Spaghetti

Options
asratka
asratka Posts: 9 Member
Does anyone out there have a good recipe for someone that loves anything Italian? I need my fix of spaghetti or lasagna or penne or any good pasta dish! But I need something healthy.

Replies

• metalheadbetty
    Options
    Try the health food store and search for some alternative products. Pasta is a bad carb but once and a while is okay - just have a smaller serving and make sure you are eating lots of veggies with it as well as exercising.
  • fungirl1234
    Options
    make it whole wheat and look up a healthy sauce like on spark people
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I really, really like to use spaghetti squash for my noodles. When you do that, your sauce and any cheese can take up almost all of your dinner calories.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I really, really like to use spaghetti squash for my noodles. When you do that, your sauce and any cheese can take up almost all of your dinner calories.

^THIS! Yum!!
  • Kris10V77
    Options
    Definitely whole wheat pasta over flour pasta. Make it a veggie pasta- add zucchini, cauliflower , broccoli, squash, eggplant, on top. Less pasta, more veggies. You'll get that "full" feeling without chowing down on all those carbs but still allow yourself the pasta. Also- a hefty mixed green salad with balsamic will help you fill up before the pasta- you should eat less. Hope that helps :)
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I buy Dream Fields pasta (low carb, high fiber and low glycemic). Apart from that, my family really likes Prego, so I get the Heart Healthy Fresh Mushroom kind and just consider spaghetti night a splurge night for me.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Try the health food store and search for some alternative products. Pasta is a bad carb but once and a while is okay - just have a smaller serving and make sure you are eating lots of veggies with it as well as exercising.

Pasta is not a bad carb. There is no such thing as a bad carb. Pasta is great and you should eat it as much as you like, whenever you like IIFYM. If you want to kick up the healthy factor a notch, have some pasta made with whole what. I like the barilla 51% whole wheat. It still uses semolina so it tastes great!
  • suz2411
    suz2411 Posts: 33
    Options
    We have a product here in Australia called "Slim Pasta" its only 11 calories per serve!
  • frankyk89
    frankyk89 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    i've been using rice spaghetti... no one in family notices a difference.
  • softwind
    softwind Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat pasta, a homemade sauce or they even make light ones, and lots of veggies.
  • AngelaKelly02
    AngelaKelly02 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    We have a product here in Australia called "Slim Pasta" its only 11 calories per serve!

It tastes awful though!

Whole grain pasta is okay, more nutritious but just about as many calories.
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do when I need a good pasta fix: I steam a bunch of veggies, and cook a little pasta. Then put the veggies in a bowl, top with pasta, and pour a little sauce over the top. Its healthy, you eat less pasta, but still get your fix. Also, try spaghetti squash. When cooked right, its absolutely delicious!
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Growing up in a family that owned an Italian restuarant, pasta has always been a staple in my diet! Now when I make it I us Barilla plus pasta. I make homemade sauce so I can monitor whats going in it. My kids love spagetti with fresh garlic, roasted cherry tomatoes and a bit of olive oil...add some sauteed broccolli and fresh or frozen peas .....delish!!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey and whole wheat pasta is what we always do for spaghetti. Sometimes we will do the veggie pasta (rotinit or whatever) instead.
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Growing up in a family that owned an Italian restuarant, pasta has always been a staple in my diet! Now when I make it I us Barilla plus pasta. I make homemade sauce so I can monitor whats going in it. My kids love penne or farfalle with fresh garlic, roasted cherry tomatoes and a bit of olive oil...add some sauteed broccolli and fresh or frozen peas .....delish!!
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I buy Dream Fields pasta (low carb, high fiber and low glycemic). Apart from that, my family really likes Prego, so I get the Heart Healthy Fresh Mushroom kind and just consider spaghetti night a splurge night for me.
    I just "discovered" that sauce a month ago and love it. :heart: Fell in love twice when I found out that Sam's Club sells it in bulk! :love: Also recently introduced to "Barilla Plus" whole wheat pasta; high in protein/fiber yet negligible sodium. :flowerforyou:
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I like whole wheat pasta better! I make it with diced canned tomatoes,fresh basil and a little fresh parm.And a study released just today says a cup of whole weat pasta a day regulates blood sugar. Just load on the veggies and it's a great base for a veggie rich meal.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti with clams and/or mussels. No specific recipe, but you can find one online.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    See the theme here? A little pasta for the craving A LOT of veggies!
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    1 Red bell pepper sliced
    1 yellow bell pepper sliced
    1 large red onion wedged
    1 clove of garlic
    1 lb turkey sausage - hot or sweet, your choice, broken up or sliced into wheels
    1 can diced tomatoes
    3 cups cooked penne pasta
    oregano
    basil
    parsley
    chili flake
    Salt & Pepper

Brown the sausage in a little olive oil, remove from pan and drain excess oil, leaving about 1 tbsp.
    Add the peppers, onions and garlic, lightly saute until the onions start to turn translucent
    Add the sausage back in, add the tomatoes and seasonings, cook together until sausage is done and flavors blend
    Serve over the penne

Makes 6 servings, around 270 calories per.