Anyone successfully lose weight eating 1200 cal or less?

Options

Replies

• AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    yep, I'm almost 40 lbs down since May. Exercise and 1200ish calories. Do what your body likes, not what other people do. Everyone's different.
  • joann1948
    joann1948 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have lost 85 lbs since April 2011, eating 1200 calories a day. I didnt follow the program for a while but never gained any back. I have 30 lbs to go......:heart:
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I eat a -NET WORTH- of 1.2k calories. Meanng I eat my workout calories. But yeah it works.
  • siandannie
    Options
    Depends on your size and activity level, just like anything else. Make the calories count!
  • Klopford
    Klopford Posts: 129
    Options
    I aim for that but often go over by a hundred or so. Lost 7lbs so far. It's easier for me to hit it on the weekends as I often sleep through breakfast. XD
  • ddundonald
    ddundonald Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 20lbs so far since starting my diet 2 months ago, so not very much yet and quite a bit less than I had hoped. My MFP target is 1,330 a day, but I am very often below that and get the "starvation" warning when I submit my calories for the day.

I have been considering increasing my calorie intake to about 1500 to see if I lose weight faster. However, my philosophy with eating is not to eat anything wih sugar in it, and I am finding it actually quite hard to eat 1500 a day!

Today for example, I had Special K for breakfast, a Greek salad for lunch and together that only comes to 400 calories or so. For dinner I have plans to go out to a steak restaurant, but even a (8oz fillet) steak with fries is only about 700 calories which would bring me up to 1100.

I am finding myself eating things before going to bed, not because I am hungry, but because I am worried that my body is going into starvation mode!
  • RavenHershey0107
    Options
    Simple answer is yes, people have lost weight eating 1200 calories.

Much better answer is no, you won't healthfully lose weight loose weight eating that few calories.

This. Plus, you're more likely to gain back all the weight once you start eating your BMR/maintenance level if you lose on a low-calorie diet.

Says who? Most Doctors recommend that for women. I guess you both know more than they do. Congratulations on being so smart.

1200 is perfectly fine for women. Ask a doctor but then they are apparently not the right choice for medical opinions like MFP anonymous posters are.

Actually 1200 calories is not fine for a lot of women. Even coming from my doctor a lot of people get stuck on the 1200 cal magic number and they are really clueless to what they should actually be comsuming. All a 1200 calorie diet got me was a destroyed metabolism and a skinny fat body. This time I actually quit listening to random "experts" and got the facts. I was surprised to find out that my BMR was over 1400. No wonder my body was so messed up. That's all in the past now. I guess I just finally woke up.
  • Lindsay_N
    Lindsay_N Posts: 100
    Options
    I net between 800 - 1200 a day.

Though on weekends I usually have around 1500
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I lost a ton of weight eating 800 cal/day two years ago. I also lost my coloring, my hair, and my period among other things. 1200 is the recommended minimum for a reason. Tread carefully. If you do go that low, you really have to think about meeting your nutritional needs.
  • fizzletto
    fizzletto Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I am a very little girl with a very low BMR and quite sedentary. My TDEE (what I'd need to eat per day to maintain my weight) is only 1600 or so. I've lost 30lbs so far from eating around 1,200 - 1,300 calories per day and doing a bit of exercise. For the average person (and I am far littler than average) 1,200 wouldn't be enough.
  • Rosalyn94
    Rosalyn94 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yes, I lose weight eating 1200 cals (about 1400 if working out that day) and I lose fine at that. I read about eat more to lose more and tried eating above my bmr but below my tdee for about a month and i gained weight and didn't lose any inches.
    Just stick with what works for you.
  • DaphneAtx
    Options
    I eat 1300 cals, but I've lost 25lbs since September. I ate a LOT higher protein than MFP gives you though. I know that made a difference
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/815367-40lbs-lost-with-pic?page=1

I net 1200-1400 and my TDEE is 2920. I'm NOT losing 3.5lbs per week, which is what the numbers say I should be losing. I lose 1.5-2lbs per week. Numbers aren't always right.
  • amystev21
    amystev21 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    BUMP BUMPPPPP BUMP!
  • CocoEliot
    CocoEliot Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i'm trying to eat that little every day but finding it really hard. i do okay until mid afternoon and it just slips from then on. i end up eating between 1500-2500, which means i'm not losing, and sometimes even gaining weight.
    i want to cry.
    why can't i do this?

please help me somebody
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Yup. I've lost 60 lbs eating 1200-1450. I eat back exercise if I am hungry. I've maintained that loss for several years. It's the last ten pounds I am working on now....
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    i'm trying to eat that little every day but finding it really hard. i do okay until mid afternoon and it just slips from then on. i end up eating between 1500-2500, which means i'm not losing, and sometimes even gaining weight.
    i want to cry.
    why can't i do this?

please help me somebody

Have you tried higher protein and lowering carbs to help with hunger and cravings? I'm not talking Atkins, just playing with your macros a little?
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    1200 here.. yep, it worked!
  • Dyann_Alvarez
    Dyann_Alvarez Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am right now but that will come to a disappointing halt! I'll have to bump it up a couple hundred calories. Been there, done that.
  • dbkrantz
    dbkrantz Posts: 138
    Options
    I've been eating 1240 calories / day and so far so good!

If I do exercise or walk more than usual, I eat calories back. I am 5'2" and weigh about 138 lbs.