Half marathon pointers for (fairly) new runner

Options
Last August, I decided to start running, despite hating it most of my life. I bought new shoes, updated my ipod, and started the C25K program. Finished my first 5k in October in 27 minutes and signed up for a series of 8 5ks in my area to keep me motivated.

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR A CHALLENGE.... I decided 2013 was the year to start checking items off my bucket list. First item is running a half marathon.

At this point in the game, I'm having no problem running 4 miles, so I'm HOPING the only set back I'll have in training for a half will be the weather (averaging around -20 lately) and not necessarily adding distance.

FOR ALL THE DISTANCE RUNNERS OUT THERE... If you could give me a few pointers (anything at all. Favorite socks, comfortable running gear, things that bothered you a few miles in that you'd change if you had a do-over), what would they be? I'm currently researching the best half marathon training schedule, so any recommendations you have would be a huge help!

THANK YOU :)

Replies

• PaulaJPatrick
    PaulaJPatrick Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am also interested in the replies you receive here. I started the C25K in August and I ran my first 5K in Nov and 4 since. My goal is the same as yours, to run a 1/2 marathon this summer (probably late August, early Sept). So please, runners, give us your advice. Thanks!
  • dbh3425
    dbh3425 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a quarter marathon in August and I'm interested in the replies to this post as well. :smile:
  • 22Gnomes
    22Gnomes Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first half in April. I did my first run today. I've done a few 5Ks and 8Ks but I don't really train for those. I'll be watching this thread!
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I, like you, became a runner despite thinking that I hated to run. Now I miss it if I miss a run! I am not a quiet/meditative person so running has become my meditation.

Here are my 1/2 marathon tips (after running 4 and now training for a 5th)
    1. LOVE your shoes. I now barefoot run in vibram five fingers because sneakers never felt right to me and I got a LOT of shin splints. My running partner, on the other hand, swears by her asics...to each her own. Go to a GREAT running store and try on all of their shoes.
    2. Really pay attention to how your body reacts to running. For example, I can NOT eat before a run. Ever. Doesn't matter the distance of the run (1 mile or 13.1 miles) so I have to be VERY careful to eat right the day before a long run and hydrate a LOT. I also carry sport beans with me on my runs. AND, at the end of a long race someone has to meet me with a propel and a banana.
    3. I swear by Under Armour - both their sweat wicking heat gear and their cold gear is the best stuff I run in.
    4. If you run outside in the winter buy a bulk pack of hand warmers off amazon - totally worth it.
    5. Cross train.
    6. Run a full 13.1 miles before you ever do the actual race on a comparable course. I was SHOCKED during my first half, the course was VERY hilly and my hip muscles were SO sore.
    7. Remember, finishing = winning!
  • girlnumber57
    Options
    My first half is in May. I currently have not done anything farther than a 10K, so I would love to hear these tips also.
  • elgray26
    elgray26 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    bump
  • emgel9
    Options
    one more, do NOT refuse the warming blankets at the end of the run!! Again, this is personal based on how your body reacts, but my body temp PLUMMETS after a run, as does my BP, after my first race I didn't take the blanket/aluminum wrap thing and i nearly blacked out. You need to take the blanket and walk for a long long long long time to cool down. Of course, not everyone reacts to long distance running like I do - these are just my personal tips!
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I'm getting ready for my 5th full marathon in a couple of weeks. I really enjoy the half distance, though.
    Just to add to what emgel9 said - get a routine. Do you eat before, do you use energy gels, do you carry water. Everyone has different routines that work for them. The important thing is that you get into one and stick to it. Race day is not the day to try out those new shoes or that new protein bar.
    I also love my UnderArmour clothing - compression shirts and shorts work very well for me on long runs. Might I also recommend Vaseline or BodyGlide - the after effects of chafing can be quite unpleasant. U
    Some trainers, like Hal Higdon, don't have you running 13.1 in their training plans, but I agree with emgel9 on this as well. Nothing will get you ready for that distance like doing it ahead of time.
    On race day, like I said, stick to your routine. Start the race slower than your normal pace. You'll want to get out of the start quickly, you'll be pumped for the run. Go slower and if you feel good, you can always pick up the pace. And, enjoy it. You're joining a very small percentage of the population who has run that far. No matter how you finish, you should be proud of that.
    Oh, and you asked about socks - I wear Swiftwicks. Really like them.
  • BettyBlueEyes
    BettyBlueEyes Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I decided last December to sign up for a half marathon on the 1st April 2012. That gave me 3 1/2 months to train. I hadn't run for around 16 years, was overweight, and when I started I did the C25K thing as well. Very disheartened to start off with, I managed 12 mins on a treadmill, and only about 6 of those were actually running.

I found that once I started running outside instead of in the boredom of the gym, and I found my pace (ie running but not completely out of breath), it got better.

I did the half marathon, and didn't stop once. OK, so I was pretty slow (2h29) but I did it :)

In retrospect, I shouldn't have pushed quite so hard - I had a previous knee injury which has now gone beyond the point where I can go running any resonable distance. So here are my tips:

1. Shoes, as emgel9 says. I got ones that were a size bigger than my feet, very comfy, and never had the horrible problem of toenails falling off (this happened when I started, I was using the trainers I'd been using in the gym).
    2. I found I didn't need to buy all the fancy other stuff. It turns out my legs work just as well in an old pair of joggers as they do in fancy running leggings.
    3. Always take water
    4. Build it up slowly
    5. Map out your route before you go, decide how many miles to go and stick to it.
    6. The hardest thing - getting out there and doing it, in the snow and ice, rain, dark, whatever. A bright day-glo vest is a good idea in the dark!
    7. Interval training - on your run sprint all-out for 30secs then back to normal pace. Build this up by increasing number of intervals and duration of them.
    8. Don't wear anything new on the day of the race. I wore a charity vest which was far too big and still have the scars from where the skin was rubbed off the inside of my arms.
    And finally...
    9. Listen to your body - if your knee swells to twice its size after every long run perhaps it's a bad idea!

I used this schedule: http://www.marathontrainingplans.co.uk/training-for-a-half-marathon/#more-141

Good luck!
  • littlekat1
    littlekat1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've ran quite a few 1/2 marathons (10) and 1 full marathon. I found a training plan on line and followed that (Hal Higdon intermediate). If you are relatively new to longer distances, go with a novice runner. Here are a few things that I have encountered and hopefully they will help.

1. Shoes. Very important. Go to a running store and have them fit you properly and then buy 2 pairs. Rotate your shoes. Never run a race in new shoes or newer shoes. I had to stop at mile 14 during the MCM to get blisters bandaged because I wore "newer shoes". I knew better. I wear Mizuno's Wave Creations and Asics.
    2. Clothes. Wear what is comfortable to you and ensure it wicks away the sweat.
    3. Body Glide. Get some. As I got more toned up, my sports bras didn't fit as well, I didn't think it was that big of a deal until I came home from a long run with chaffing under my breasts. It hurts. BAD. Just keep some in your car, just in case. Get good sports bras. I wear under-armour or moving comfort. Both are great and come in really cute styles and colors.
    4. Bio-Freeze. For those sore muscles, it will help out alot. Walmart sells a similar version called "max-freeze"
    5. Run your race. Listen to your body, if your hips or knees tell you to back off, do it. I didn't and ended up having labreal repair surgery on my left hip and NO running for 6 months.
    6. Water. Stay hydrated. I can't (for whatever reason) drink anything but water when I am running, experiment during your runs, but never on race day. Get a good camel back for your longer runs.
    7. Nutrition. You gotta eat. I got a book specifically on nutrition for long distance runners and it helped. Plus I had numerous people in my military unit who had run marathons before that offered up great advice. During a race, I can tolerate the chews. The gels make me want to gag. I carry what I can tolerate in my sports bras.
    8. Training Plan. Whatever training plan you go with, modify it to fit your needs. Also, ensure you stretch really good after every run, do some yoga, and lift some weights. Strengthen your legs, hips, and knees.
    9. Have fun! Find a running group in your area and join.

I miss running, I've finally been cleared (second hip injury), so I'm doing the Galloway method right now.

Good luck!!!
  • emgel9
    Options
    I def second the body glide...chafing sucks.

As for socks: I wear feetures light when I wear my minimalist running shoes for cross training.

I also love my Garmin Forerunner (which is a watch that tells me my distance, pace, time, etc...) but I love gadgets.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Some great advice there!

I'm doing my first half in April, and found that there are some good training plans on 'Walk,Jog,Run'. I specifically chose mine from there as they add in cross-training days, whereas some of the running sites only include running in their training plans. For me, cross-training (Spin and BodyPump) are just as important as the 'run' days in preventing injury.

Whichever training plan you use, stick to it. Don't be tempted to do more just because you can/ want to; they gradually increase the mileage over several weeks, so that you don't do too much, too soon.
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    1) Get fitted for running shoes at a real running store.
    2) Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.
    3) Don't over run. Find a good plan and follow it.
    4) Don't do anything race day you haven't done in training. So only eat things the days before a race/morning of race you are use to and have eaten before. Drink water and gatorade on your LSD (most common drinks at a race). If you use gels or other energy boost items (chomps, etc) use them on your LSD runs first. Use your training to test food and drink.
    5) If you can afford wicking clothing, get it. Even the cheap stuff at Walmart/Target is actually good stuff. It helps.
    6) Take liquid with you on any run 1 hour or longer. Can be a hand held bottle, waist belt holder or back pack. Besides what you eat or drink before a race, how you drink during your run will have the most affect on your outcome. Find where the aid stations are on your race and practice drinking at those distances in your training. Drink at every aid station and walk through the aid stations.
    7) Have fun and enjoy the training.
    8) Finally, don't have a set time goal for your first race. No matter how you do, you will set a PR. My first HM goals were: Don't die, Don't get injured, Finish the race (running/walking/both).
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Thank you, thank you, thank you, everyone! Such great advice! I'm going to check back later to see what other people have contributed!

I bought Asics 33 from an actual running store after trying on several pairs. I can already tell they're not the right ones for me, so I'll be shopping for a new pair in the near future.
  • LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. I did 3 half marathon's last year, and have my fourth coming up in May. One more thing I would add:

Do Not Overtrain, by that I mean follow a training plan and stick with it. If you have not done more than 4 miles at a time you want to bump up your distance by no more than 10% at a time. I learned the hard way, I went from running 5k's to doing a 10k with little training in between, big mistake. I could barely finish and could hardly walk for a week.

When I started training for my first half, I followed Hal Higdon's beginner plan, and never had a problem with the training. Come race day I felt prepared but was surprised how I ran out of gas the last couple of miles. I think some of it was excitement mixed with nervousness. That is the one thing I would change from his plan, and I think someone mentioned it. Run at least on 13 mile training run.

Good luck, and enjoy !!
  • emgel9
    Options
    If you aren't liking your asics check out some minimalist shoes when you go to look at other sneakers (nike free +, new balance minimus, etc...) they have converted a lot of people and are in between big sneakers and barefoot running. I know several runners who switched to minimalist shoes and found that it solved their knee pain/hip pain. Just try on everything.
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    I bought Asics 33 from an actual running store after trying on several pairs. I can already tell they're not the right ones for me, so I'll be shopping for a new pair in the near future.

A good running store will have you bring in your old pair of shoes (to observe wear), watch you run to understand your gait and a few other test. If you are just trying on shoes, it's just a shoe store not a running store. If there's a local running club they will have suggestions where to go.
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

A good running store will have you bring in your old pair of shoes (to observe wear), watch you run to understand your gait and a few other test. If you are just trying on shoes, it's just a shoe store not a running store. If there's a local running club they will have suggestions where to go.

[/quote]

When I bought the Asics (my first pair of running shoes, really), I did go to a reputable running store with trained sales professionals. They did observe my gait, among other things. Since I was literally starting at ground zero, I didn't have an old pair of shoes to bring them. I will definitely keep that in mind when I go shopping again! I'll bring in my Asics. I'm not sure if they're the wrong size, but the minute I slip them on, they're not comfortable.
  • chickievan
    Options
    i have 2 half marathons and find them very rewarding. it's enough of a challenge for this slow ex-non-runner. i don't think i'll ever do a full marathon, as slow as i go, it would take too long to train!! i'd love to do the disney princess half marathon though. if anyone has done that, let me know what you think!

i second the suggestions above, here are a few things that worked for me

- i have terribly flat feet and had to go to a running store to find one that wouldnt give me blisters. the shoes were over $100 but worth the investment!

- i use a lot of bodyglide - between the thighs, on my arches of my feet, under my sports bra. it definitely cuts down on the chafing and once it chafes, it is hard to keep from chafing there again if you're running regularly

- i like the running socks you find at the running stores that wick sweat. my favorite ones are the ones that actually state left and right on them, i don't know what brand mine are, but there are several that have that.

- i used some free half marathon runner app on my ipod touch mostly just as a guide as to how often and when to increase my runs. i was only able to run about 2- 3 times a week, so i just made sure to get my long run in each week.

- i was only ever good if i hydrated well the day before i ran. if you're drinking a lot of water when you're running, it's too late. i did use the gel cubes for the races, not sure it made a huge difference but it also helped me stay goal oriented (one - two cubes every few miles)

- i have to be motivated and distracted, so i made sure i had a good playlist and knew about how many songs i would need, it helps me to count them so i feel like i'm getting somewhere

- i chose to run my first half marathon in vegas - that was great because the whether was fabulous. of course, the year i did it, it was a morning run. now it's a night run which would be so neat. it helped me stay motivated and i knew i couldn't back out. also, i got to really celebrate after it was over!! i've decided to try to run a few more in some fun cities. it was one of the rock n roll marathon series.

i just had a baby and am gearing up to pick my next half to train for, any suggestions are welcome. i have only run two but i definitely noticed i trained better for the december one because the weather was better for running. training for the october one was terrible sometimes due to the heat in july and august.

hope it helps! thanks for starting the feed, i'm learning new things too!