Obese and Running- HELP

Options
I would like to run a marathon (or even a half marathon). As an overweight kid, and now an overweight adult I've never had to chance to accomplish something athletic like this. It's strange but I feel like if I do this it will give me that feeling that perhaps I never got as a kid. I never received a trophy or was great at any thing (boohoo I know). Now I want to see what I can do!

The last time I tried I was 315 lbs or so (I'm 296 right now) and I ended up doing something to my back and was in pain for a few weeks.

Also running is kinda painful.. my fat flops around a LOT (yeah I know tmi) and having a larger chest doesn't help things either.
Other than that there is no problem with breathing or feeling like I'm going to die. I have a decent bit of cardio strength built up. I hike a few times a week at inclines with a pack ranging from 10-15 lbs.

Any suggestions for me on how to combat these problems? Am I too large to start running right now? Should I wait until I lose some more weight so I don't damage my back and knees? Should I try spanx to help with the fat jumping around?

Thanks for the help

Replies

• Cristin129
    Options
    I don't have any suggestions other than to start slow. I am doing the same thing. I am going to start the C25K program as soon as the weather breaks. Definitely interested in what people have to say.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    if running is painful now than i suggest you focus on loosing a bit more weight first, consult with your doctor too, then try running. you might also want to consider doing something that's a much shorter distance like a 5k. a marathon is VERY LONG, very tiring race (one i can't wait to do), heck a half is A LOT (i'm running my first in june). you may be in shape but running does take a toll on your knees and that's without added weight. that's my 2 cents. good luck
  • cyberiarob
    cyberiarob Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    How comfortable are the shoes you wear when running? Shoes with extra padding might help.
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Obviously half marathon and full marathon are WAYYYYYYYYYY far off.... I realize that. Mainly I just want to get started running.

@rob - Currently don't have shoes that are good for running. My old pair wore out and I've yet to buy new everyday shoes. I wear a hiking boot all the time atm... but if I do take up the running thing I will be getting a pair of shoes.
  • wrotruck
    wrotruck Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Try this link for a training guide:
    http://www.digitalrunning.com/couch-to-marathon-training-plan/

You'll will also want to invest in a pair of running shoes classified as a "heavy trainer." They will lesson the wear and tear on your knees and hips as you mileage totals start to increase.

Find a friend who will train and run the event with you. The accountability and encouragement is pricless when you are training for your first marathon.

Good luck and have fun!!!
  • sassy_sadie
    sassy_sadie Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My suggestions:
    - find a running program that starts off slowly (like C25K)
    - join a running group for motivation

Definitely get new shoes before you start. Get fitted properly at a running store.
  • blueboxblues
    blueboxblues Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I agree with a previous poster; if you are in pain slow down. You can walk for now and gradually increase your speed; walking has the benefit of less bouncing. I see you said you plan on getting shoes, also invest in a quality sports bra. Shell out the extra money for quality, trust me; those Target brands aren't worth anything if you're bigger than a C cup. (Mine was in the $80 range and worth every penny.)
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    If you really want to run and it's not physically hurting you (other than the fat flopping), then try some better fitting workout gear that will help hold it all in place. Make sure you have good shoes, and if you have actual lasting pain anywhere, then hold off on the running. Another suggestion is to simply run more slowly and find a comfortable incline that works for you. I cannot run with a 0% incline because it feels jarring to me, so I keep it at .5 bare minimum. I'm working in higher inclines on the treadmill, but always stay at the .5.

If you find that you aren't able to run yet, I highly recommend continuing with the hill hiking and doing hill intervals on the treadmill. If you work your pace up faster and faster at higher inclines you really zap the calories and build cardio endurance so taht when you can run you are able to do so more easily.
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I used the C25K program to start running. I was around 250 or so when I began. Definitely make sure you have proper footwear and go at your own pace. Start slowly as endurance is more important than speed when you are beginning.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    -I agree start walking first. I did this, not because of my weight, but because how out of shape I was. Walk 30 min a day 4-5 days a week at least (or every day if you can!) for a couple months first. You'll later be thankful you did this.
    -Go to a running store and get fit for good running shoes. Yes they are pricey, but a good pair of shoes is totally worth it. Someone will pipe up in 5 minutes and suggest you go barefoot or minimalist. You have to figure out what's good for YOU though.
    -There's a lot of good compression running gear out there, don't be afraid to wear it. And also, it seems crazy, but the more you run the more your body will "tighten up". I didn't lose weight when I first started running (wasn't watching my diet) but my body tried to optimize itself for running and moved a lot of my loose hanging fat around.
    -Couch to 5k is my favorite beginner program. Yes you can download an app for it, you can also just get the schedule off the internet and use a hand timer and just run for time. Nice and cheap. Take it slow. Take rest days. Repeat days and weeks as needed. Go slow. Don't try to "run" just try to jog, you will be able to last longer.

If you search around on the Active community site there is an ongoing thread for runners who weigh 200+ lbs. So there's a lot of folks out there. And last tip is just get out there and do something!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Compression clothing to help any flopping (You can put something more flattering over top of them), good shoes professional fitted at a running store, a good bra, and the right program.

For a program, consider www.jeffgalloway.com for a good program. He does run/walk intervals which are MUCH easier on your body than continuous running. And surprisingly, I find I'm faster that way too! I'm doing my first half this year, and will be using the Galloway method.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Get fitted for proper shoes first, and invest in some good, solid compression gear. The flopping is a bad thing- puts extra strain on the skin's connective tissue and makes it less likely over time for yous skin to tighten up.

Then, start slowly- really slowly- even slower than you think feels 'right'. Only do a little bit at a time, and alternate with walking. You want to push yourself a little bit, but not too much. Once you mix in a little running, allow yourself a day or two afterwards to see how it feels on your joints- joint feedback isn't immediate. It might be worthwhile to ice your joints immediately after running if you've had trouble in the past. If something new starts bothering you, back off the impact and consider going for more of a speed-walking approach.
  • angelajmrn
    angelajmrn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I think that I would try and loose some more weight first. That will take a lot of pressure off of your back and knees. I have knee problems and tried running. It was very painful. I am going to try and loose about 20 more pounds before I try again. Also I did realize that a good pair of running shoes makes all the difference. I was using shoes that I used for walking. A trainer told me that you should never use your running shoes for walking. When we walk we "ware down the shoes differently" than when we run. I splurged and got a separate pair of running shoes and it made a world of difference for my back/shins/and knees. Good luck. You can do it.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    i second the C25K and the good shoes and the talk w/ the doc.

the only thing i have to add is, i had issues w/ fat flops too, got a cheapy shapewear (b/c they don't make actual compression clothes in my size) and a really good bra. everything stays in place that way.

good luck and have FUN!
  • Honeybea86
    Options
    Tight sweat wicking clothes start off with a run walk program and set mini goals
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Am I too large to start running right now? Should I wait until I lose some more weight so I don't damage my back and knees? Thanks for the help

No and No! As others have said start slow and get some comfy cushioned shoes. I have flat feet, so I keep a tennis ball handy to roll under my feet after a run.....Keeps my feet from staying sore. But you can do it...keep a watch handy and run further and further each time even if its a minute. You'll be run ready in no time.
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Seems like before I do anything I will need some shoes and some clothing to help with the flops!

@1fizzle

I have a tennis ball around for that already. I have Plantar fasciitis , from hiking and it does wonders when my feet are dying!