Protein Bars Supplement???

Options
Back in October I won a contest on Map My Run and received a case of Pure Protein bars. Well, I got home last night to three (yes three) huge boxes from them. They each contained about 6 boxes of 12 boxes of Pure Protein bars inside....I'd say probably a years worth of bars. Anyway, does anyone out there use these as a supplement, if so, in what way? They aren't horrible in calories, but to add them as a snack it would be a larger calorie snack. The smallest calorie is 160 and something like 18 grams of protein. Please advise as to how and when I should incorporate these. Breakfast? Pre-workout? Post-workout? Snack? Meal replacement?

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Post the entirety of the nutritional facts for best advice.

18g of protein means 60 calories from that bar is from protein... leaving 120 calories from sugar and fat.

Most protein shakes are 120 calories with 24g of protein, meaning 96 calories of protein and 24 calories between sugar and fat. Vastly superior protein source.

Congratulations on winning by the way! I by no means want to put your reward down or your hard work. But I personally find most protein bars to be nothing more than candy bars.
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    Thank you. I didn't know if there was anyone that actually used them as part of their plan. I just don't want to use them and then have it throw everything off. :smile:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I use them. But, I'm sure my goals and Caloric/macro goals are probably quite a bit different from yours, as I am actually trying to slowly gain muscle. I use them (one today, in fact) as a mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack. The only macro I really worry about is protein - whereever carbs and fats end up is fine. As such, I find I don't have many problems fitting them into my 2000+ Calorie goal and they help with my protein intake.

Just like everything else, play around with the other foods you're eating and see if you can fit the bars into your goals. Who knows? You might not even like them, so it may not matter.
  • sedavis62
    Options
    I use the Luna bars for my late afternoon long aerobic workout. I cut them in half and eat a half just after my workout. It staves off the shakes I usually get from low blood sugar and hold me until dinner. I also eat a half a bar sometimes for a quick breakfast (along with fruit). They keep well, taste great and hold me longer than other snacks.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Back in October I won a contest on Map My Run and received a case of Pure Protein bars. Well, I got home last night to three (yes three) huge boxes from them. They each contained about 6 boxes of 12 boxes of Pure Protein bars inside....I'd say probably a years worth of bars. Anyway, does anyone out there use these as a supplement, if so, in what way? They aren't horrible in calories, but to add them as a snack it would be a larger calorie snack. The smallest calorie is 160 and something like 18 grams of protein. Please advise as to how and when I should incorporate these. Breakfast? Pre-workout? Post-workout? Snack? Meal replacement?

Do not eat them if you care about your health, they are highly processed and processed foods are terrible for your health
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I'll take one box please.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I love the Pure Protein bars. I use them as an afternoon snack sometimes, if it looks like my day might be a little light on protein.
  • jeanine89
    jeanine89 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I use them for breakfast sometimes. Just a bar and a coffee when I have no time in the morning. I also used them as meal replacements for lunch when I'm at college and the $$$ price of food without a meal plan wants to make me cry.