filling and settles your pizza cravings.