HCG shots safe?

Options
My friend is going to start HCG injections in March. I told her about MFP and how successful a tool it can be for weight loss. She thinks because she is over 40 that her hormones are causing her to retain fat that hcg shots are the way to go
This is a program through a medical clinic. Does anyone know if this is safe and does it work?

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    No.

/thread
  • alliepee11
    Options
    it's not something I would recommend. the super low cal diet that accompanies it has to wreak havoc on your metabolism.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    No, they aren't safe. My husband's whole family (about 12 people) have done this, trust me that it's not worth it. PM me if you'd like more details.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    This is a program through a medical clinic.

lol
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Can't testify if they're safe or not, but I can tell you they're not a long-term solution. A couple of my in-laws have gone that route and initially lost weight, but rebounded back to their starting weight rapidly and ultimately gained significantly more than they started with.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    i wish people would stop seeking a "get thin quick" cure for being overweight.

alot of scammers and schemers are getting filthy rich because so many people are uninformed about and/or unwilling to just do the 2 things that TRULY do lead to weight loss:

- eat less
    - move more

all of that other crap (raspberry ketones, diet pills, cleanses, hypnotic gastric bands, pregnant womens' pee injections, etc.) is crap.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    no,

and i am 41...doing it right is working for me
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Well, idk. But, it does tend to be temporary. No one I know has kept weight off after doing it, because it doesn't teach you to eat normally and couple that with an active lifestyle. Extreme low calorie diets will work, but they aren't healthy, and when you come off them, because you do have to come off eventually, you gain weight back almost as a rule
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    No---it is a money-making scam. I tried it 35 years ago---a terrible plan.

The poster above is correct---it all boils down to eating a little less than you need to maintain your body fat (and that isn't always easy if your metabolism has slowed down from various causes, aging, being very sedentary due to illness etc.) and exercising a bit more--even if you can only lift one-pound dumbbells at first. As you shed body fat, movement becomes easier and more enjoyable. "Shortcuts" never work for any length of time. A change in one's relationship to food and exercise is required. MFP is one of the best tools around for making those changes.
  • skhaun
    skhaun Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I think I will let let her know that she should research it very carefully before making a decision. My thought was- once you go off shots- will she have the skills to maintain any weight loss?
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    No, they are not.

The FDA has a warning about this "diet" plan.

http://www.fda.gov/forconsumers/consumerupdates/ucm281333.htm
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I think I will let let her know that she should research it very carefully before making a decision. My thought was- once you go off shots- will she have the skills to maintain any weight loss?

Probably not. It's very tempting to me, because I struggle and fail and struggle some more, but I need to learn what works for me and how to maintain it, so I'm doing it the old fashioned way- moderately decreasing calories and getting my butt off the couch.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    So she believes that her 'out of wack' hormones are the cause of her weight gain, so she plans to get pregnancy hormone injected? How is that logical?
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

Be careful in how your word your advice. In my experience, people who go for this stuff pretty much ignore the overwhelming evidence against it and tend to think anyone that disagrees is "out to get them."
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    no,

It is DEFINITELY WORKING for cranky.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    no
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    No.

/thread
    this \m/
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    no,

Yes, it is. :love:
  • lnsy613
    lnsy613 Posts: 19
    Options
    I did several rounds of the drops - and was quite successful dropping almost 50 pounds. BUT my body was not getting enough vitamins and minerals on a daily basis. My hair was falling out, my immune system was struggling and I became very suseptible to staph infection, my body was weak and ached. I recommend doing research through a doctor - most of the doctors I have been to since then to correct these issues are against it - and being doctor supervised (I'm not sure of the validity of a medical clinic to be honest). From my personal experience, I will not do it again - it was too dangerous for my overall health.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Advise her against it. There is plenty of info out there on the dangers of it.