Pancakes without the guilt? YES!!!

Options
COTTAGE CHEESE PANCAKES (makes 16 pancakes)

1 c. whole wheat flour
1 t. dried grated orange rind
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1 c. skim milk
1 c. dry curd or nonfat cottage cheese
4 egg whites, lightly beaten

Combine the whole wheat flour, orange rind, and baking powder. Stir to mix well. Add the milk, cottage cheese, and egg whites, and stir to mix well.

Coat griddle or large skillet with non-stick cooking spray and preheat over medium heat.

For each pancake, pour enough batter to make a 3" circle. Cook until tops are bubbly and the edges are dry. Turn and cook for another minute or so.

Serve hot, topped with "Berry Fresh Fruit Sauce."

Nutritional information for one pancake:

43 Calories, 0.2 g Fat, 1 mg Cholesterol, 1 g Fiber, 4 g Protein, 57 mg Sodium

BERRY FRESH FRUIT SAUCE (makes 2 1/4 cups)

1/4 c. sugar
1 T. cornstarch
3/4 c. white grape juice
2 c. fresh or frozen mixed berries, or sliced strawberries

Combine the sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Slowly stir in the juice. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.

Add the fruit to the juice mixture and bring to a second boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until the fruit begins to break down and the mixture is thickened and bubbly.

Serve warm over pancakes, French toast, or waffles. Store any leftovers (yeah, right.. "leftovers".. good one!) in the refrigerator for up to a week.

Nutritional information for 1/4 cup:

51 Calories, 0.1 g Fat, 0 mg Cholesterol, 1.1 g Fiber, 0.4 g Protein, 1 mg Sodium

Just a few of my own notes:

This was my first time making pancakes with cottage cheese. I think next time I'll run the batter through a blender so it's not so "curdy." Also, and this is just my personal taste, I wasn't crazy about the orange rind. Something about it just didn't seem to fit. I wasn't feelin' the love with the orange! Next time I'll probably add a sprinkle of cinnamon and vanilla extract instead.

On the other hand, the berry sauce .. I could have eaten straight from the saucepan! SOoooo yummy!

DSC07801sm.jpg

Replies

• lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    OMG that looks SOOOOO GOOD!!!!
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    ooooooooooohhhhh!!!!!!!!! those loooooooooooooooooook wonderful!!!:love:
  • lindalloo
    lindalloo Posts: 47
    Options
    It IS yummy! And the best part is that I had four pancakes with the sauce (still warm *drool*) for supper last night and it was only 223 calories! I had planned for eight pancakes, but that was actually too much. Four left me perfectly satisfied!

Gee.. I use a lot of exclamation points when I'm happy! :bigsmile:
  • TonyaR
    TonyaR Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna have to make them my kids LOVE pancakes! Well I like them too!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Bump, bump, bump! Those pancakes look sooooo good! I can't wait to try them.
  • amk44
    amk44 Posts: 159
    Options
    OMG!!! You're an angel from Heaven!!!!! I am the world's biggest pancake lover (My daughter keeps pestering me to open a pancake restaurant.) I usually add whole wheat, bran, and flax, etc, but your recipe looks divine. I treat myself to "a pancake" with fresh fruit on it at least once a week. Hey! I know pancakes and bread are no-no's usually, but choosing the right bread (35-40 calorie whole wheat) and making one's own pancakes using whole grains and egg whites can indeed be acceptable on a diet (at least on mine!). I'm here to say that I'm a pound and a half from my "that's way far beyond an attainable goal" target, and I didn't give up my pancakes and bread. Heck, don't know where I would have gotten my whole grains if I had... LOL!
    Thanks SO MUCH for posting this. I'll put cottage cheese on my next grocery list. Can't wait to try this... :love:
  • lindalloo
    Options
    I'm glad to see everyone is enjoying this recipe even if you're just looking at the picture (for now). Something I didn't mention in my original post is the texture. I found this recipe produced a pancake that was more like a potato pancake .. dense and "wettish." Not the usual light, fluffy bread- or cake-like pancake we're used to. But still VERY good! Next time I make these, I might try the dry curd cottage cheese instead (will definitely be running THAT batch through the blender). Maybe the batter is too moist with regular cottage cheese. At any rate, this is the nice thing about meals like this. They're so much fun to experiment with!
  • Baloo
    Baloo Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    bumping for later sounds heavenly I see lots of potential in that sauce!!
  • naeS1Sean
    naeS1Sean Posts: 21
    Options
    Mmm...
  • kimhurt
    kimhurt Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    bump... must try those later! Thanks for sharing.
  • lindalloo
    Options
    bumping for later sounds heavenly I see lots of potential in that sauce!!

~LOL I know what you mean! After it was finished, slightly thickened, and still warm.. I took a few moments to daydream about the many things I could drizzle that sauce over!
  • Claimus
    Claimus Posts: 16
    Options
    bump
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I make a healthy low cal, low fat, high fiber version of pancakes with whole wheat flour, oatmeal and bananas.... never thought of using cottage cheese- but boy does that photo look appetizing! (although, it may be that fruit on top that makes me think it looks so good)
    :wink:

I'll post the link to my pancake recipe thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/33830-oatmeal-wheat-banana-pancakes
  • Hopey1994
    Hopey1994 Posts: 307
    Options
    bumping to mark and try later....they look amazing!
  • lindalloo
    Options
    I make a healthy low cal, low fat, high fiber version of pancakes with whole wheat flour, oatmeal and bananas.... never thought of using cottage cheese- but boy does that photo look appetizing! (although, it may be that fruit on top that makes me think it looks so good)
    :wink:

I'll post the link to my pancake recipe thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/33830-oatmeal-wheat-banana-pancakes

That sounds very much like another recipe I have for Banana Granola Pancakes (made with low-fat buttermilk). Once I taste-test them, I'll post the recipe and picture. In the meantime, I think I'll check out your link. A thread dedicated to pancakes?? I love it!!!!

Signed,
    lindalloo (who could eat pancakes every day, all day long) ♥
  • schlieffen
    schlieffen Posts: 269
    Options
    Bump! I love me some pancakes!
  • peggymk
    peggymk Posts: 1
    Options
    If you put the cottage cheese in the blender first and give it a couple of pulses, it won't be lumpy! Give it a try.
  • Thaedra
    Thaedra Posts: 52
    Options
    I'm glad to see everyone is enjoying this recipe even if you're just looking at the picture (for now). Something I didn't mention in my original post is the texture. I found this recipe produced a pancake that was more like a potato pancake .. dense and "wettish." Not the usual light, fluffy bread- or cake-like pancake we're used to. But still VERY good! Next time I make these, I might try the dry curd cottage cheese instead (will definitely be running THAT batch through the blender). Maybe the batter is too moist with regular cottage cheese. At any rate, this is the nice thing about meals like this. They're so much fun to experiment with!
    I recently discovered fat free ricotta by Precious, and I am going to try it in this recipe. I have heard about ricotta pancakes for a while, and I'll bet they turn out KILLER :)
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    bump