Dr H on the Biggest Loser

Options
2»

Replies

• cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Right, but walking and jogging require YOU to self-motivate. Driving to a chemo clinic requires nothing at all. You walk in and then they give you the medicine and support, etc. The only real parallel to that would be hiring a personal trainer and nutritionist. My point is that if you have an illness or disease that insurance pays for, you get customized personal hands-on support. Weight loss requires self-motivation unless you're rich.

It still comes down to personal choice. My boyfriend refuses to go to a doctor when he's sick and probably wouldn't go to chemo appointments. It still takes "motivation" to go to a chemo treatment and suffer through the side effects.

There ARE free support groups for weight loss. You're on one right now.
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Love it! Glad that you posted this; I wish more doctor's were like him.
  • skhoy0815
    skhoy0815 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    very true! Thanks for sharing!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    If I had Cancer, my health insurance would spare no expense and surround me with doctors and nurses to help me. If I broke my leg, my health insurance would pay for rehab therapy. If wanted marriage counseling, my health insurance will pay for unlimited sessions with a counselor (co-pay still applies). If I wanted to quit smoking, my health insurance will now spare no expense to help me quit.

I'm fat and my health insurance will give me ONE free doctor visit PER YEAR and a crappy discount at the YMCA. I think I can get a blood test free every 5 years, too...

I wish people would give weight loss more than just lip service. It's a freaking disease and I'm barely surviving it with no help from anyone (financially). Imagine if the medical insurance community treated weight loss as seriously as they do cancer...

Walking and jogging are free. So are YouTube videos. Exercise doesn't always cost money; medicine does. That's the difference.

Right, but walking and jogging require YOU to self-motivate. Driving to a chemo clinic requires nothing at all. You walk in and then they give you the medicine and support, etc. The only real parallel to that would be hiring a personal trainer and nutritionist. My point is that if you have an illness or disease that insurance pays for, you get customized personal hands-on support. Weight loss requires self-motivation unless you're rich.
    My gym is owned by a large hospital, and there are a number of members there who have insurance paying for them as part of their physical therapy or part of some kind of healthcare plan. There's one member who is very overweight, and he comes in, scans his card (so the doctors can track his usage) chats it up with the ladies at the front desk, then just leaves. Every once in a while he'll go into the gym and walk the 1/12 of a mile lap around the track.....but last time I saw him he was telling the girls at the front desk how he was going to Costco to buy a case or Oreos (no joke!) and offered to bring them one too. I guess my point is that I don't believe having insurance pay for it motivates people who don't really WANT to get healthy.
  • JewelE77
    JewelE77 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Biggest Loser did motivate me to exercise. I used to watch it and exercise during that show. Now I dont watch it...I spend my evenings at the gym instead.

As much as I dont like him, I do have to say ... Dr. H. is right. It doesnt take 8 hours of exercise to change your health...but find the time to improve your health every day.

I run on the treadmill while I watch it now, it definitely motivates me! I hate to say this but it also makes me feel a little better about myself! I look at some of the girls on there crying about running on the treadmill and think "I weigh MORE than/the same as you and I'm running longer and faster and you don't see me griping about it!" :laugh: Definitely helps me push a little harder!
  • jnlynn
    jnlynn Posts: 101
    Options
    I watched that episode but didn't catch what he said. Thanks for sharing and it will make me think about getting more exercise in my life!
  • Ebelina07
    Options
    errrr......obesity, medicine, health insurance, hospitals, cancer, heart disease...........im freakin out here !!!!!!!!!!! :frown: :sick: :cry: wot a way of scarin pple!
  • 20Linda13
    Options
    We are a nation with a lot of obesity. Here is thanking media, entertainment , public focus on this. We lead more sedentary life styles with more fast fattening over processed foods. You're right that we need help relearning, support to stay focused and on track, but insurance can't do it all. At some point we each need to take individual responsibility for ourselves. Fat is something we give ourselves. I'm obese and can blame the quick descent into the sedentary, fast food multitudes on current culture. What we all want is help and we can get it from each other. Many people can't even get insurance these days. I can help me from needing to use healthcare dollars by taking care of myself. Self discipline is hard for me, but I'm pushing and learning and sometimes hanging on with my teeth. But doing it, slowly and consistently.
  • bubbins11
    bubbins11 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me of that statement!!
  • tolae2006
    tolae2006 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Wow no more excuses for me. 1440 minutes in a day I never thought about it that way.
  • raneylfrick
    raneylfrick Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    That is so fantastic...I love it! Maybe I can add it to my wall of encouragement!
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Ag455yLCMAAVjSs.jpg
  • lives21
    lives21 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way! Even just half that time in the gym a day would help combat my health problems. And it reminded me to be grateful I didn't have a terminal illness where I could do what was needed and still have no guarantee of getting healthy. Happy to be doing what I can!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    This whole "getting fit costs money" stuff is ridiculous. Since July 2012 I haven't spent a penny more on being healthy than I would on being "unhealthy".
    Running is free, walking is free, workouts on YouTube are free... Get a Netflix account for $10 or whatever a month and rent workout DVDs straight to your door.
    Stop making excuses.
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Meh, don't like the analogy. If I had to do chemo for 2 hours per day for the rest of my life (because exercise is a lifelong endeavour), ya know what? I probably wouldn't want to do it. I'd rather Zumba.