MyFitnessPal destroys metabolisms?

Options
124»

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I think most commercial weight loss programs give too few calories. This way you will lose fast, rave about their product to your friends, quit the program after a couple months, regain the weight, rejoin the program and spend more money. Repeat indefinitely or until you finally learn how healthy fat loss really happens.

Rapid loss sells. MFP is a product, just like all the rest, but when you learn to customize to your needs it can become a great tool.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    MFP does math. It takes the numbers you give it and spits out something based on those. If you have 5 lbs to lose and say you want to do it at 2 lbs/week it does the math and gives you 1200 because it won't go lower than that which is actually a plus for this site because most of the other ones don't even put that low end restriction on.

I know our society has become a needy group that want everything handed to them without doing any work but at some point, especially since we're dealing with a health issue, you have to take responsibility and kick in some brain cells of your own.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Funny. I thought MFP recommendations were too high.
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    MFP is a tool to track your food and exercise. It is up to you to educate yourself on what works for you. To learn about your BMR, TDEE, etc. MFP doesn't tell you that you absolutely have to follow a program. Also, MFP gives you your calorie goals and expects you to eat your exercise calories back.

If you decide to lie about your activity level because you think sedentary will get you there faster - that was your decision.

If you put a 2lb loss when trying to lose 12.5lbs even though you should be at 0.5lbs loss/week..that's your decision.

Best advice - educate yourself. There are ton of resources you can search online for free.

If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Or for a different version to figure out your TDEE, as well as some great advice...check out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833500-what-do-i-do-common-sense-cliff-notes

Check this out for some tips too...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/844040-raspberry-ketones-for-the-rest-of-us

Also, if you are worried about the calorie intake, I also suggest you read this thread that has numerous people who met their goals and are maintaining. Some for years and they also provide their calorie intake and how often they work out.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816542-let-s-hear-it-for-maintainenance

For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group: (Read all the stickies. It's great information to know.)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

For info about your macros (proteins/fats/carbs) - check out this link. It will give you the formula to figure out your #s and also how to custom change them in MFP:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

For those eating below their BMR (which I think 1200 is below your BMR to be honest), not going to preach at you, but here's something you might want to look at:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/81391-starvation-mode-myths-and-science
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/859495-if-only-i-had-known?page=1#posts-12919931

Yes, this is can all be overwhelming and complicated , but you are more than welcome to ask questions on the post.
    One of the things that I have found that has been one of the best methods for me to get fit is to understand fitness. To understand where all these figures, etc come from.

The good thing is once you get the hang of it - it is something you'll be aware of constantly and you'll get a better understanding about your eating habits.

So I HIGHLY suggest making the effort to take every chance to educate yourself. Even if you don't end up going with any of these methods, calculations, etc - at least you understand what they are, where others are coming from, and maybe they will still be able to help you figure out what is best for you.

Thank you for putting all these links in one place. More people need to read/understand this information. :flowerforyou:
  • oshika789
    oshika789 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's not only about the number of calories, it's about the nutritional value of those calories. I could eat my total days worth of calories in a single fast food meal and be hungry a few hours later... or I can have oatmeal and fruit for breakfast, a veggie loaded salad with grilled chicken and low cal dressing for lunch, and baked fish with rice and steamed veggies for dinner, and still have calories left over for some healthy snacks as needed (or even a small "treat"), all within 1200 - 1500 calories (depending on portion sizes, snack choices, etc). The options are endless. And don't forget to drink your water! I've read that you can think you're hungry when you actually need to hydrate.

It's not about depriving or starving yourself, it's about making smart, healthy choices to make the most of the calories you're consuming. And for me, it also helps me avoid mindless or emotional eating. Before I kept a food log I would think I ate healthy, but didn't realize how much I was eating when I was bored or stressed or upset. Or how much bigger my portion sizes were when I guessed instead of measured. I also had to change my mindset that "healthy" doesn't mean "diet". This isn't a temporary way of eating, it's how people should eat most of the time. Nasty fast food, over processed junk, sugar and fat laden globs... this is the stuff people think is "normal" food... it's nothing but junk! Lean protien, fruits and veggies, whole grains... these aren't diet foods, they're REAL food! The more I eat real food, the less temping the junk is (and it doesn't taste nearly as good when I am tempted to eat it).

That's my take on this site anyway... it's a great way to help keep you on track, but it's not perfect and shouldn't be set in stone. And I agree with others to educate yourself and find what works for YOU. It sounds like you're on the right path though, good luck!
  • chelol
    chelol Posts: 1
    Options
    No. They are fine. 1200 is the MINIMUM required for a human being to survive with all systems functioning at the lowest level to 'survive'.
    I'm also a person who has been known to eat less than 200 calories a day for a couple of days at a time (I'd be so busy I'd forget to eat and after a while of doing this your body loses 'hunger pains') and I was always in good health.
    Each person is different.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Then adjust them to your liking. Those are just a suggestion. Go to My Home - Goals - Change Goals - Custom. Problem solved. You gotta figure out what the right calories are on your own.

This.

MFP is a suggested calorie goal to get you started, I think.
    I have found the TDEE -10-20% to be good for weight loss.
  • 1shepherd
    Options
    Guys - simple solution to low calorie allowance - try Spin or RPM at the gym - 45 minute class uses between 600 and 800 calories! I think the best way to lose weight and improve health is to change eating habit and exercise at the same time. Good fun as well!
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    wheeeeee.
    Seriously all these threads like this. It's the same thing. Over and over. and over.

800 is the minum to breath and exist.
    2000 for sustaining (females)- and we're talking networth (if you workout).
    1200-1500 for weight loss (networth).
    If you need more, and still losing weight- cool. It's your body. The MFP formula is a generic one that fits the majority, not the minority.
  • littlekat1
    littlekat1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My fitness pal had me at 1700+...it was my doctor who told me to reduce it by another 200 calories and not go above 1500. While I do try to stick to my calorie limits, if I feel the need to eat more I do.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    My fitness pal had me at 1700+...it was my doctor who told me to reduce it by another 200 calories and not go above 1500. While I do try to stick to my calorie limits, if I feel the need to eat more I do.

Well, if your doctor recommended that, he must have a good reason (I hope). If you are unsure, then maybe seek out a 2nd opinion or/and talk to a nutritionist. The only time I'll say eating below your BMR is okay is if there is a medical reason for it - that your doctor approved it and is supervising it. But just like with any diagnosis/medical advisement - if you feel it is incorrect or you are uncomfortable..you need to seek a 2nd opinion.
  • sjj0223
    sjj0223 Posts: 26
    Options
    You can adjust the calories if you stay hungry but make sure to workout a little extra for those added calories.
  • mfcmech
    Options
    I have to agree with Readyto rock206 and several others. I have seen, tried almost every kind of diet out there. MFP gives you alot of info other than just restricting your calorie intake. If you don't like being limited then adjust it. But most diets start at 1200 calories then eventually add more. So depending on what you want to achieve that's where you start. Plus you can track you exercise plan along with your diet. And also how many carbs, fats, proteins you should eat each day, and how many you actually do consume. So quit worrying about the caloric intake and use the as a tool. if you are suppose to resrtict your calorie intake and are still hungry....try eating salads and veggies along with your entrees. They will help to fill you up.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Ok, we seriously need some "like" buttons on here!!! Lol. It drives me crazy! I keep wanting to "like" comments.....but no button! lol:cry: I do love the smileys though! :tongue:
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    It's not only about the number of calories, it's about the nutritional value of those calories. I could eat my total days worth of calories in a single fast food meal and be hungry a few hours later... or I can have oatmeal and fruit for breakfast, a veggie loaded salad with grilled chicken and low cal dressing for lunch, and baked fish with rice and steamed veggies for dinner, and still have calories left over for some healthy snacks as needed (or even a small "treat"), all within 1200 - 1500 calories (depending on portion sizes, snack choices, etc). The options are endless. And don't forget to drink your water! I've read that you can think you're hungry when you actually need to hydrate.

It's not about depriving or starving yourself, it's about making smart, healthy choices to make the most of the calories you're consuming. And for me, it also helps me avoid mindless or emotional eating. Before I kept a food log I would think I ate healthy, but didn't realize how much I was eating when I was bored or stressed or upset. Or how much bigger my portion sizes were when I guessed instead of measured. I also had to change my mindset that "healthy" doesn't mean "diet". This isn't a temporary way of eating, it's how people should eat most of the time. Nasty fast food, over processed junk, sugar and fat laden globs... this is the stuff people think is "normal" food... it's nothing but junk! Lean protien, fruits and veggies, whole grains... these aren't diet foods, they're REAL food! The more I eat real food, the less temping the junk is (and it doesn't taste nearly as good when I am tempted to eat it).

That's my take on this site anyway... it's a great way to help keep you on track, but it's not perfect and shouldn't be set in stone. And I agree with others to educate yourself and find what works for YOU. It sounds like you're on the right path though, good luck!

Well said.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Obviously, I haven't figured out how to "Quote" and "reply."