Running at night, /jogging...

Options
Hey There,
Does anyone do their runs at night, if so, if not, why and how come?
Im contemplating getting a treadmill for at home because I dont wanna run outside and or at the gym
Thanks!

DOES ANYONE think about what others see when you run? Do you slow down when you pass another person or a vehichle?

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I prefer running outside because I have balance issues on the treadmill, not to mention the treadmill can be boring.

Be careful when running outside at night, though. Make sure you carry some kind of defense with you and wear bright clothing.
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    Run in higher traffic areas that are well lit.

I cannot run inside as I get bored after 10 minutes. Running outside is a much better workout and NOT boring. Plus, who doesn't like fresh air???
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Oh heck no.

It's either track or outside.

I can't do the dread mill.

I'd rather run in rain/snow.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I used to run in the early morning (5 AM) until around early November. I hated running in the dark. Just didn't feel safe and didn't enjoy it or look forward to it. So I switched it to evenings. And even though it's still dark, there are more people out and about, christmas lights, etc. But now that christmas light season is over, I only go out on the weekend when it's light. I just don't enjoy being out in the dark.....
  • jenndymond
    jenndymond Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I run outside, at night and usually alone. I know. Not the safest. But I wear Hi-vis clothing, and stick to high traffic and well lit areas.
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I used to run outdoors, but since I no longer race (I just run for exercise) I do it on a treadmill. I lift in the morning, run in the evenings. It works for me.
  • sassy_sadie
    sassy_sadie Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I run outside at night. Well, not this week, since it's -30 and that's way beyond my comfort zone. But in normal conditions, yes. I stick to busy(ish) streets. There are a lot of evening runners in my town so I'm never alone.
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I really can't stand treadmills, so I run outside, and usually after 9pm. Most of my route is lit, some of it has sidewalks, and this time of year I'm battling icy spots, but none of that seems to bother me. I take my dog, throw on some flashy lights, and really enjoy the cold air.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I run outside.....pretty much the only thing that keeps me in are temps below -10F, ice, and driving rain. I also run in the dark a lot. I just wear a lot of high vis stuff, bright colors, a flashing light armband, and I run in areas that I know are safe/I feel comfortable in. For example, I live in a small town, so I don't mind being by myself at night. But, if I run in a nearby larger town, I run with a friend. It wouldn't be safe to run alone.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I run at night almost always because my schedule doesn't allow me to do it in daylight. I kind of prefer night running, it's a little more peaceful and doesn't smell as bad (fast food stench, car exhaust). I have a well lit route and I wear hi vis clothing. I thought about carrying a knife once but I'm pretty sure I would just stab myself. LOL.

I figure...I'm running. I could probably run away from anyone who tried to screw with me. And if they were faster than me, I bet I have better stamina. As in, they'll be tired of struggling before they have me beat. I think someone would have to have a gun or a knife to best me. In which case, I'd be screwed, anyways.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I run in the dark a lot. If I run on the road I wear lights front and back so I don't get hit by a car.
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I usually run outside, in the evenings. If I run too late, I have trouble getting to sleep at a decent time. If you prefer runing at night then go for it! It's a great way to work off the stress of the day.
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I run in the early morning in the dark, almost exclusively. Have never had an issue other than getting scared of shadows. I generally run on the side walk or in the bike lane and usually against traffic. I wear a head lamp also, although not as often as I should.

Unless you live somewhere with no sidewalks, in the ghetto, or are insanely accident prone, I don't see an issue with running in the dark.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I do the majority of my running in the dark...because that's when I have time to do it. Especially this time of year. If I'm on pavement I wear a reflector vest. If I'm on a trail I wear a headlamp. The only time I feel even the least bit concerned is if it's cold enough that if I had to stop for an injury that I would be in trouble. When that's the case I "loop" my course around the house as opposed to an out and back.
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner< I bike a lot at night though. Schedule thing. And I have lots of lights, plus my reffelctive jacket. My son once saw me and did'nt know it was me. He later told me he would'nt of hit me cause he was scared the glowing nuclear stuff would get on his car!!! lol........
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I just re-read your OP and saw that no one actually answered your question about slowing down. The only time I slow down is when there's a crosswalk and I'm unsure how the vehicle approaching is going to behave. As for approaching people, I stand up straighter and quicken my pace just in case they thought they were gonna abduct me or something so i look like too much of a bas@ss to do that to. LOL. retarded, but yes, i really do that. I like to think of it as the peacock defense.
  • Aplaxton
    Options
    I just re-read your OP and saw that no one actually answered your question about slowing down. The only time I slow down is when there's a crosswalk and I'm unsure how the vehicle approaching is going to behave. As for approaching people, I stand up straighter and quicken my pace just in case they thought they were gonna abduct me or something so i look like too much of a bas@ss to do that to. LOL. retarded, but yes, i really do that. I like to think of it as the peacock defense.

I just feel so out of place even walking out my door to go for a jog/run. How did you start? how did you all start?
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I prefer running outside, but I like to run during the daytime. My neighborhood is really dark and there are narrow roads where neighbors drive too fast on. I don't feel comfortable running in the dark.

I do slow down to pass people - just enough to make sure I can pass safely.

I was never worried about how I looked while running. My whole neighborhood is really active so we all just look silly together I guess. :laugh:
    I have never been one to worry about what other people think. I love the benefits of running too much to not run. I started with a c25k app. I started on the treadmill, but quickly moved it to outside.
  • jallenjax
    jallenjax Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Running on concrete or asphalt kills my legs. I stick to the treadmill.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I work graveyard 11pm-7am including weekends. It's rarely busy on the weekends so I'll go outside and jog a couple of miles. I work at a Naval base so little traffic, no crazies I need to worry about other than the occasional drunk sailor stumbling about, plus there's a track that I use and a 8 story garage building with stairs that I tackle as well.