HCG shots safe?

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I think I will let let her know that she should research it very carefully before making a decision. My thought was- once you go off shots- will she have the skills to maintain any weight loss?

Not only is this an issue, but so much muscle is lost in the process that you actually can't eat as many calories as you used to when you're done. Even though my in-laws followed the instructions for coming off the shots they still gained everything back. The worst part is the cyclical nature of it. My mother-in-law still does rounds of the shots every time she gains back the weight, which is over $100 per month and she needs them more and more often. If you ask her though, she'll still claim that it works.

I doubt your friend will listen to your advice, but when she does start to lose weight quickly don't be tempted to join her.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    No, they are not.

The FDA has a warning about this "diet" plan.

http://www.fda.gov/forconsumers/consumerupdates/ucm281333.htm

^This.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I think I will let let her know that she should research it very carefully before making a decision. My thought was- once you go off shots- will she have the skills to maintain any weight loss?

Be careful in how your word your advice. In my experience, people who go for this stuff pretty much ignore the overwhelming evidence against it and tend to think anyone that disagrees is "out to get them."

^ This too. Approach with caution, especially if she's already invested money into this.
  • Snitch1
    Snitch1 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    My daughter has done this "money grabbing" scheme 3 times.

******If it worked, why does she have to keep repeating it?********:noway:

And, the night before, you gorge yourself until you are sick, of all the foods you crave.
    How does that make sense?:noway:
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    tracey-jordan-nope.gif
  • joree2013
    Options
    No sense at all except to those looking for the "quick fix", I guess.
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 - the only HCG shot I have had was for IVF. So far, calorie reduction is working just fine for me.
  • SaraBelle0312
    SaraBelle0312 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who did this AND healthy diet and excercise and lost 30 lbs healthfully in 4 months. She runs races. I think if it is used as a tool and not a crutch, with ALOT of medical monitoring, it can work.

Just saying.
  • eandrsmom
    eandrsmom Posts: 119
    Options
    I turned 40 this past July and currently weigh 48 pounds less than when I did. Almost back to college skinny after 20 years and two kids. No shots....just heavy lifting and eating like an adult! ;-)
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who did this AND healthy diet and excercise and lost 30 lbs healthfully in 4 months. She runs races. I think if it is used as a tool and not a crutch, with ALOT of medical monitoring, it can work.

Just saying.

If she did a healthy diet she did not stick to their prescribed 500 calories...Because that is never healthy, no matter how much medical monitoring goes into it....
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Someone close to me has been doing this diet off and on for the last 6 months, I think they have dropped 30 or so pounds. They have had problems with breaking out in hives and energy issues. I have given up on trying to explain why this "diet" is not safe and I just let them do what they do. I understand wanting to lose weight but really 500 calories a day? Sometimes to boils down to letting people do what they want and when it doesnt work in the long run they might take your advise.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Someone close to me has been doing this diet off and on for the last 6 months, I think they have dropped 30 or so pounds. They have had problems with breaking out in hives and energy issues. I have given up on trying to explain why this "diet" is not safe and I just let them do what they do. I understand wanting to lose weight but really 500 calories a day? Sometimes to boils down to letting people do what they want and when it doesnt work in the long run they might take your advise.

Yes, fortunately, 500 calories are not sustainable for most people---they will quit before they get sick.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    no,

and i am 41...doing it right is working for me

Bam. This right here.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I'm 43. You don't need HCG shots to lose weight, no matter how old you are.
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    No, they are not.

The FDA has a warning about this "diet" plan.

http://www.fda.gov/forconsumers/consumerupdates/ucm281333.htm

^^^^^Read this!!

I have a friend who did HCG, very successfully lost weight far too quickly, is now larger than ever and she only did it about 4 months ago.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    OMG NO NO NO NO! Talk her out of it. My niece got the shots and ended up in the hospital after she started peeing 'black' stuff. She was sick for a long time, could have kidney damage, and it could have killed her. The only reason you lose weight is because you are on a SUPER low calorie diet.
    Edited to add: I'm 51 years old and I've lost 40lbs and gained 8lbs of muscle, just by eating right and exercising. Yeah, it takes effort but it's the only way to do it, stay healthy and MAINTAIN your weight after you've lost it!
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Most HCG protocols require a 500 calorie per day diet. Anyone will lose weight on that. IMO - it's a complete waste of money and health!
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    No, it's not. Plus she will gain all her weight back plus more as well.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Not again.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

Be careful in how your word your advice. In my experience, people who go for this stuff pretty much ignore the overwhelming evidence against it and tend to think anyone that disagrees is "out to get them."

And if you disagree with them on MFP, chances are you are called a "hater" a "crabby pants" or whatever else they can come up with...after you get reported for disagreeing with someone...

But back to the OP...please persuade this person to steer clear of this dangerous fad diet. It is most certainly NOT worth sacrificing your body's total health to lose a few pounds by taking a hormone that is NOT linked to weight loss and eating less than some people with horrible eating disorders do.